Quick couple of questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fluffy123

The Fly
Hi there, just looking for the help of a moderator or two here to be honest!

As you may (or may not) rememeber, I'm currently conducting a study on U2's fan community as part of my degree course and this forum plays a part in this.

I was just hoping you could answer a couple of questions for me in relation to analysing how this forum is used, why it is used and characteristics of the place? thanks :)

1. When was the interference forum created?
2. Is there a particular policy for locking topics (ie: certain criteria that have to be met before this can be done? or is it down to personal interpretation of the situation?)
3. Is there a particular policy for deleting topics (ie: certain criteria that have to be met before this can be done? or is it down to personal interpretation of the situation?)
4. Is there a particular policy for banning members (ie: certain criteria that have to be met before this can be done? or is it down to personal interpretation of the situation?)
5. Do you feel there is any divide between fans who are huge fans of the band and those who are relatively new/casual (ie: do you think it is difficult for them to maintain their interest in participating here if they're not as dedicated to the band as others)

There may be a couple of other questions, but this is the main lot for now.

Hope you can help, thanks! :)

Jason

I think #2 and #4 can be found in the FAQs here:

http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?action=faq

#1 I know Interference was created in 1994 - but not sure if that was just the info site or if the fourm was up then as well...

#3 Threads are generally not deleted - even if *you* can't see them, they have likely been moved to a resticted area of the site where only mods/admins can see them. This way, if there are ever any legal issues, or someone wonders why they were banned, etc, we have records of the innappropriate threads - just not where most people can see them. If people request that a specific post is deleted, we will usually accomodate that - it is rare that an entire thread will be truly deleted, ie gone forever.

#5 I think there is usually a bit of adjustment for any newcomers here, regardless of their level of fandom. It is very easy for new people to get sucked into the blue crack and get hooked - not even so much for the u2 info, just all the cool people that are here and the wide variety of discussions on things other than u2. It can take time to make 'friends', but the more you post your 2 cents about things (as long as you are not rude) the more people will recognize you/talk to you/joke with you etc. People that make strong/rude posts and have only been on the board for a few weeks and/or have a low # of posts overall will usually not be taken seriously (or be jumped on mercilessly).

With locking/deleting/banning, it is often not cut-and-dry. If we have posted a rule about it, such not questioning the band member's sexuality, and someone posts "So is Adam gay or what?!?!" - then it is going to be closed right away. Other situations are not so clear, and we mods have been given the freedom to use our best judgement in allowing a discussion to continue. If we are ever in doubt, we may close it, discuss with the other mods, and then keep it closed or choose to re-open it.

Banning members often comes up for a vote amongst the mods, people may get second chances, or just have their access removed from select areas of the board (such as some boys that have teased girls in PLEBA - a mostly female community - but if they behave they can post on the rest of the site). If someone is banned, and later wants to come back, that may be voted on by the mods as well. Ultimately, as this is Elvis' site, he has ultimate final say - but really does take to heart our opinions. Sicy is the only person besides Elvis who has banning power - the regular and 'super' mods do not have this power.

Back
Top Bottom