Profiles and search options for non-premium members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I´m not a premium member (has nothing to do with Interference, I´ll never pay for anything on the net).

Anyway, I´d like to be able to see other members profiles at least. I understand PMs, buddy lists and some other features are reserved for those who pay, but come on, Elvis, you could really unlock the profiles and the search options for the general public, hmmh?

Part of the spirit of the internet is to interact and exchange information. Say, I find contributions by members on FYM that I like, and would like to get in touch with them - I can´t see their email or AIM address or picture, because I can´t access their profile. That´s just pretty uncomfortable (and against the original principles of the net imho).

Please give it a thought, Elvis.
Respect.

Oh, I forgot an official invitation to reply. Please tell me your point of view, estimated reader.

I'm torn on this. I see your point. It sure is a pain not being able to search or see profiles and what have you.

But then, Elvis charges a mere $12/year for membership. Heck, some people spend that much on lunch for one day! Given that you're a long time member and have posted quite a bit, I'm sure you'd agree that the cost isn't prohibitive.

Therefore, I guess you have to decide which is more important: your principles of not paying for anything 'net related or paying the $12 to have extra privileges.

If Elvis decides to be more generous - more power to him and you! :up: But if it were me, I wouldn't change anything. Sorry. :(

doctorwho said:

But then, Elvis charges a mere $12/year for membership. Heck, some people spend that much on lunch for one day! Given that you're a long time member and have posted quite a bit, I'm sure you'd agree that the cost isn't prohibitive.

I´m not some people, Given that I was there before any premium membership THOUGHTS arised.

I agree that the cost isn´t prohibitive, but you know, I´d rather spend this money for my own project which focuses on helping people who definitely need more basic things than a server.

If Elvis decides against my suggestion, no problem. I only want him to consider. To think about it. Not to consider it for 2 seconds and say "What the heck" - no, I mean serious consideration.

If Interference is gonna be like an example of the real world - and that´s what Elvis imagines - I think its wrong to divide people into classes.

I can imagine the server costs have to be covered, that´s why I say, don´t give the non-premiums PMs etc., so there is additional service for those who pay.

But listen, I have read about the Silver and Gold Club. Now how pretentious can you get? There´s gonna be three classes? The ones who donate more than a hundred bucks, have a VIP section? Come on. That´s just Posh Spice, to divide members in three classes.

In my opinion there are two ways: either a website is easygoing and cool, and everyone who gets an official member is able to do the most important things - like to read profiles, or basically connect to others - or the website is a money generating machine. Personally, I think that´s not cool, and like I said, against the "original intent" of the Internet - information exchange and communication.

Its about principles and what "The King" allows. It won´t hurt no premium member, if all members can look at the profiles, and use the search option. Plus, premium members got lots of more options anyway. So where´s the point of locking the 2 options I´m talking of? There is no point. No one is going to get a premium member if he doesn´t basically want to.

It´s just less community spirit. In my eyes, Interference is about the community. Not about classes.

Unfortunately we've been through all of this before. Enough money is not generated via advertising and affiliate links, or donations alone to keep this place growing and expanding. By making search and profiles availble for free you take away a huge chunk of encouragement for people to even become Premium.

And to Tomer who thinks enough money is MADE on this site... you are so wrong.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

It´s just less community spirit. In my eyes, Interference is about the community. Not about classes.

Quiet you lower-class non-premium knave!

*snicker* :wink:

I'm just teasing you. :)

I hear ya, I really do. And I was also here before the paying option.

However, the current non-paying option still allows people to post all they want. The non-paying option allows you to read all you want. And that ain't bad!

I think adding searching for non-paying members is great. But then the argument is, if that is given, then why not PM's? If PM's are given then why not other privileges? At what point can one distinguish between the two? Clearly Elvis felt there was a need to raise $$, otherwise he wouldn't have a pay feature.

