New Forum is Up! Still tweaking things though... - Page 62 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #916
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:31 AM
I don't mind the little ad at the top and bottom, but that large one when I went to log in today seems too large.

Just adding my 2 virtual cents.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #917
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:31 PM
I get zero ads while at home. Firefox + Ad Block Plus =

All you people, quit your bitching and download Ad Block Plus already! There's ads everywhere.. myspace, yahoo, msn etc. it's not just Interference.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #918
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post

All you people, quit your bitching and download Ad Block Plus already! There's ads everywhere.. myspace, yahoo, msn etc. it's not just Interference.
This post is all kinds of win.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #919
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Is the point of the move something by the advertisers to make it more likely that we will accidentally click on the ad? I mean, really, all it does is get in the way being between two relevant portions of the site as opposed to just being on top, so I'm guessing that's just something stipulated by Google Ads.
This. I often scroll to the top of the page to get to the main forum links and CP links, but now that ad gets in the way and throws me off. It was so much more convenient when everything was together, with the ad above.

If the ad MUST be lower on the page, I'd rather see inches of dead space above it, and the navigation bar back below it with the rest of the page where it belongs. But I guess that defeats the purpose of SHOVING it in our faces where we can't avoid it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Yes, which is really bothering me. What am I paying you guys for anymore? Yeah I get "extras" but I lost my ability to have Last.Fm in my sig, anyone can PM now, I get to play arcade games? Now there are MORE ads? I just don't see what the point of a Premium membership is.
Yeah, definitely not going to renew my Premium account. This is ridiculous. I can't figure out what the actual benefits of being Premium are anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
All I did was move the ad down about 1.5" on the screen. I hear you that you all don't like them but I ask you to please be patient and that your point has been noted.
That wasn't ALL you did, you broke up the flow of the page, making it more difficult for us to access the bar at the top when we need it.

Quote:

Hey, I had Ad Block, but I have it turned off for Interference, because the ads so often bring the lulz. But the new position of the ad bothers me so, that I'll probably end up turning it back on
Old 09-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #920
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Would you like to buy advertising space in my signature before my premium account lapses?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #921
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:

A valid point, although it doesn't solve the problem of when I access the site from other locations....

And as I said, I dont mind some ads, I've grown almost fond of the humour the google ads of before brought...they are just, so in your face now, etc.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #922
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:
There's ads everywhere.. myspace, yahoo, msn etc. it's not just Interference.
But those aren't sites that I pay to access.

It just looks tacky now. I'm not pleased with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
In an effort to bring more value to all of our members the set of features were expanded. All Premium members were given an extra 6 month upgrade at the same time. I spent a tremendous amount of money on programmers and software upgrades, servers and other things to upgrade Interference which are all part of a plan to get our community modernized. It costs lots of money to host a site this size and right now Interference is loosing money. The ads are a necessary evil to help support a community of this size.

All I did was move the ad down about 1.5" on the screen. I hear you that you all don't like them but I ask you to please be patient and that your point has been noted.
The money you spent was your choice, it was not on things that any of us asked for. I think we were all fairly content with the way that things were. The six month bonus, while a very nice gesture, again wasn't anything we asked for.

What will our patience be rewarded with? More ads? Ad jumps? I was okay paying for a site that features one unobtrusive ad, but this is really pushing it.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #923
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
This post is all kinds of win.
If it's made of all kinds of win then are you saying that you don't support the ads on the page? That's not a way to solve the problem, it's a patchy solution for some people. It's not just "bitching" I would like to see a way for this to work better, but right now it's just not aesthetically pleasing, ESPECIALLY to new members, and I think that's the one problem most of us are having. I don't see how increased ad space is the ONLY way for interference to make money. Why not bring back the shirts, and maybe advertise them better? Or even allow members of the site to work out a design, as a contest sort of thing. I'm not saying this is anywhere near a good solution, I know very little about what it takes to run this site, so I'm not going to pretend I know how to fix everything, but I just would think this is not the BEST solution.

Like VP said, I pay for my subscription like a lot of people on this site do. When the forum switched, I grumbled a little at losing some of the benefits of being a premium member, but now, I don't see why as a premium member, I can at least lose the text bar ad. The text bar ad is what's really bothering me about this whole thing.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #924
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
That's a great point. Yeah, paying members probably should not be bombarded with ads. Leave the ads on for the non-premiums maybe?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #925
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

For people who are wondering what they are getting with their premium membership, I just wanted to remind you of this thread which breaks down the benefits of premium and non-premium membership:

http://forum.interference.com/f224/n...es-188170.html

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #926
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post

It just looks tacky now. I'm not pleased with this.
QFT.

I understand that the world isn't free, but I think we need to come up with better and more creative solutions.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #927
She's the One

Dang. I was logging in at work just now and that ad sure wouldn't make me want to sign up.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #928
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:

I'm not gonna download crap on my computer just to access a site I've paid for. Yes other sites have ads, but this particular reformat is an insult to users. It is clearly a method to create an illusion of interference-related links under the ad (which displaced the real site links) so that users can accidentally clique on them.

And I can't download firefox on my mobile. It was convenient for me to check the latest posts in the gatherings threads on my mobile to find out when/where to meet the people who do not have a mobile (so they can't text or ring me.) Now I can barely read the freaking site, and that's if it doesn't freeze on me.

I don't think the solution should be to download or alter my software. If the admin or whoever is responsible for making it user-unfriendly that it is his/her responsibility to fix it accordingly. I don't have these problems with other sites I frequent. Then again, those sites have a m. site specifically for phones. Look at that, reaching out to the people to meet THEIR needs. What an odd concept!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #929
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Looks like having a cash cow is more troublesome than originally thought.

Have a peanut butter and banana sandwich on me, Andy.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #930
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:31 AM
With all this talk, I am more aware of these ads than ever before.

I personally did not mind them before, I mean this is a business for those associated.
And there are more important things to worry about. IMO.

Tags
new beginnings