Premium Feature: How Many People Ignore Me? *Beta*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is knowing how many people ignore you a bad thing? (ie. do you see any harm in it?)

• No

Votes: 44 75.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Because of the apparent ill feelings that were created by the resurrection of the 'Who ignores me?' feature.... I have revised the feature into something, hopefully, much less offensive/hurtful, but still of some use/interest to some people.

"How Many People Ignore Me?"

This only shows a total number of people that ignore you, but does not list any names.

For those aiming to make enemies, its a good gage... (sarcasm) and for those looking to get a perspective on how people feel about their posting behavior it could also be a good gage.

Joel

I don't see any reason for that either. Why should posting behavior be evaluated by that standard? People "clash" for various reasons and that can also exist separate and apart of someone's posting behavior. And there can be instances that might prompt using the ignore feature that aren't part of an overall pattern. For example I had a private e-mail from someone here who is of a very kind and gentle nature who had a couple of people on ignore for reasons that have nothing to do with their posting behavior-because they're private I won't disclose them here but suffice it to say there is nothing whatsoever ill intended about them. Now this person feels badly and that their privacy was completely violated with no notice-and I agree, I feel the same way. This person isn't here enough to prompt editing of their list.

If someone's behavior is an issue the mods are here to deal with that-and the ignore feature, one that is kept private, is supposed to help avoid problems. Someone ignoring you could be just an issue between you and them and your overall posting behavior could be acceptable to many others and the mods. I don't understand at all why even the number is necessary or helpful in any way. Some things are supposed be private-too late now of course. If someone has a serious posting behavior issue well I would say they have been spoken to enough in private or on here by mods to know that. Otherwise it's just a case that some types just are going to clash and like I said that should have been kept private.

And my "no" vote should have been a "yes", I thought it was merely yes or no on having this feature so I voted no.

Last edited:
Why not make this information public then? It could be written right underneath somebody's username:

Elvis
Ignored by: 55,654 members.

I think this is such a delicate topic. When you had it so that the feature listed names, I actually thought that was useful. While some people may feel hurt by seeing that somebody ignores him or her, it's also useful knowledge. For example, you know to not bother trying to address that person in the forums, since he or she won't see your posts anyway. The only thing I didn't care for was when people posted the names of people who were ignoring them. We've already touched on that though, and people were instructed to stop doing that, so moving on...

I think if you are going to show the number of people ignoring you, one of two things will happen:

1. You will see nobody is ignoring you, and you'll go on with your day.

2. You'll see that somebody is ignoring you, but you won't know who. All you will know is that for some unknown reason, some unknown person is ignoring you. I don't see how that accomplishes much. With just showing the numbers, I think it's more of a curiosity thing. It doesn't do much else.

Therefore, I think if you are going to choose to use a feature that gives people information about being on somebody's ignore list, I'd either list names or not do it at all.

HOWEVER..............

I'm a moderator. I'm not allowed to ignore members, and I can't be ignored by members. I'd prefer to get more input from people who can actually use this function.

MrsSpringsteen said:

And my "no" vote should have been a "yes", I thought it was merely yes or no on having this feature so I voted no.

I fixed it for you. :wave:

Bonochick said:

2. You'll see that somebody is ignoring you, but you won't know who. All you will know is that for some unknown reason, some unknown person is ignoring you. I don't see how that accomplishes much. With just showing the numbers, I think it's more of a curiosity thing. It doesn't do much else.

Therefore, I think if you are going to choose to use a feature that gives people information about being on somebody's ignore list, I'd either list names or not do it at all.

I agree. I wanted to know who was ignoring me. If you know specific names, then that might explain certain things in threads. If a lot of people ignore you, and you know who they are, it might give you pause and make you reconsider your posting habits and persona.

martha said:

I agree. I wanted to know who was ignoring me. If you know specific names, then that might explain certain things in threads. If a lot of people ignore you, and you know who they are, it might give you pause and make you reconsider your posting habits and persona.

I agree. This feature is useless unless you know specific names.

Bonochick said:

I fixed it for you. :wave:

Thank you

At least names not being allowed maintains some level of privacy for people (but of course that horse was let out of the barn already), but as a general thing like I said I see no need for it. And just to add that sometimes people have temporary issues with someone and put them on ignore-and might decide to remove them even the next day or the next time they visit. But all of that is moot now after what was done(making it public).

And just to add as a general statement about the whole matter, honestly I am stunned that a feature that was private and understood to be private was made public in this way without any warning or poll or input from members first. To do it after the fact is just not right as far as I'm concerned. Private messages and passwords are things that people trust are private-so would you change that and make it public without telling people? Different features yes-but all expected to be private. Changing avatars and statuses aren't private, so that's perfectly fine.

Logically speaking I would think most people would consider that there could be potential fallout from making something public that was previously private and understood and expected to be private. Sure it's your site and you can do what you want, but violating the privacy of members without warning isn't included in that as far as I'm concerned. Of course not everyone will feel that theirs was violated but I do and people I talk with privately do as well. And to make a feature public that is meant to be private in order to avoid conflicts and problems between people defies all logic to me. Like I've already posted, talk about a way in which to cause more issues. The fact that some people might not have a problem with it doesn't negate the problems for those who do.

I think this feature should be removed as well as 'who ignores me'. Things were just fine the way they were. I feel these features are just going to cause more uneccessary problems and hurt feelings.

i voted no, but i think this feature is kind of silly if it's not going to show names. if anything, it might be worse because if someone's going to click on the link, they obviously want to know for whatever reason. to just see the number of people (say, four) but not know names? it might drive a person crazy. i can see some people starting threads or pm'ing people "are you ignoring me/do you know who is ignoring me" or something.

basically, if the feature is going to be there, it should show the total as well as names.

I voted no (as in no harm done), but I have to say I do much prefer seeing who has me on ignore.

Now I'm certainly not going to start or participate in a thread telling who's on my list or email or PM people and ask why they have me on their list, but it's an interesting tidbit to know. It's worth a giggle, and for me was more interesting for who didn't have me on their list than for who did.

KhanadaRhodes said:
basically, if the feature is going to be there, it should show the total as well as names.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the point of knowing how many people are ignoring you is, without knowing who those people are.

ramblin rose said:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the point of knowing how many people are ignoring you is, without knowing who those people are.

I agree. And seriously, the internet is not a private place.

I don't quite understand how this feature can be "abused" if people are not allowed to post who ignores them. That seems like a good policy. :shrug:

WildHoneyAlways said:
I don't quite understand how this feature can be "abused" if people are not allowed to post who ignores them. That seems like a good policy. :shrug:
yeah, i mean since no one can ignore me (sorry guys :wink: ) it being there or not doesn't affect me personally. but since there is a rule in place to not have people post their lists, i think any drama should be minimal. after the feature had been around for a while, i'm sure talking would've ceased in the thread and anyone who didn't like the feature would just not use it or something.

i would suggest that there be an option in the user cp to select whether or not you'd like that list to show up, but i'm sure that would be too hard to do.

MrsSpringsteen said:

But all of that is moot now after what was done(making it public).

And just to add as a general statement about the whole matter, honestly I am stunned that a feature that was private and understood to be private was made public in this way without any warning or poll or input from members first. To do it after the fact is just not right as far as I'm concerned. Private messages and passwords are things that people trust are private-so would you change that and make it public without telling people? Different features yes-but all expected to be private. Changing avatars and statuses aren't private, so that's perfectly fine.

:applaud: :up:

This is the problem I have with it, too. I couldn't believe a feature that people thought was private, and was used assuming it was and would always be private, was made public without at least giving people fair warning so they could delete their lists if they didn't want to be 'outed.'

As it was done, it seems like something so ripe and ready to cause trouble, and hurt feelings. And no, telling people to grow a thick skin doesn't take that away. People ignored in private, it should have stayed that way. I'm so sorry for everyone ignoring and ignored who had to find out this way. I did experience this on another board and it was a controversial mess.

Butterscotch said:
I couldn't believe a feature that people thought was private, and was used assuming it was and would always be private, was made public without at least giving people fair warning so they could delete their lists if they didn't want to be 'outed.'

That's typical Elvis fashion.

In a way it almost seemed like 'he he let's do this and see all the fun, let's watch them squirm' or something. Not saying it was intentional, but perhaps thoughtless :(

Last edited:
No he didnt do it intentionally, but he often does things without thinking of the ramifications. I tell him this allll the time.

Butterscotch said:
In a way it almost seemed like 'he he let's do this and see all the fun, let's watch them squirm' or something. Not saying it was intentional, but perhaps thoughtless :(

Well, it surely wasn't intentional. We did have this feature previously and I had deactivated it.... for similar reasons as now. I did however think that people would be able to 'deal with it' in a more respectful, not so personal way. I was obviously wrong, and for that.. perhaps I made the wrong assumption.

My intention was to make the information available in an effort to maybe keep people more on-track with their personalities... in a way that ebay's feedback system tries to keep people honest. Again, my approach was obviously not the right one.

I've got other ideas in mind to accomplish this... but it wont involve showing who has who on the list.

My apologies to those who feel violated over this.

Joel

Butterscotch said:
This is the problem I have with it, too. I couldn't believe a feature that people thought was private, and was used assuming it was and would always be private, was made public without at least giving people fair warning so they could delete their lists if they didn't want to be 'outed.'

. . .and seriously, the internet is not a private place.

Really guys, if this feature made you feel violated, I suggest you stay far away from certain parts of this board. :wink:

RedrocksU2 said:

This feature for us= :corn:, and drama.
This feature for mods= :huh: :scream:

Well you can count me out of "us" , I have no interest in that sort of "popcorn drama"-personally I'm not here for any of that. Some people are. If this feature was actually thought to curb the behavior of certain individuals, well frankly I think some of those people might be proud to be on some/numerous ignore lists. I don't think people whose behavior is extreme would care at all, this feature would have no effect. It's just not a good idea period, for the reasons I've already mentioned and others. Frankly I think it's high school too.

And the internet isn't private-well when you tell people that certain things are private and you make it public without their prior knowledge or permission-well that's a violation of privacy. Whether the internet is private or not, that's no excuse or justification. Who here would like their password or PM's made public and viewable to everyone in the same way? Who volunteers? The user CP and all related features is not a forum.

Elvis said:

Well, it surely wasn't intentional. We did have this feature previously and I had deactivated it.... for similar reasons as now. I did however think that people would be able to 'deal with it' in a more respectful, not so personal way. I was obviously wrong, and for that.. perhaps I made the wrong assumption.

Well I will be perfectly honest with my feelings and say that you just aren't around here enough to have the knowledge that it would not work that way and that it should be kept private. My thought is that it should have been an instinct that it wouldn't work that way. I have been here long enough to observe how some things work and numerous behaviors and I will just leave it at that. The whole reasoning behind the feature is that it was private, that was the whole reason it ever worked in the first place.

It IS personal and that's the whole point really. The behavior thing just doesn't make sense to me- like I said some types of people just clash and that has no effect on, and nothing to do with, most peoples' behavior. Dealing with individuals' behaviors, if they can't do it themselves, is best left to the mods. Ignore lists should have nothing to do with that, unless you're going to have members start modding too.

MrsSpringsteen said:

It was. So what I was asking was- who would like to log in one day and see that passwords and pm's had been made public as a new feature?

It's hardly the same thing. The ignore lists were not made public. Poster could could view who had them on an ignore list. They could not view each member's list. I fail to see how passwords are similar to the ignore/buddy lists. Should we get rid of the buddy list too? After all, that is part of the user cp. Or is the buddy list okay b/c it doesn't hurt people's feelings?

MrsSpringsteen said:

Only because certain people decided to post their lists. I didn't have access to your ignore list. They weren't public at all. I could still post my passwords and PMs. I'd get reprimanded because I'm not supposed to do that, just like those who posted their ignore lists did.

MrsSpringsteen said:

It was. So what I was asking was- who would like to log in one day and see that passwords and pm's had been made public as a new feature?

Since I do not own this board, I'd have to accept it or discontinue my membership here.

Back
Top Bottom