Premium Membership changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
got_edge said:
lol, sorry :wink:

So whaddaya say, Joel?

I think it's important to maintain a level of appropriateness within signatures. I'm fairly sure that yours, as it was, was a bit over the top. Tame it down a lil.

Elvis said:
I think it's important to maintain a level of appropriateness within signatures. I'm fairly sure that yours, as it was, was a bit over the top. Tame it down a lil.

ahhh, I see now. I thought it would be OK since I saw it in several thread titles but I'll fill the space in with something else when I get the chance :)

got_edge said:
ahhh, I see now. I thought it would be OK since I saw it in several thread titles but I'll fill the space in with something else when I get the chance :)

Those thread titles are not allowed anymore.

I have a question. My membership was just renewed back in May as it was automatically set up that way in Paypal. But I got an email last month saying that I successfully cancelled my subscription, when I did nothing of the sort.

Am I still considered to have an active subscription? Come next May, will I just get charged $12 again?

phanan said:
I have a question. My membership was just renewed back in May as it was automatically set up that way in Paypal. But I got an email last month saying that I successfully cancelled my subscription, when I did nothing of the sort.

Am I still considered to have an active subscription? Come next May, will I just get charged $12 again?

Your subscription (not membership) was canceled via paypal most likely because your credit card expired and wasn't updated. PayPal sends email reminders to update this information usually a month or more before the expiry.

Because you're subscription was canceled it is no longer active and you will not be charged automatically. You'll need to start a new 'subscription' at the current price when it comes time for your Premium Membership to expire.

phanan said:
Yeah, that was the reason. I'll have to update it.

You won't just bill me automatically like before? All the information stayed the same.

The only way we can bill you automatically is if you have an active subscription via PayPal. PayPal is the only method in which we accept credit card and bank drafts (electronic checks).

Looks like my paypal subscription was cancelled too when my cc expired even though all the info is the same with the replacement card :( All I received from Paypal was a notice concerning the credit card removal the same day as subscription cancellation. I didn't worry about it at the time as I still had months left on my subscription and thought I would just be asked to update the cc info when my membership fee was due again.

Last edited:
Aha!!!

This is what must've happened to me. Even though I paid for a full year's subscription to blue craic back in Nov 06, because my credit card expired it automatically cancelled my paid subscription... Nice. I'm not real happy right now :madwife:. Doesn't help that you can never tell when the real Paypal is trying to contact you or if it's a phisher.

:mad:

drumkeeran said:
OK ... I just checked my paypal account. My credit card info is already updated with new expiration. So it looks like it was Interference error. I'd like the rest of my subscription back please.

You're credit card is updated... but is your subscription still active? I asked you to check this via email we had. I never heard back. Please get back to me via email... thanks.

drumkeeran said:
OK ... I just checked my paypal account. My credit card info is already updated with new expiration. So it looks like it was Interference error. I'd like the rest of my subscription back please.

Sorry about this, was an error on my part... typo in my database.

I've re-instated your Premium and given you an extra month.

Joel

I'll be honest...every other site I'm a paid member of sends out a courtesy email letting me know my membership is up for expiration...unless I missed it, I didn't get one in this case.

Which, especially given the fact that the terms of the membership were changing to the tune of a price increase of that magnitude, upon recieving such an email I would have had the opportunity to exercise the cheaper renewal option, so it seems a bit unfair. Instead, I only found out because the other day I decided to try to enter my PM inbox and couldn't.

Of course, upon visiting some of the threads afterwards I did see the sticky notes with the info, but that shouldn't be relied upon as the change must've happened during one of the few weeks I don't come into Interference. Therefore an email would have alerted me...and I think this wouldn't be a problem, we have to provide a valid email to sign up originally anyways, right?

(sorry if this has already been covered, but (ironically?) I can't use the Search function presently to find out. ;) )

ETA: just something I read earlier from you Joel:

The only reason people with current ACTIVE subscriptions will remain at $12/yr or $2/mo is because those are the terms they subscribed under. Once their subscriptions are cancelled or expire they will need to renew at the new rates also, if they want.

So it does seem that some thought and consideration was given to the terms that people originally subscribed under...hence my logic that if those terms were about to change so drastically (and 50% is fairly drastic), an email (not PM necessarily) would have been the fair way to alert people. I'm sure most are like me and don't keep track of when their various subscriptions are expiring, nor would they have deliberately 'allowed' their membership to exprire with the motive of remaining a Premium member without paying...so why should they get hit with the increase? Just sayin ;)

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:
I'll be honest...every other site I'm a paid member of sends out a courtesy email letting me know my membership is up for expiration...unless I missed it, I didn't get one in this case.

An email was sent out to ALL Premium Members alerting them of the changes, as well... a similar, but different, email was sent out to all non-Premium Members alerting them of the changes as well. Members that have selected NOT to receive emails from the site in their profile were not included.

Perhaps it went to your Spam/Junk folder, or you selected not to get emails from Interference?

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom