New Look of Front Page?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dawnboo

The Fly
I noticed that the look of the front page of interference.com has been different for the past few weeks... Larger fonts, columns switched around, and less info about the Active Threads. Honestly, I liked the old look of the page better and found it easier to navigate. Why was it changed?

Thanks for responding - and for maintaining the best U2 forum on the web!

Dawn

I've actually been meaning to post about the redesign as well. I know there have been some changes in the editorial staff lately (why was that never announced?), which might be part of the reason for the new layout.

I do like that the Intermedia content was moved, because I often forgot it was there in its former location, but I don't like that it's taking the first column. It's not the main part of the site--we're still primarily a U2 site, even if there isn't much with U2 going on right now--so I don't think it should get the main spot. I also don't think the larger font looks as professional as the previous font did.

We obviously can't afford the fancy design of U2.com, but we update our content much more often. That's part of what makes Interference stand out among U2 sites. I think it's important for us to continue publishing our original content in the most user-friendly format possible, though.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I've actually been meaning to post about the redesign as well.......

....I do like that the Intermedia content was moved, because I often forgot it was there in its former location, but I don't like that it's taking the first column. It's not the main part of the site--we're still primarily a U2 site, even if there isn't much with U2 going on right now--so I don't think it should get the main spot. I also don't think the larger font looks as professional as the previous font did.

Agreed on all accounts. I guess that having the U2 material in the middle may catch your eye initially, but then my eye goes back to the left toward the non-U2 stuff. Part of what makes that happen is that the non-U2 stuff (on both sides) has pictures, while the U2 material has nothing at all.

I also noticed that under Interference.com it says: " U2 Fans, Pop Culture Webzine, & More." I don't know if it always said that and the new layout made me notice it....but that slogan seems to heavily de-emphasize U2. Not the biggest fan.

I know a lot of work gets put into the non-U2 articles, and I do appreciate it. But seeing as how anyone's initial draw to the site would be for U2 information & the U2 forum, and noticing the deplorably few reply posts many of the non-U2 articles get....makes me wonder if U2-related stuff really should still be blatantly highlighted on the front page & the slogan (I'm thinking 'yes'). :shrug:

I've also been wondering the same things about the front page as well as the change in editorial staff.

I check the front page quite frequently and not to be harsh but at the moment it reminds me of a jumbled newspaper. I actually just noticed that there was U2 News this month. It seems to simply get lost in the middle. I think the most actively updated section should go first, followed by the second and third, if everything's to remain in a column style.

It seems the site would have some more space if the ads at the top (Total Tickets, and the Interference Shop) were moved to the bottom of the front page. Then you could have the red menu links positioned at the very very top and do something spiffy with the site graphic and logo. And then you would have a little more room to spread out the various content sections or at least seperate them somehow. There's actaully quite a lot of wasted space at the bottom on the right and center.

I personally think it could use an entire overhaul, but I know that it takes time, and I think they said they were working on one...:hmm:

They're trying to emphasize the non-U2 music content a bit more. Although I have to say I'm now much more up to date on the live music scene in Tennessee, the front page could really use a Web 2.0 makeover with some drop shadows and Javascript-induced image reflection or two.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
They're trying to emphasize the non-U2 music content a bit more.

That's the problem. The U2 stuff gets lost and plays second fiddle to articles about other bands playing in random cities. I know that there's a lot of work put into the "Intermedia" articles, but most of the threads in Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills have more replies than the entire first page of "Intermedia" combined. As fun as it may be for the people writing the Intermedia stuff, I don't know if Interference is really the right place to highlight it. :shrug:

See, reflections! Web 2.0! AJAX! Long tail!

untitled14bj5.png

I appreciate all the comments/suggestions. The front page as it is right now is not a permanent layout. The fact that things are a bit slow w/U2 news/stories right now has given us the opportunity to try a few different things. We'll see how it goes.

Our non-U2 content is a great outlet for our writers, as well as for readers to be exposed to 'other' stuff. It's also a good way to attract new people, as well as build credibility was more than just a 'fan site'. Dont worry though, the U2 stuff isnt going away.

And yah, I know we need a new design... priority #1 right now is moving to a new, bigger, badder, mofo of a server (which is hopefully going to happen this week).

Yeah, server first, site second. Doesn't matter what the front page looks like if the forum crashes and burns :|

Servers run the tens upon tens of internets which we use to transport our data via dump truck, martha.

Back
Top Bottom