Premium Feature: How Many People Ignore Me? *Beta* - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Is knowing how many people ignore you a bad thing? (ie. do you see any harm in it?)
No 43 74.14%
Yes 15 25.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Premium Feature: How Many People Ignore Me? *Beta*

Because of the apparent ill feelings that were created by the resurrection of the 'Who ignores me?' feature.... I have revised the feature into something, hopefully, much less offensive/hurtful, but still of some use/interest to some people.

"How Many People Ignore Me?"

This only shows a total number of people that ignore you, but does not list any names.

For those aiming to make enemies, its a good gage... (sarcasm) and for those looking to get a perspective on how people feel about their posting behavior it could also be a good gage.

Joel

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:58 PM
I don't see any reason for that either. Why should posting behavior be evaluated by that standard? People "clash" for various reasons and that can also exist separate and apart of someone's posting behavior. And there can be instances that might prompt using the ignore feature that aren't part of an overall pattern. For example I had a private e-mail from someone here who is of a very kind and gentle nature who had a couple of people on ignore for reasons that have nothing to do with their posting behavior-because they're private I won't disclose them here but suffice it to say there is nothing whatsoever ill intended about them. Now this person feels badly and that their privacy was completely violated with no notice-and I agree, I feel the same way. This person isn't here enough to prompt editing of their list.

If someone's behavior is an issue the mods are here to deal with that-and the ignore feature, one that is kept private, is supposed to help avoid problems. Someone ignoring you could be just an issue between you and them and your overall posting behavior could be acceptable to many others and the mods. I don't understand at all why even the number is necessary or helpful in any way. Some things are supposed be private-too late now of course. If someone has a serious posting behavior issue well I would say they have been spoken to enough in private or on here by mods to know that. Otherwise it's just a case that some types just are going to clash and like I said that should have been kept private.

And my "no" vote should have been a "yes", I thought it was merely yes or no on having this feature so I voted no.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Why not make this information public then? It could be written right underneath somebody's username:

Elvis
Ignored by: 55,654 members.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:58 PM

I think this is such a delicate topic. When you had it so that the feature listed names, I actually thought that was useful. While some people may feel hurt by seeing that somebody ignores him or her, it's also useful knowledge. For example, you know to not bother trying to address that person in the forums, since he or she won't see your posts anyway. The only thing I didn't care for was when people posted the names of people who were ignoring them. We've already touched on that though, and people were instructed to stop doing that, so moving on...

I think if you are going to show the number of people ignoring you, one of two things will happen:

1. You will see nobody is ignoring you, and you'll go on with your day.

2. You'll see that somebody is ignoring you, but you won't know who. All you will know is that for some unknown reason, some unknown person is ignoring you. I don't see how that accomplishes much. With just showing the numbers, I think it's more of a curiosity thing. It doesn't do much else.

Therefore, I think if you are going to choose to use a feature that gives people information about being on somebody's ignore list, I'd either list names or not do it at all.

HOWEVER..............

I'm a moderator. I'm not allowed to ignore members, and I can't be ignored by members. I'd prefer to get more input from people who can actually use this function.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

And my "no" vote should have been a "yes", I thought it was merely yes or no on having this feature so I voted no.
I fixed it for you.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

2. You'll see that somebody is ignoring you, but you won't know who. All you will know is that for some unknown reason, some unknown person is ignoring you. I don't see how that accomplishes much. With just showing the numbers, I think it's more of a curiosity thing. It doesn't do much else.

Therefore, I think if you are going to choose to use a feature that gives people information about being on somebody's ignore list, I'd either list names or not do it at all.
I agree. I wanted to know who was ignoring me. If you know specific names, then that might explain certain things in threads. If a lot of people ignore you, and you know who they are, it might give you pause and make you reconsider your posting habits and persona.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I agree. I wanted to know who was ignoring me. If you know specific names, then that might explain certain things in threads. If a lot of people ignore you, and you know who they are, it might give you pause and make you reconsider your posting habits and persona.
I agree. This feature is useless unless you know specific names.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

I fixed it for you.
Thank you

At least names not being allowed maintains some level of privacy for people (but of course that horse was let out of the barn already), but as a general thing like I said I see no need for it. And just to add that sometimes people have temporary issues with someone and put them on ignore-and might decide to remove them even the next day or the next time they visit. But all of that is moot now after what was done(making it public).

And just to add as a general statement about the whole matter, honestly I am stunned that a feature that was private and understood to be private was made public in this way without any warning or poll or input from members first. To do it after the fact is just not right as far as I'm concerned. Private messages and passwords are things that people trust are private-so would you change that and make it public without telling people? Different features yes-but all expected to be private. Changing avatars and statuses aren't private, so that's perfectly fine.

Logically speaking I would think most people would consider that there could be potential fallout from making something public that was previously private and understood and expected to be private. Sure it's your site and you can do what you want, but violating the privacy of members without warning isn't included in that as far as I'm concerned. Of course not everyone will feel that theirs was violated but I do and people I talk with privately do as well. And to make a feature public that is meant to be private in order to avoid conflicts and problems between people defies all logic to me. Like I've already posted, talk about a way in which to cause more issues. The fact that some people might not have a problem with it doesn't negate the problems for those who do.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I think this feature should be removed as well as 'who ignores me'. Things were just fine the way they were. I feel these features are just going to cause more uneccessary problems and hurt feelings.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i voted no, but i think this feature is kind of silly if it's not going to show names. if anything, it might be worse because if someone's going to click on the link, they obviously want to know for whatever reason. to just see the number of people (say, four) but not know names? it might drive a person crazy. i can see some people starting threads or pm'ing people "are you ignoring me/do you know who is ignoring me" or something.

basically, if the feature is going to be there, it should show the total as well as names.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

basically, if the feature is going to be there, it should show the total as well as names.
Agreed.

This feature for us= , and drama.
This feature for mods=
Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I voted no (as in no harm done), but I have to say I do much prefer seeing who has me on ignore.

Now I'm certainly not going to start or participate in a thread telling who's on my list or email or PM people and ask why they have me on their list, but it's an interesting tidbit to know. It's worth a giggle, and for me was more interesting for who didn't have me on their list than for who did.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
Yeah, I'm not really sure what the point of knowing how many people are ignoring you is, without knowing who those people are.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

I want names
Old 07-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by ramblin rose

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the point of knowing how many people are ignoring you is, without knowing who those people are.
I agree. And seriously, the internet is not a private place.

I don't quite understand how this feature can be "abused" if people are not allowed to post who ignores them. That seems like a good policy.