Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #76
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 04:31 PM
oooh, glitter titles would be bitchin'
and then you could add all sorts of quizzes and applications and see who has a crush on you and stuff. That would be so like hot

Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
So you are suggesting we keep evolving our site around 2% of our viewers who still use dial up?
I never suggested nor hinted at that. That would be incredibly stupid.

THIS:
Quote:
We should be able to turn off these things also, just like these other options:
Is all I was suggesting. Options to turn stuff like that off if you lot choose to add things that would hamper those users with slower internet and the like. I never meant not to add anything just because there's people who still have dial up.

Options, options, options. That's all I was stressing over.
Even when I had high speed internet, I preferred not to mess with features like this that I'd seen on other websites I visited. They just didn't interest me. Some people prefer simplicity and it's nice to able to just tick a box to turn such things off.

At any rate, glad to hear there would be options for potential stuff like this. I was only expressing my concern and giving my input.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnaminson View Post
and then you could add all sorts of quizzes and applications and see who has a crush on you and stuff. That would be so like hot

I NEED TO KNOW who has a crush on me...
you just don't understand...

No one understands...

Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #79
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnaminson View Post

God no. If this ever happens, PLEASE give us the option to turn this shit off.

This is the main reason I hate myspace and all that bullshit. I DO NOT WANT to hear lame songs when I check someone's page, I do not care for all the shitty shiny bullshit that makes a page load in a year! These things have no real use anyway, so why bother. Get a myspace or facebook page if you want this trash, this is a forum, not a fun fair.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #80
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
:
This is the main reason I hate myspace and all that bullshit. I DO NOT WANT to hear lame songs when I check someone's page, I do not care for all the shitty shiny bullshit that makes a page load in a year! These things have no real use anyway, so why bother. Get a myspace or facebook page if you want this trash, this is a forum, not a fun fair.

I agree.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #81
Blue Crack Distributor

I just want Last.fm back in my sig this was the very first thing that upset me when the forum changed. Is there anyway this can ever come back?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quote:
So you are suggesting we keep evolving our site around 2% of our viewers who still use dial up?
Yeah, but what about those of us that have the bandwidth, but simply hate shit like that?

There's a reason I don't use MySpace, and the reason is that all the pages are completely overloaded with music and images and sparkly gifs. It was bad enough when people started treating the profile comments section like MySpace with inane pointless greeting images.

If you're going to add more things to gunk up the site, give us an option to turn those things off. I shouldn't have to turn off settings in my browsers (and thus for everywhere I surf) just because people want Interference to turn into MySpace.

So yes, definitely make sure there's an option to turn off anything bandwidth-sucking like music and the like.

But based on how people are responding so far, it sounds like this is not something the majority will want anywhere. A poll to get the opinions of the population would probably be a good idea before any such new features are added.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:51 AM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 02:31 AM
gnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
God no. If this ever happens, PLEASE give us the option to turn this shit off.

Like I said, I like fun cool new stuff as much as the next person, but I also appreciate and like the simplicity. Many people here already have myspace pages and the like, there is something to be said for not having everything you want in one place.
Sure, I like whip cream and sprinkles, and hot fudge, and chocolate chips, and ice cream etc etc etc......i love these things, but if I eat all that in a sundae for two long, well, my tummy dont appreciate it no more.

Not that I'm not open to the ideas. Theres no harm in discussin possibilities.

Also, this makes me wonder, adding all these new cool things - it all has a cost does it not? Either in techs to put them together, or extra server space to handle the burden....I'm no business guru, and I get investing in the future, but if we're having problems making ends meet as is, why keep spending more if people are happy with what they have?

Also, my apologies for typos or a lack of coherence, I've only had 1 or 2 hours sleep, but felt this burning desire to respond before bed. What can I say, its how I roll.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Bri, you rock.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #85
Fan & Taper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
One thing as a "regular" member, are we not allowed to look at attachments? I could understand the reasoning, but seems like that wasn't mentioned on the differences page. (Not uploading, but downloading/looking)
Any answer to this?

I can't look at any attachment on the board...So the examples Andy gave on the first page, can't "sell" me on springing for the upgrade.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #86
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I just want Last.fm back in my sig this was the very first thing that upset me when the forum changed. Is there anyway this can ever come back?
I remember your posts about this and will try to find a solution.

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #87
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i'm not 100% on this, but i think anyone can post an attachment, but only premiums can see them.

oh, and if the last.fm ability comes back, i'm screwed. i'll have to get rid of my quotes
Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I remember your posts about this and will try to find a solution.
Is the new sig system really necessary? We got along for years just fine with the old system. The only problem I could see with reinstating the old system, would be that it would be harder to enforce the sig limitations between Premium Gold and Premium Silver.

As for sig size period, that could just be done on the honour system, with members and mods looking out for oversized sigs. Members could report oversized sigs they see to mods, who would then remove them with a tag stating why. We did it that way on a forum I used to work for, and over there, everyone had sigs. It was never much of a problem.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #89
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I actually like not having to monitor signatures anymore. It was really a pain to have to pay attention to everyone's sigs on top of everything else we have to pay attention to. Not to mention we'd always get pm's like 'How come so and so gets to have this huge sig and you told me I had to change mine'. I think the new way is best, plus then the members dont have to worry about having to resize it to fit a certain dimension. The system does it for you. I'm sure Andy can eventually figure out a way to make the last fm stuff work.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #90
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I just want to post a reminder with the instructions for those of you that wish to pay for another member's premium. This is in the Premium Membership FAQs.

Quote:
Can I pay for premium membership for another member?
If you'd like to purchase premium membership for another member, please to not use the payment link as this will just upgrade your own account for another year. You must send a payment manually via your paypal account to paypal[at]socialknowledge.net and include the username of the member you wish to pay for. Then pm Sicy or Andy with the paypal transaction ID number/details and member name so that we can properly update the subscriptions.