Site maintenance tonight - 6/16/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Site Team
Staff member
We are going to have a brief service interruption this evening to do some server maintenance. It shouldn't last more than about 15 minutes and hopefully won't be a substantial inconvenience.:wave:

Not sure where to post this, but I've been experiencing trouble all day and I'm not the only one. The whole forum is slow as what, every page takes more than a minute to load. It's not my internet as all other websites I visit are normal. Does this have anything to do with the maintenance that was happening a few days ago?

There is some server tweaking going on right now. Will be slow for a bit.

Same, the forum would be out for a few minutes saying that on either the blue screen or a regular white html screen. BUt everything's running smoothly again right now, so thanks for that. :)

Here is the skinny. In January of this year we switched to a new server admin company. They took the site and put it on a new server and it was great at first. Then the server began to become unreliable and they kept charging an arm and a leg to "fix" the server that should have been working and not need fixing.

Just this past week we switched to a new server again. It hung last night on who knows what but we had to reboot to fix it. When you move to a new server you have to let the sites run for a while so they can optimize the serve based on the real traffic information from the sites. That's where we are now with the current server. In the following week we will optimize it based on the stats we have collected and we should be good to go.

Once a week on Friday morning we have to do maintenance on the site. This happens pretty early EST time zone. This week the maintenance took longer because we had to clean up a bunch of junk from the old server admin. For instance a process that normally takes 9 minutes was taking 15 minutes because of this extra junk. We cleaned it out and next week it will take 9 minutes (saving us 6 minutes). This process is like defraging your hard drive but it's done on the database to keep it running optimally. We also review backups and a handful of other items during the Friday morning maintenance schedule.

Back
Top Bottom