New Forum is Up! Still tweaking things though...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something seems a lil funny here but I just can't quite put my finger on what...
:hmm:

unodostres14.jpg

Been noticing it randomly all over the forum. Thought I was hallucinating at first.:wink:

Sorry if it's been mentioned already. As a new feature, can we have every thread count as "1,2,3,14"? Just for shits and giggles.

I assumed that's so that we could get to the later pages of the thread more easily, as opposed to having to click by threes to get there. I like it. :drool:

I also note that I once more have an avatar! Huzzah! I feel complete. :happy:

We were spontaneously cured! :happy:

Something seems a lil funny here but I just can't quite put my finger on what...

unodostres14.jpg

Been noticing it randomly all over the forum. Thought I was hallucinating at first.:wink:

Sorry if it's been mentioned already. As a new feature, can we have every thread count as "1,2,3,14"? Just for shits and giggles.

:lmao: YES

hmm...everything looks pretty good, i like the updated home page :up:

but at the top of the page, there is a forum breakdown to where you are currently- like right now it says "U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast > New Forum is Up! Stil tweaking things though..."

my question is, what happened to that at the bottom of the page? Having it at the bottom of the page was very convenient because you could click on any of those forums or sub forums if you're done reading a thread and you're at the bottom of the page and it will take you back, instead of having to scroll all the way up again to return to another forum....I hope I am making sense :lol:

thanks again :)

This is a feature I asked about as well because I would use those quick links all the time (yes I am that lazy that I hate scrolling ALLLLLL the way back up to the top of the page :shh: ) - still hoping it will be added at some point...

Forum Jump is there, all the way at the bottom right hand corner of the page. I know it seems pretty far down, but the more things they change, the harder future upgrades will be.

Am I the only one who would rather have the forum-->subforum-->thread link at the bottom too, rather than the forum jump menu? :shifty:

:reject:

I'm so hilarious, I sometimes pee my pants

I assumed that's so that we could get to the later pages of the thread more easily, as opposed to having to click by threes to get there. I like it. :drool:

Actually, you're right, that could prove handy.

But in that case, I was on page 24, not page 13. And it only happens in one direction...ie, in this thread if I'm on page 1 I see " 1,2,3,4,5..."
but if I'm on page 24 I see "13, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24"

to which I say, :scratch:

We were spontaneously cured! :happy:

We have been blessed! Sing the praise sista! Amen!! :bow:

Last edited:

But in that case, I was on page 24, not page 13. And it only happens in one direction...ie, in this thread if I'm on page 1 I see " 1,2,3,4,5..."

to which is say, :scratch:

Were you on page 24 or 23? Because it seems that you get a list of the last few pages, then 10 pages back and then the first one. Probably for quickly jumping to a page in the thread. :)

Oh and just a small bug report.
The Recent Comments section in the Journals/Blogs isn't working. Or well, it's working kinda. But when you click on a comment you get to a random post/thread on the board.
:huh:

to which I say, :scratch:

We have been blessed! Sing the praise sista! Amen!! :bow:

Weird, if I go to page 1 of this thread, I see 1, 2, 3, 4, 11.

It's a miracle! They need to build a shrine to us to commemorate this glorious event! :drool:

Were you on page 24 or 23? Because it seems that you get a list of the last few pages, then 10 pages back and then the first one. Probably for quickly jumping to a page in the thread. :)

I concede you may be onto something there...

However, I still stand by my "1,2,3,14" suggestion. :wink:

Also is the forum running slow for anybody else - I assume due to the continued tweaking and stuff - or is it just my stupid computer?

ETA:
Holy crap, I guess it's just my frickin computer. :rant:

Am I the only one who would rather have the forum-->subforum-->thread link at the bottom too, rather than the forum jump menu? :shifty:

:reject:

I agree. The thread link is easier to navigate with than the forum jump.

Although.... with the forum jump, you can go directly from say, Out Of Control to Zoo Confessionals whereas you can't do that with the thread link. There is an extra U2 Feedback step in the way. :lazyasses: :wink:

The Recent Comments section in the Journals/Blogs isn't working. Or well, it's working kinda. But when you click on a comment you get to a random post/thread on the board.
:huh:

yeah I found that this morning.. working on it. Thanks.

Ok so here's the thing about adding extra features that dont come with this software (like the forum navigation links you are referring to above, or the local post times). Basically these are extra 'hacks' that need to be coded in the software, and when you have a lot of hacks, like we did on the old forum, it makes upgrading the board a nightmare. Which is why Joel never upgraded the board. So some of these things cannot easily be added if we want to make upgrading the board in the future painless. Sorry.

Just so this doesn't get buried...

I already brought that up earlier...
Oh and another thing...

Why is it that after we make a post, it redirects to the top of the page instead of right to that post?

Sorry, not trying to overwhelm you guys. You're doing a great job!

That's weird, I just replied to this thread and it took me right back to my post :shrug:

lemme try it again...

ETA: I figured maybe with a quote it was taking me to the top of the page but no, it worked again! Never mind then. Strange.

Ok so here's the thing about adding extra features that dont come with this software (like the forum navigation links you are referring to above, or the local post times). Basically these are extra 'hacks' that need to be coded in the software, and when you have a lot of hacks, like we did on the old forum, it makes upgrading the board a nightmare. Which is why Joel never upgraded the board. So some of these things cannot easily be added if we want to make upgrading the board in the future painless. Sorry.

I completely understand your point. And I suppose we'll just have to tough out having to forum jump rather than link thread things....

But, I do think the poster's current time thing was really a great worthwhile and handy feature, since this board has people posting from all over the place.

On an unrelated note, I think you guys spelt register wrong on the fancy new main page...
I dare not go back and double check given how slow my computer is running at the moment...:grumpy:

1 2 3 14!

But, I do think the poster's current time thing was really a great worthwhile and handy feature, since this board has people posting from all over the place.

:yes:

And when I posted this, it took me back to the top of the page, not to my post :scratch:

Last edited:
Ok, so I went to the main forum page, clicked the little arrow and was brought to the proper page..

Hmm, how odd?

Ok, so I went to the main forum page, clicked the little arrow and was brought to the proper page..

Hmm, how odd?

I tried it again just now and it still gives me that Invalid link error. Actually it said "No thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please contact your admin"

I was hit with the "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" when I just tried to follow the arrow button on the main forum page.

Attachments

• interference-error.jpg
    interference-error.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 20

Just a heads up on this. The last version of the software basically required all hacks to be hard coded into the software. This of course made upgrading a real life nightmare because you had to dig through about a hundred files to find your hacked code and then find where to put it in the new version. This didn't even take into account template edits.

This version however allows you to install hacks (or products/plugins as they are called now) virtually into the code. This means you generally do not have to physically alter the code, you just install a plugin or product. So there are many mods we can install without usually affecting further upgrades.

At the vbulletin.org website, you can find many mods for VB 3.7. Now these mods are made by just average joes and are not warrantied or backed by anyone. There are many hacks that are buggy and sub standard but there are a few that make the forums so much better.

In general, we will try to keep mods down to a minimum because they do use resources. For techies, basically most plugin code is executed in the eval() function which is 10X slower than just running the code.

Example of a product? The blogs here are a product, although an actual official product of the forum developers.

I was hit with the "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" when I just tried to follow the arrow button on the main forum page.

Ok, could you tell me which thread you clicked the arrow on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom