No Alters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Alters don't seem to do anything but stir things up--and rarely in a good way.

In the year or so that I've been on here, I've seen:

- Alters start or fuel dozens of arguments (not discussions)
- Alters trash-talk members & other fans
- Threads digress into discussions of whether or not a poster is an alter because the posts are purely ridiculous (i.e., http://forum.interference.com/t150818.html )
-People openly discuss opening new memberships simply to sway a poll
- And, of course, more fights

I'm sure it's fun for the people who have an alter, but IMO they're wasting screennames for potential new members, usually starting nothing but trouble, and a plain old pain in the ass. :yes: I guess I'd say it's okay for a mod to have one so that they don't always have to have the weight of being a mod thrown into everything they say, but even then....:shrug:

I dunno. I know you can't prevent someone from creating different email addresses to use, but isn't there anything that can be done?

Last edited:
We have always allowed alters, but abuse of alters will usually get the alters banned from the forum. If members register alters solely to cause trouble/troll the forums they are removed.

i'm sure.

yes, let's remove alters.

and while we're at it, maybe we could remove everything else that ever made this place great.

:|

lmao @ all the posts above chizzer's

Utoo said:
Alters don't seem to do anything but stir things up--and rarely in a good way.

In the year or so that I've been on here, I've seen:

- Alters start or fuel dozens of arguments (not discussions)
- Alters trash-talk members & other fans
- Threads digress into discussions of whether or not a poster is an alter because the posts are purely ridiculous (i.e., http://forum.interference.com/t150818.html )
-People openly discuss opening new memberships simply to sway a poll
- And, of course, more fights

I'm sure it's fun for the people who have an alter, but IMO they're wasting screennames for potential new members, usually starting nothing but trouble, and a plain old pain in the ass. :yes: I guess I'd say it's okay for a mod to have one so that they don't always have to have the weight of being a mod thrown into everything they say, but even then....:shrug:

I dunno. I know you can't prevent someone from creating different email addresses to use, but isn't there anything that can be done?
hey dont use mine im not an alter.....

Re: Re: No Alters!

love_u2_adam said:

hey dont use mine im not an alter.....

I just used that thread as an example of how some threads end up turning into a discussion about whether or not a poster is for real--instead of discussing whatever topic the thread's about. 'Tis all. :)

I just think it's odd that if an alter is really used to be funny, why can't someone be funny without it? Kinda weird to need a fake personality in order to protect another fake online personality...

Oh well. Just a thought. :shrug:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: No Alters!

Utoo said:

I just think it's odd that if an alter is really used to be funny, why can't someone be funny without it? Kinda weird to need a fake personality in order to protect another fake online personality...

Oh well. Just a thought. :shrug:

I don't think most people NEED them.

Again, they are pretty harmless, I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Well I do see the point. The big deal is when people use alters solely to talk shit or cause trouble. Then it becomes highly annoying and time consuming as I need to do research to find out who the alter is, and then ultimately ban them if they are using it to cause trouble.

Sicy said:
Well I do see the point. The big deal is when people use alters solely to talk shit or cause trouble. Then it becomes highly annoying and time consuming as I need to do research to find out who the alter is, and then ultimately ban them if they are using it to cause trouble.

I COMPLETELY agree with that.

I guess I'm just talking about the one's that are more based on inside jokes, stuff like that.

But, yes, the ones that suck and cause shit should be taken out back and peed on.

zoney! said:

Not technically....but, just think...no one would have ever posted in the Church thread if you posted it as your alter "jick"

;)

oooh. funny! :happy:

and I was sure you were going to say no one would have posted in the Church thread if it wasn't for all my alters.... You're losing your touch. :wink:

bonosgirl84 said:

well, it certainly wasn't all the shitty remarks that did.

You know the weird thing about that is I'm sure some comments you find delightful I find shitty and some comments I find delightful you find shitty. For instance I imagine you found my comment above kind of shitty. And I found your comment that prompted mine kind of shitty too. :)

A place like this is never going to be perfect for everyone. You either find something that makes the place worth visiting or you don't. That's how I look at it anyway.

Utoo I think I answered your question?

If not feel free to send me a pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom