something happened to my sig... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 10:40 AM
something happened to my sig...

i added my email addy to my sig cuz i'm not premium right now so people can still contact me, and it was there earlier and yesterday, and now suddenly it's gone?

i could edit my sig before too

Old 01-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 08:40 AM
Hi ABEL,

As of this morning, using the Signature Editor (now the only way to edit your sig) requires a Premium Membership. Email addresses were also stripped from all non-premium member signatures.

Unfortunately, we have less Premium Members at this time than we did last year.... and the costs haven't declined.

Although most likely an unpopular change, I had to make the decision to make another aspect of the site Premium only... in order to give more incentive to help support the site.

As it stands, this forum offers more features for free than most other U2 forums, including the official one at u2.com.

This will also cut down on people using signatures as mehtods to advertise their own site w/o supporting this one.... as well as reducing the load time of pages due to all the images folks put in their sigs.

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

so my email addy was taken out but my link to my forum and my sig was left in? sorry lol.

i understand the need for change, but up until this change we were all told we could have email addy's in our sigs. until we renewed our premium memberships.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:31 PM   #4

Yep. Only emails were taken out. Nothing else. This was intentional.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:55 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:40 AM
But I don't want USA 4 - CAN 3 in my sig forever...
Old 01-16-2004, 12:11 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

haha! yeah, what a stupid way to try and get people to pay. I'm not forking over jack shit until the annoying Google ads are gone.

I just checked to not display my sig anymore since I can't edit it
Old 01-16-2004, 12:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
haha! yeah, what a stupid way to try and get people to pay. I'm not forking over jack shit until the annoying Google ads are gone.

I just checked to not display my sig anymore since I can't edit it

Unfortunately we need GoogleAds to help pay the server bills. If at the time we have enough Premium Members to insure that all the costs will be covered on an ongoing basis, I will remove GoogleAds.

This place isnt free to run, and money doesn't grow off trees.

Nice to see how appreciative some people are.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:56 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I'm aware of various costs involved with technology. I work full-time with computers/networking, we deal with it daily.

I'd rather pay more not to have any ads, or make it a pay-only service (or only browsing if you don't pay). Ads make everything take longer to load and are annoying to the users.

I don't care about having a sig, though it would be nice to at least have had the change to delete it.

Now that I think about it, I like the pay-only service idea. That way you are less likely to get trolls or people that register to try and sell stuff in All I Want Is U2. Is this not an option?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:10 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm aware of various costs involved with technology. I work full-time with computers/networking, we deal with it daily.

I'd rather pay more not to have any ads, or make it a pay-only service (or only browsing if you don't pay). Ads make everything take longer to load and are annoying to the users.

I don't care about having a sig, though it would be nice to at least have had the change to delete it.

Now that I think about it, I like the pay-only service idea. That way you are less likely to get trolls or people that register to try and sell stuff in All I Want Is U2. Is this not an option?

Personally, I think... as others most likely do... that by changing the site to pay-only... we would actually destroy the community thats been created, and slowly... Interference would die. This is not an option, and not the intent.

The only reason we have Premium Memberships is to help encourage people to support the site... since when over a year ago people were not donating on their own.. the honor system.. and instead passing the buck, and taking advantage of the 'free-ness'.

Over a year ago, this debate/discussion took place, the majority of users wanted a mixed membership... free and paid... and so it was decided mostly by popular 'vote'.

The google ads are text only, and do not contain any graphics. They do not slow the loading of the site. Numerous images in sigs slow the pages more than anything else.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:30 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:40 AM
i'm joning up soon as i get my first pay check
Old 01-16-2004, 08:45 AM   #11
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
Personally, I think... as others most likely do... that by changing the site to pay-only... we would actually destroy the community thats been created, and slowly... Interference would die. This is not an option, and not the intent.
i agree. while i too wish it could just become pay only, i know that would dramatically reduce the amount of posters here. how do i know this? well, i think of last year when the premium memberships came into affect and how many people, popular posters even, weren't premium. if they couldn't post, then interference would definitely be a less busy place.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:26 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

But if the most popular posters are NOT premium members, doesn't that make the situation a bit unfair? If your costs keep rising because of bandwidth, and your most popular posters are the ones NOT paying....you know? Besides, if these people are so popular, I don't think they'd give up Interference completely because they have to pay $12. Also, there's plenty of nice people here incase there are problems with no money or not the right currency. Lots of people were "adopted" last year and again this year. I just don't think it's fair to decide what happens based on who's "popular". Of course polling will show that people would rather have mixed membership, but maybe you should poll and see how many people would actually leave if posting was pay-only (like see what happens when there's not a choice).
Old 01-20-2004, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
But if the most popular posters are NOT premium members, doesn't that make the situation a bit unfair? If your costs keep rising because of bandwidth, and your most popular posters are the ones NOT paying....you know? Besides, if these people are so popular, I don't think they'd give up Interference completely because they have to pay $12. Also, there's plenty of nice people here incase there are problems with no money or not the right currency. Lots of people were "adopted" last year and again this year. I just don't think it's fair to decide what happens based on who's "popular". Of course polling will show that people would rather have mixed membership, but maybe you should poll and see how many people would actually leave if posting was pay-only (like see what happens when there's not a choice).

As I've stated previously...

I have NO intent on making this a pay-only site. I don't understand what the point of your argument is.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:35 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

As I've stated previously...

I have NO intent on making this a pay-only site. I don't understand what the point of your argument is.
The point is that you say people prefer a mixed membership site, but I'm assuming you polled with options. I'm curious to know how many of the "popular" posters that are so influential would actually leave Interference rather than pay the $12. For instance, a poll of such would say "Would you leave Interference if you had to pay $12 to post?" with only a Yes or No option. Has there been a poll like that? I don't remember one, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:42 PM   #15
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
The point is that you say people prefer a mixed membership site, but I'm assuming you polled with options. I'm curious to know how many of the "popular" posters that are so influential would actually leave Interference rather than pay the $12. For instance, a poll of such would say "Would you leave Interference if you had to pay $12 to post?" with only a Yes or No option. Has there been a poll like that? I don't remember one, but I could be wrong.
several people said they'd leave if it became pay only. some of these people ended up becoming premium anyway, but there is a vast majority of people who've said they won't pay and if they're forced to, they'll leave.

there's never been a poll with that question but i imagine there never will be. imo, you wouldn't get a fair answer. some may say they'll leave but will subscribe anyway, and of course you've got the vast majority who just won't vote.