Request: optional youtube embedding - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
The Male

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Request: optional youtube embedding

This is one of the few qualms I've had with Interference 3.0 (or whatever installment this is), but, though my laptop is fairly up to date, pages packed with youtube links bring it to a crawl. Examples:

Christmas Songs That Dont Suck
Country music that's actually listenable
And, worst of all: Great 80s

Now, imagine if every youtube video in those threads was embedded on this page. How long would it have taken you to navigate to this sentence? This can all be avoided by making youtube links the same as any other links, with embedding an available option, possibly via [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] tags (see: No Homers Club - Powered by vBulletin, which utilizes the same software as Interference) or, less conveniently, through html code. Whichever is chosen, just make these threads navigable again. Make my Christmas a merry one.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I have no idea if its even possible to have both, but I can certainly ask. I think the majority of the members here would rather have the embedded option vs. links. I remember a lot of members were asking for this feature, and with the new forum software they were able to install it. Though if it were an option I assume it would ultimately be up to the poster to decide which method they wanted to use, so you still would not be able to control the embedding of other posters. Unless it was a setting in the users options as to how they wish to view youtube videos in forum posts. Again, no idea if this is possible.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
The Male

If the majority of Interference users would prefer embedding be automatic, a setting that could change the way you view the links would be ideal. I doubt that's possible though. What I'm just asking for is that links not embed automatically, but an option to do so would be easily available if that's what they wanted. This won't cut down on lag all that much, but it's better. Plus, a lot of youtube links don't allow embedding as it is.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it.

Now.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:12 PM
You could just adblock out embedded YouTube videos.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
The Male

Shut your face.

Still don't think it would cause Interfence any harm to make embedding an option though.

Now.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

It's not that it would cause Interference 'harm'. Its that it cant be done without some crazy altering of plug ins and hacks, and it just isnt practical to do all of that because one user has a problem with it. I did ask and that's pretty much the response I got. If every thread had an over abundance of embedded youtube videos I could see how it may be taxing on one's internet connection, but from what I seen there are very few threads where every post contains an embedded youtube video.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
She's the One

This is the very reason I never even open threads like these. It takes forfuckingever to load these threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
This is one of the few qualms I've had with Interference 3.0 (or whatever installment this is), but, though my laptop is fairly up to date, pages packed with youtube links bring it to a crawl. Examples:

Christmas Songs That Dont Suck
Country music that's actually listenable
And, worst of all: Great 80s

Now, imagine if every youtube video in those threads was embedded on this page. How long would it have taken you to navigate to this sentence? This can all be avoided by making youtube links the same as any other links, with embedding an available option, possibly via [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] tags (see: No Homers Club - Powered by vBulletin, which utilizes the same software as Interference) or, less conveniently, through html code. Whichever is chosen, just make these threads navigable again. Make my Christmas a merry one.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 AM   #8
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
This is the very reason I never even open threads like these. It takes forfuckingever to load these threads.
same here
Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
It's not that it would cause Interference 'harm'. Its that it cant be done without some crazy altering of plug ins and hacks, and it just isnt practical to do all of that because one user has a problem with it. I did ask and that's pretty much the response I got. If every thread had an over abundance of embedded youtube videos I could see how it may be taxing on one's internet connection, but from what I seen there are very few threads where every post contains an embedded youtube video.
I just know that it makes a lot of genre based threads in B&C almost impossible to navigate. An option per user to decide if you want to see links or embedded videos would be nice, or an option to decide as the poster of the link to embed or not to embed, but if those are both that difficult, oh wellz.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:12 PM
I didn't realise this was such a problem for so many people. I clicked on the Great 80s thread to see the problem for myself and the page loaded completely in 15 seconds at the outside. Makes me want to give my pc and internet connection a big sloppy wet kiss!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I didnt realize it was that much of a problem either. I have a pos slow ass comp at home and it may take a few extra seconds to load but so do all the picture threads in PLEBA.

Anyway this is the exact response I got from Janet.

Quote:
There is a special plugin that enables video embedding and there isnt an option for one user to disable it. But I've asked Andy about the practicality of altering the plugin.
So that's about all I can do.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
The Male

Thanks for asking. Obvs, if it can't be done, it can't be done. I won't stage a protest or call on the aid of people I know. Glad to see I'm not the only one with an issue re: these threads though. It's nice knowing you're not insane, or at least not alone in the insanity.

Now.