As I've known Joel for a long time, and I know he has put in a lot of his own $$ to this site. As such, a $12 a year membership isn't that much to donate. Think of it as taking Joel out to lunch thanking him for creating Intereference. ;)

When I was on WIRE, we often had money drives to raise funds for a new server. I recall two such drives, and we also had several charity fund-raising drives. So Joel having drives or charging is not unique - we've been doing this for years in the U2 community. The best part is that if you don't want to support it or think Joel "has enough $$", not only do you not have to donate, but you can continue posting and reading Interference! Sounds fair to me!

You argue that paying creates "classes" and that's not the real world. But it is! Many places have special privileges for those who donate more. For example, those who donate to PBS or various charities, often get more for their donations (like a "gold member" status or more people invited to a dinner, etc.). And sad as it may be, many countries have a class or caste system in place.

That said, I really don't think the goal is for Joel to create classes. I never felt "better" or "upper class" because I'm a "premium member". I just wanted some extra features and wanted to help share the burden of expenses. I made this decision and accounted for it accordingly. I don't feel "special" because of this and I highly doubt anyone else does either.

I recognize your comment about making Interference more of a community. And indeed having a search feature available for all members would help that to some degree. But I counter that there are far too many new people, those who join and don't post or only have a token post or two, to make this type of openness realistic. That is, do you really want people who join today and are gone tomorrow being able to do searches and contacting everyone? I think by having people pay for that feature, it prevents the "wrong" people from abusing Interference.

Lastly, you said you'd rather see your $12 go to help people who need more basic things. That's a good reason. But then, it seems you've made your decision. This is your sacrifice - and sacrifice comes at a cost. Your cost might be the fact that you don't get all the features on this site that you'd like.

Again, I hope Elvis grants you your wish. But from my perspective, when I hear people discussing how they are going to attend every show they can, and buy every CD single they can, and get all the boots they can, it seems odd that they don't also have that extra $12 for a year's worth of membership on a U2 site. I don't direct this comment at you necessarily, but it is a thought...

Last edited:
Elvis said:
Unfortunately we've been through all of this before. Enough money is not generated via advertising and affiliate links, or donations alone to keep this place growing and expanding. By making search and profiles availble for free you take away a huge chunk of encouragement for people to even become Premium.

And to Tomer who thinks enough money is MADE on this site... you are so wrong.

Thanks a lot for your consideration. If you are the opinion that search and profiles keeps people from getting premium members, ok. I just wanted you to consider it :)

It´s a brilliant site, you know. Fair enough.

Respect.

doctorwho said:

I recognize your comment about making Interference more of a community. And indeed having a search feature available for all members would help that to some degree. But I counter that there are far too many new people, those who join and don't post or only have a token post or two, to make this type of openness realistic. That is, do you really want people who join today and are gone tomorrow being able to do searches and contacting everyone? I think by having people pay for that feature, it prevents the "wrong" people from abusing Interference.

Lastly, you said you'd rather see your $12 go to help people who need more basic things. That's a good reason. But then, it seems you've made your decision. This is your sacrifice - and sacrifice comes at a cost. Your cost might be the fact that you don't get all the features on this site that you'd like.

That´s good arguments.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Thanks a lot for your consideration. If you are the opinion that search and profiles keeps people from getting premium members, ok. I just wanted you to consider it :)

It´s a brilliant site, you know. Fair enough.

Respect.

I must say the main reasons I got premium membership was for the access to member profiles and the ability to PM. The search feature doesn't really do diddly for me though.

Whoop, there is all that action in that weird thread (yeah the one that seems like an NSA investigation or something) just around the corner :eyebrow:

I read it all, but I won´t get involved - just on a side note bc I don´t write PMs, but had the honor to get quoted (even with a link to this thread): I had the impression the owner of this site was rather openly considering this "fiscal policies" - what a word, "feature access policies" is much nicer - then having to defend them.

Blessings and One Love - Staring At The Sun
sunslay.gif

Back
Top Bottom