Photo Gallery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Can you change it to accept GIF and PNG files? JPG files are all good and all, but sometimes I can make a better (and smaller) GIF or PNG than I would having a JPG file.

Thanks...

Melon

Melon, since no one else seems to be rushing to answer this here's my thought. I think Elvis has refrained from having the galleries accept gifs because he wants them to be used for actual photographs and not be overburdoned with smilies/emoticons/avatars. But then again I wouldn't really know either way.

LZW compression, which was the patent in question with GIF, has since passed into public domain.

http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/giflzw.php

Secondly, I use GIF and PNG (which was the open-source alternative to GIF, so no patent worries there) for other reasons, besides making smilies/emoticons/avatars. Avatars are uploaded anyway, so why would I have to put them in my gallery? I guess my point is that it doesn't make much sense to limit it solely to JPG, considering I can make better images at lower sizes, in some cases. Plus, it's a pain having to go into Photoshop and reexport the same image into JPG. Every browser supports JPG, GIF, and PNG, so I don't know why Interference.com has to limit it solely to one image format.

But that's me, I guess.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom