Premium Feature: How Many People Ignore Me? *Beta* - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Is knowing how many people ignore you a bad thing? (ie. do you see any harm in it?)
No 43 74.14%
Yes 15 25.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #16
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
I don't quite understand how this feature can be "abused" if people are not allowed to post who ignores them. That seems like a good policy.
yeah, i mean since no one can ignore me (sorry guys ) it being there or not doesn't affect me personally. but since there is a rule in place to not have people post their lists, i think any drama should be minimal. after the feature had been around for a while, i'm sure talking would've ceased in the thread and anyone who didn't like the feature would just not use it or something.

i would suggest that there be an option in the user cp to select whether or not you'd like that list to show up, but i'm sure that would be too hard to do.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

But all of that is moot now after what was done(making it public).

And just to add as a general statement about the whole matter, honestly I am stunned that a feature that was private and understood to be private was made public in this way without any warning or poll or input from members first. To do it after the fact is just not right as far as I'm concerned. Private messages and passwords are things that people trust are private-so would you change that and make it public without telling people? Different features yes-but all expected to be private. Changing avatars and statuses aren't private, so that's perfectly fine.

This is the problem I have with it, too. I couldn't believe a feature that people thought was private, and was used assuming it was and would always be private, was made public without at least giving people fair warning so they could delete their lists if they didn't want to be 'outed.'

As it was done, it seems like something so ripe and ready to cause trouble, and hurt feelings. And no, telling people to grow a thick skin doesn't take that away. People ignored in private, it should have stayed that way. I'm so sorry for everyone ignoring and ignored who had to find out this way. I did experience this on another board and it was a controversial mess.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
I couldn't believe a feature that people thought was private, and was used assuming it was and would always be private, was made public without at least giving people fair warning so they could delete their lists if they didn't want to be 'outed.'
That's typical Elvis fashion.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #19
War Child

In a way it almost seemed like 'he he let's do this and see all the fun, let's watch them squirm' or something. Not saying it was intentional, but perhaps thoughtless
Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #20
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

No he didnt do it intentionally, but he often does things without thinking of the ramifications. I tell him this allll the time.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #21
Creator of the Blue Crack

Quote:
In a way it almost seemed like 'he he let's do this and see all the fun, let's watch them squirm' or something. Not saying it was intentional, but perhaps thoughtless

Well, it surely wasn't intentional. We did have this feature previously and I had deactivated it.... for similar reasons as now. I did however think that people would be able to 'deal with it' in a more respectful, not so personal way. I was obviously wrong, and for that.. perhaps I made the wrong assumption.

My intention was to make the information available in an effort to maybe keep people more on-track with their personalities... in a way that ebay's feedback system tries to keep people honest. Again, my approach was obviously not the right one.

I've got other ideas in mind to accomplish this... but it wont involve showing who has who on the list.

My apologies to those who feel violated over this.

Joel
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
This is the problem I have with it, too. I couldn't believe a feature that people thought was private, and was used assuming it was and would always be private, was made public without at least giving people fair warning so they could delete their lists if they didn't want to be 'outed.'

Quote:
. . .and seriously, the internet is not a private place.
Really guys, if this feature made you feel violated, I suggest you stay far away from certain parts of this board.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #23
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
No he didnt do it intentionally, but he often does things without thinking of the ramifications. I tell him this allll the time.
Typical man
Old 07-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RedrocksU2

This feature for us= , and drama.
This feature for mods=
Well you can count me out of "us" , I have no interest in that sort of "popcorn drama"-personally I'm not here for any of that. Some people are. If this feature was actually thought to curb the behavior of certain individuals, well frankly I think some of those people might be proud to be on some/numerous ignore lists. I don't think people whose behavior is extreme would care at all, this feature would have no effect. It's just not a good idea period, for the reasons I've already mentioned and others. Frankly I think it's high school too.

And the internet isn't private-well when you tell people that certain things are private and you make it public without their prior knowledge or permission-well that's a violation of privacy. Whether the internet is private or not, that's no excuse or justification. Who here would like their password or PM's made public and viewable to everyone in the same way? Who volunteers? The user CP and all related features is not a forum.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #25
She's the One

Quote:
Who here would like their password or PM's made public and viewable to everyone in the same way?
But the ignore list isn't public at all.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

Well, it surely wasn't intentional. We did have this feature previously and I had deactivated it.... for similar reasons as now. I did however think that people would be able to 'deal with it' in a more respectful, not so personal way. I was obviously wrong, and for that.. perhaps I made the wrong assumption.
Well I will be perfectly honest with my feelings and say that you just aren't around here enough to have the knowledge that it would not work that way and that it should be kept private. My thought is that it should have been an instinct that it wouldn't work that way. I have been here long enough to observe how some things work and numerous behaviors and I will just leave it at that. The whole reasoning behind the feature is that it was private, that was the whole reason it ever worked in the first place.

It IS personal and that's the whole point really. The behavior thing just doesn't make sense to me- like I said some types of people just clash and that has no effect on, and nothing to do with, most peoples' behavior. Dealing with individuals' behaviors, if they can't do it themselves, is best left to the mods. Ignore lists should have nothing to do with that, unless you're going to have members start modding too.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

But the ignore list isn't public at all.
It was. So what I was asking was- who would like to log in one day and see that passwords and pm's had been made public as a new feature?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

It was. So what I was asking was- who would like to log in one day and see that passwords and pm's had been made public as a new feature?
It's hardly the same thing. The ignore lists were not made public. Poster could could view who had them on an ignore list. They could not view each member's list. I fail to see how passwords are similar to the ignore/buddy lists. Should we get rid of the buddy list too? After all, that is part of the user cp. Or is the buddy list okay b/c it doesn't hurt people's feelings?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #29
She's the One

Quote:

It was.
Only because certain people decided to post their lists. I didn't have access to your ignore list. They weren't public at all. I could still post my passwords and PMs. I'd get reprimanded because I'm not supposed to do that, just like those who posted their ignore lists did.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Since I do not own this board, I'd have to accept it or discontinue my membership here.