Past avatars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
When we change our avatars, I think it would be cool if only future posts got affected, instead of changing all posts throughout. Many times our avatars become an integral part of who we are, what we like or what we're into at a particular moment in time. And I think it would be fun to look back at posts made 1 or 2 or 3 years in the past and see what we were into at that time. Make sense?

I don't know of any forum that does what you're requesting, though. And for those with custom avatars, it would require storing all those images, rather than replacing them out when you change them, as is currently done.

But who knows. Maybe it's possible.

Melon

Your avatar is directly associated with your user profile in the database. To change this would require completely altering the database and code (of the entire site) for anywhere your avatar appears.

The same is true with signatures.

To be honest, this isnt really something I see value in... and my reason is this:

Posts/threads are of the 'time and place', whereas your avatar represents you, currently, as does your signature, your status, location, local time, post #, etc. Member information is not part of the post itself, it's 'member information'. If you want to have something permanently appear with your post, I suggest you include it in the post.

Having avatars (and sigs) be permanent with each post could also create A LOT of confusion, clutter, and possibly be abused.

melon said:
I don't know of any forum that does what you're requesting, though.

ezboard does. Post counts actually count off, too (like my 1st post still says number one, even though I'm on 200-something).

Personally, I find it annoying. I get used to knowing people by their avatars so it's confusing having so many (especially with people who change them daily).

^

I actually really like the way ezboard does post counts and avatars (well, I've never had an avatar there myself, but it's fun to see other peoples past ones). Took me a long time to get used to the post count method here, and it still bugs me sometimes. Although it's not a big issue for me at all, if I could have every little thing I ever wanted I would like to have two post counts on each entry -- one would be total posts and would update with every post and the other number would stay static (post #4 would stay post #4 forever, no matter how many more posts you made).

Not really important at all really, but in a perfect world.... :)

Back
Top Bottom