recent ban.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by mug222:
Since you're adamant that this isn't a warning, and since you refuse to name the newly banned (therefore making this post the courtesy post you have designated it), this announcement comes across as nothing more than a flexing of your administrative muscle.

Good point. Really what is the point of saying that someone was banned and not saying who? The only message it carries if we don't know who it was is that we shouldn't do things like that or we ourselves will be banned. Hence it appears to be a sort of warning. Does that make sense or am I missing something?

PS, I really don't see the point in censoring *******'s name, it makes it seem like there's some gigantic cover up going on.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 03-23-2002).]

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Good point. Really what is the point of saying that someone was banned and not saying who? The only message it carries if we don't know who it was is that we shouldn't do things like that or we ourselves will be banned. Hence it appears to be a sort of warning. Does that make sense or am I missing something?

PS, I really don't see the point in censoring *******'s name, it makes it seem like there's some gigantic cover up going on.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 03-23-2002).]

Yeah totally agree.

not to get involved here but, seeing the 'offence' wasnt forum-based but rather chat-based, couldn't another form of action have been sort rather than ban him from the forum. he had behaved well in here and maybe doesnt deserve that. isnt there another option?

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

[B}The only message it carries if we don't know who it was is that we shouldn't do things like that or we ourselves will be banned. Hence it appears to be a sort of warning. Does that make sense or am I missing something?[/B]

I understand how you may feel about this, but unless you have decided to have a campaign of hate against myself, Interference.com, or other members of 'Team Interference' and exhibit it by viciously slandering the individual/site, you won't have anything to worry about.

People like this sometimes have made me not even want to run the site anymore. Why should I tolerate someone that has such a campaign against myself and my site, being a hypocrite and using it? This person blantantly thought it was funny to cause trouble, so much that he bragged about it in his profile with comments like 'is chatspionage a word?'.

If anyone here has such hate for me, I can suggest three things:
1) email me - lets resolve this - I am not the big bad wolf
2) get over it
3) leave

Personally, I'd prefer choice #1, discussing and resolving conflict is always the best way. I'm a VERY understanding and diplomatic person. But if someone decides to skip all three of those choices, they back me into a corner and force me to react.

I run this site for a reason: I want U2 fans to have fun and interact with each other, not to mention... I've provided services to the online U2 community for almost 6 years now - I'd like to continue enjoying it.

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/
elvis@interference.com

Originally posted by Elvis:
I understand how you may feel about this, but unless you have decided to have a campaign of hate against myself, Interference.com, or other members of 'Team Interference' and exhibit it by viciously slandering the individual/site, you won't have anything to worry about.

that is not true. i got banned twice over nothing. the first time was over a joke (in which i distributed one password for everybody to share) which i to some level could understand. apparantly that is a big no, no. i didn't know at that time, but all right (a warning should have been enough). but the second time was ridiculous. i posted four messages in about 12 minutes time that were slightly u2-related. but u2 wasn't the main subject. result: immediate ban. no reply or thread closing. nothing. ban.

If anyone here has such hate for me, I can suggest three things:
1) email me - lets resolve this - I am not the big bad wolf

well elvis, i really don't hate you i think you're doing a great job. but what you're saying here is also not my experience. when i got banned the first time i did send you a polite e-mail on which you did respond. you even said that you were thinking on posting some of my letter for everybody to read and asked me if that was all right. i immediately responded that it was all right. you had e-mailed me that you'd re-install my usernames and that i could post again. but after that i heard nothing more from you. for about three months i send you every two weeks an e-mail asking for your reaction and asking for you to lift my ban. because you promised you'd do that. but no reaction at all. never. months i could not post. that is until i got a new ip address. i really never understood why you ditched me like that.

I run this site for a reason: I want U2 fans to have fun and interact with each other, not to mention... I've provided services to the online U2 community for almost 6 years now - I'd like to continue enjoying it.

and i'm very grateful for that. this place rocks!!!

------------------
~stadtmueller

Originally posted by Flaming Friar Sr:
and i'm very grateful for that. this place rocks!!!

I was addressing the threat of being banned for the reasons of slander, none else.

There are other ways to have an account terminated, and/or to be banned.

I also am not the sole person that has ever been responsible for initial bans on this forum. Something to keep in mind also is that sometimes a ban is issued temporarily, to calm a person or situation down, and to simply bring a quick end to an unwelcomed situation.

I will admit that in the past, there had been a few situations in which I just walked away from them without another thought - I'm not a fan of stress.

Here is a taste of my philosophy...
Human beings are gifted with consciousness and reason, and as in most modern societies are expected to use those gifts. They are also held accountable for their actions, and often reactions. Occasionally someone makes a choice that they don't properly analyze, sometimes that choice is the wrong choice. Whether that person knew prior that their choice was 'wrong' or not, they are still held accountable for their actions. The Internet, I feel, is no different. Interference.com and Feedback are no different in that respect either. Upon registering to this forum, and becoming a member of this community, each person is assumed to be a conscious and reasonable person, and likewise each person has the undesired opportunity to prove otherwise. Myself, admins, and mods are not here to teach right from wrong, only to keep the forum thriving in the best interest of the community as a whole, and the site. At times we may error, like anyone else, and for this I apologize, as I'd expect any reasonable person to do.

------------------
-Elvis
elvis@interference.com

I think you should at the very least respond to the emails of the for some reason unnamed user in question. As well as adressing the issue of the potentially confused people attending the same school who might want to access interference. That seems a bit much.

I think you should at the very least respond to the emails of the for some reason unnamed user in question. As well as adressing the issue of the potentially confused people attending the same school who might want to access interference. That seems a bit much.

2 emails.
one: containing one word.
two: a question of allowing him access.

I see no conciousness or reason in either, no apology, and no responsibility. At this point, I don't expect it, nor do I desire it. Only thing I see is asking someone he hates for access to something he loves.
Life sucks. He made his own choices (see my previous reply on my philosophy).

Please please please let it be Mr. MacPhisto!!!!!!!
wink.gif

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Well in case anyone wondered, the ban was on me. Elvis and i have reached a resolution and im thankful to him for being reasonable in helping to end the standoff we were having. On my part, ive promised to end my 'smear campaign' against Elvis, and to deal with him over any complaints i may have in future. Bottom line is i do appreciate the Feedback community and have done for a long time.

Now let's hope life (and cricket threads!) can resume as per normal.
smile.gif

Originally posted by brettig:
Well in case anyone wondered, the ban was on me. Elvis and i have reached a resolution and im thankful to him for being reasonable in helping to end the standoff we were having. On my part, ive promised to end my 'smear campaign' against Elvis, and to deal with him over any complaints i may have in future. Bottom line is i do appreciate the Feedback community and have done for a long time.

Now let's hope life (and cricket threads!) can resume as per normal.
smile.gif

Well said
biggrin.gif

------------------
-Elvis
elvis@interference.com

Aww Brettig, I sensed something was up, but i never knew or woulda guessed! Der...

Oh well, glad you're back.
smile.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Originally posted by doctorwho:
*bans Z Edge - just for fun!
biggrin.gif
Well, you are a mod now, does this mean I can no longer make fun of your age or "what type of doctor are you"?????
wink.gif

On a serious note, I'm happy to see Brettig and Elvis came to an understanding.

All is well
cool.gif

It is unfortunate that the criticism and dictates of one of the hosts of the chat room is tolerated.
Thank you interference for the freedom to express ourselves.

yoder said:
It is unfortunate that the criticism and dictates of one of the hosts of the chat room is tolerated.
Thank you interference for the freedom to express ourselves.

what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom