Premium features to Un-Premium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which 1 feature do you think should be made un-Premium?

• Can use Search

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • Can post Polls

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Can use Private Messaging

Votes: 29 25.2%
  • Can view Who's Online

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Can view Member Profiles

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • None.

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'm considering un-Premium'ing either 1 or more current Premium Member features.

This poll is just to give me an idea... it's not a 'vote' to actually decide the outcome.

Please choose 1 feature which you think should be made un-Premium.

If you care to also reply and explain why you chose what you did, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

I was trying to think of it this way... if I discontinue my premium membership, what one feature would I like to retain. Probably 'viewing member profiles'. You get to know if it's a guy or a girl and more about them!

i personally wouldn't care too much about search - i'd like private messaging or viewing profiles

if i search site:foum.interference.com on google it's almost as good (though not the real thing)

Search...with private messaging a close second.

I like being able to view profiles, but lots of people don't really fill theirs out much.

Sicy said:
I chose private messaging. For administrative reasons :wink:

:yes:

I'd like to be able to PM people.

Even with mods better than email cause I don't check mine much.

To be fair though...the search function is such a huge plus of becoming premium. I think that some people who already paid for a premium membership may feel a bit screwed if that feature becomes available at no cost. If you are gonna make a feature or two available...I think that maybe it should actually be something as simple as viewing who is online or creating polls.

Bonochick said:
To be fair though...the search function is such a huge plus of becoming premium. I think that some people who already paid for a premium membership may feel a bit screwed if that feature becomes available at no cost. If you are gonna make a feature or two available...I think that maybe it should actually be something as simple as viewing who is online or creating polls.

Can't I see who is online at the bottom of the homepage or is there something extra to that with Premium?

phillyfan26 said:

Can't I see who is online at the bottom of the homepage or is there something extra to that with Premium?

With the "Who's Online" feature, you can see which forum or thread a person is viewing...or if they are reading a PM or something.

yet most people are hiding anyway, so its not like its a super great feature or anything

Bonochick said:

With the "Who's Online" feature, you can see which forum or thread a person is viewing...or if they are reading a PM or something.

I can see the forums, though not the threads.

I'd rather have PMing and profile viewing.

Keep search premium to make it fair.

Chizip said:
yet most people are hiding anyway, so its not like its a super great feature or anything

I agree...which would make that one an easy one to make non-premium.

Like I said, my first inclination was the search...but I don't think that's fair to all of the people who already paid for their premium memberships.

I :heart: duplicate threads. :drool:

Give me PMs!

LOL, just kidding, the more stuff the better. Thanks for thinking of us Elvis.

I would like to be able to go into Mr.Pussy's Cafe De Luxe but since it isn't on there I would do polls.

The ability to search is a necessary feature for any forum. I still find it a bit strange that the search feature is only available to premium members. Just think about how many of those Head Shoulders Knees And Toes threads we could have avoided if regular posters had the option of searching.

GibsonGirl said:
The ability to search is a necessary feature for any forum. I still find it a bit strange that the search feature is only available to premium members. Just think about how many of those Head Shoulders Knees And Toes threads we could have avoided if regular posters had the option of searching.

or the bush singing SBS threads :no:

I chose PM's, because I would like to PM some non-premium members sometimes.

Although I use Search (mostly the View New Threads function) and like it, I suspect that most people who start new threads without scanning even a couple pages back aren't likely to use search anyway.

indra said:
I chose PM's, because I would like to PM some non-premium members sometimes.

Although I use Search (mostly the View New Threads function) and like it, I suspect that most people who start new threads without scanning even a couple pages back aren't likely to use search anyway.

I agree I don't think I ever would. (feels bad now)

I'd love PMing.

I'm thinking of going premium because I really want to be able to search, and if you had that as a non premium benefit I don't think I'd bother paying the extra. So if you made that un-premium, i don't think as many people would bother going premium.
I say PM's!

partygirlvox said:
I'm thinking of going premium because I really want to be able to search, and if you had that as a non premium benefit I don't think I'd bother paying the extra. So if you made that un-premium, i don't think as many people would bother going premium.
I say PM's!

I'm just waiting for the right time to go premium:hmm:

I think it would make the most sense to make member profiles an un-premium feature.
1. If people can't respond when they are PM-ed then the site has a higher chance of that person becoming a premium member. It wouldn't make sense to cut off a source of possible income.
2. I thought I read somewhere that the reason the search function was made premium was because it slowed the site. If this is true, then the site would gain nothing from making a un-premium feature.
3. Also, if the search function is available to everyone, the site would have huge threads that would be closed because someone didn't know that there existed a thread of the same topic.
4. The ability to view member profiles on a larger scale would make people fill them out. It would also allow new members to get to know other posters better and make their transition into the Interference community easier.

:reject: Feeling that I've said too much, it's time to hide. :reject:

I honestly think that all of these features should be standardized and made available to everyone. I know of no other forum where you have to pay to make polls, to search, or to PM.

That said, if making some of these features pay-only is the only way to keep the site running, then I guess I understand that.

If I have to pick one thing to make free...well, it's a tie between search and making polls.

namkcuR said:
I honestly think that all of these features should be standardized and made available to everyone. I know of no other forum where you have to pay to make polls, to search, or to PM.

Hmm I know a site or two that makes you pay just to post.

One thing to keep in mind... part of the original idea behind making certain features Premium were actually to verify members true, or likely, identities. The majority of folks use PayPal to subscribe or send a personal check. I'm not going to go into details, but in the past certain members had been harrassed either by someone PMing them, or emailing them (via their Profile), as well as doing frequent searches on all of their posts, and targetting/stalking them on the forum.

Bonochick said:

yep.

which is why i voted for creating polls (although my first thought was to vote for none).

there are people here who have been coughing it up for years.

i mean, is the cost of being a premium member going to decrease if the functions available to a non-premium member are going to increase?

I went Premium so I could view profiles and use PM. Give one of those free and I might cancel my subs.

I went for Search 'cos I use it only rarely.

Back
Top Bottom