On the matter of "The Edge"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Downtheline

Babyface
Hi all
This is the simple truth:
A member of my family had some interaction with some of the folks at the interference website after they sought out and emailed us first. They became persistent. The end result was a bogus interview with who they assumed on their own was a member of U2 and some bogus postings.
There never was any permission given to print this interview. There was never any claim on this side of it to be the Edge or Bono or anyone else involved with U2 for that matter. This was mistakenly assumed by the interference representative and I have the emails to prove it.
There was never anything malicious said . The interview was pieced together from pieces of old U2 interviews found throughout the web. There are literally thousands on the net. Anything else that was posted was a pure guess. Which...some have been shown to be wrong.
I think that the folks at that website were wrong for assuming what they did and printing without permission. In journalism, you have to know and trust your source(confirmation). BUT, in all fairness...anyone who posts here should NOT blame them, for it simply was not totally their fault.
I You may have noticed that all postings have stopped and that is because I found out about this and took care of the situation.
All I can offer is a sincere apology.
With the country at War and a Presidential election around the corner,this doesnt amount to much in the real world. I just wanted to clear the air once and for all.

What? You were forced into being "The Edge" against your will? The staff at this site forced you into giving a bogus interview? And it's not the staff's fault?

More explanation, please. A timeline of events would help.

Who are you really? Why is it that we should take what you say at face value. Put your money where your mouth is, and show us some evidence please?

Last edited:
Whoever cleaned up and moved these you did a great job. Sorry for my multiple posts.

I find it very hard to believe that the site would not know the true identity, or at least IP and location of someone. I also find it impossible to believe the 'staff' (not counting mods) are innocent in this, they HAD to know something and I don't think anyone was 'fooled' :eyebrow:

I am disinclined to trust anything posted by a brand new member, especially from someone who has but one post and it's on this issue.

Admittedly, in the grand scheme of things, whether Edge posts here or not is trivial. But in terms of the world created by this website, it is a significant matter - and to automatically believe a new member who is vague and provided no information about who he/she is would be naive.

Until I hear from the "powers that be" on this website or in the U2 camp, I cannot accept the above post as it stands.

My only fear is that this new member *is* someone from the Interference staff trying to back-pedal his/her way out of what has become a very sticky situation.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

or a staff member trying to exhonerate him/herself? :eyebrow:

Yes, I was wondering the same thing (see my above post). I would hope this isn't the situation... but I've noticed the staff has been very quiet on this issue as of late, and "Edge" hasn't posted in some time. Furthermore, "Edge" used to have all sorts of information in his profile, but it is now empty. Hmmm... :eyebrow:

oh please mods
you must know this

or at least the admin should

I'm sure the fact that today is the day Elvis was returning from his vacation is just a coincidence.

doctorwho said:

Yes, I was wondering the same thing (see my above post). I would hope this isn't the situation... but I've noticed the staff has been very quiet on this issue as of late, and "Edge" hasn't posted in some time. Furthermore, "Edge" used to have all sorts of information in his profile, but it is now empty. Hmmm... :eyebrow:

Yes I saw that after I posted :yes:

Sure is funny somebody comes out of the blue and tries to squeal on it being fake then jumps right in going how we shouldn't blame the staff and how there are worse problems in the world, whatever:sigh:

I REALLY feel sorry for the mods! I know they have to see or know something, having IPs and all, (though not everything) but even though they don't approve of the shenanigans they can't tell us a thing. What a bad spot to be in:(

U2Kitten said:

I REALLY feel sorry for the mods! I know they have to see or know something, having IPs and all, (though not everything) but even though they don't approve of the shenanigans they can't tell us a thing. What a bad spot to be in:(

I feel the same way. What a fucked up position to be put in. :|

Wow, this is a complete saran wrap job. How long did it take the staff to cook up what is the *Worst Excuse Ever!* If it's not completely made up then the site is at least guilty of extreme stupidity. How can you not verify a source for someone who has a PR and a management firm? Especially when you are the recipient of donations and premium memberships? I've been watching this whole saga from the very beginning. I read that interview and laughed. As for the relative of the person purported to be The Edge. How dumb do you think people here are? Are you their Dad? Mom? Brother? What? and why would you care about what your relative does on an anonymous message board?

Watching this whole thing unravel over the next couple of days is going to be really interesting. Almost worth the 12 bucks.

::::Kicks back and opens a beer::::

Let the recriminations begin!!!

Yes, who is D. Smith? That doesn't do anything to clarify the situation. And why have this e-mail posted at @U2 but not here?

The note on @U2 tells us to write to this "family member" expressing our disappointment. What family member? The person who supposedly gave a faux interview? The person who pretended to be "Edge"? Are they one in the same? Is this person related to the real Edge? Again, who is this D. Smith? How did this person suddenly find out this great mystery and correct the situation? And why were Interference staff members bothering this person (D. Smith or the family member) so much? Who are they that Interference would care?

In other words, D. Smith's post is just as vague and suspicious as the interview and all of the Edge's posts. Something isn't right here...

Last edited:
Dsmith is the name of a staff member but I don't know if she is really the person who made that post.

Poor Edge. :hug: All this happening to his family while America is at war and having an election.

AnimeBored.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom