New Forum is Up! Still tweaking things though...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just glad they aren't pop ups or those annoying hovering ads that you have to click on something to get them to close or minimize so they are out of your way and you can continue normally. Banner ads aren't that terrible.

I'm just glad they aren't pop ups or those annoying hovering ads that you have to click on something to get them to close or minimize so they are out of your way and you can continue normally. Banner ads aren't that terrible.

Well the hover links DO exist if you're logged out. Which is what some people
are having a big issue with.

Just saying

I'm not gonna download crap on my computer just to access a site I've paid for.

Fair enough. I'm not premium so I guess I don't see the big deal here when other sites have ads too. But I don't pay for those sites either. When you pay, you at least expect annoying ads to disappear!

Actually, at work I still have IE (with no ad blocker) and it is indeed annoying to wait for the page to load after the ad. I cannot download Firefox either cos it's all controlled by the IT dept. Would they let me download an ad blocker in IE? I doubt it. I'm not even supposed to be on the internet at work. :lol:

Oh and just because we don't have to deal with roll over pop up ads (which are indeed the worst kind of ads in the universe! :mad: ) doesn't mean banner ads aren't annoying! :shrug:

I'm just glad they aren't pop ups or those annoying hovering ads that you have to click on something to get them to close or minimize so they are out of your way and you can continue normally.

Well the hover links DO exist if you're logged out. Which is what some people
are having a big issue with.

Just saying

Which is exactly what I've been saying. On top of the big ugly banner ad, those pop up things just topped it off, and not in a good way.

To be fair however, just before I signed in now, I noticed, those seem to be gone?
Did you guys change something, because if so, I *do* appreciate it.

Actually, at work I still have IE (with no ad blocker) and it is indeed annoying to wait for the page to load after the ad.

Actually, I was just noticing that....the page and ad do seem to take longer to load.

Like VP said, I pay for my subscription like a lot of people on this site do. When the forum switched, I grumbled a little at losing some of the benefits of being a premium member, but now, I don't see why as a premium member, I can at least lose the text bar ad. The text bar ad is what's really bothering me about this whole thing.
Yes. It's the worst, because it looks like the former navigation bar, which is now higher up, and my brain keeps wanting me to click on it to go to the CP or whatever :scream:

How about it, Andy? At the very least, can we please get rid of the text bar ad, or move it to the bottom? Or will you admit that you placed it there specifically so we'd accidentally click on it, generating more ad-revenue.

It just seems like there'd be an easier way to make the "needed" money (though I suspect the premium payments bring in plenty on their own, and the extra is just icing on the cake) without resorting to such obtrusive ads.

I used to work for a forum that was about as busy as Interference. It had some pretty damn obtrusive ads. Ads that would make everyone here cringe. Ads that popped up and talked to you. But it also didn't ask members to pay $18 a year for extra benefits. Everybody got all the benefits for free.

Do you want more members to join? I lurked here for a while before I signed up, and I know that if the site had had ads for non-members then as it does now, I might have questioned signing up, because I wouldn't know that there'd be less ads upon joining.

The ones that exploit our posts by picking words and turning them into rollover ads are really fucking disturbing. It feels like a violation. I don't post here just so I can have my words twisted around and turned into ads to line your pockets with.

Did I fall asleep? Is it 1984?

Try having multiple tabs open, and having your speakers on...and then suddenly having your computer talk to you...

iz scary! :sad:

:sad: wut wut wut????

:scream: SHUT UP COMPUTER! I DO NOT WANT TO TALK TO YOU! TALK TO THE HAND!

:sad: and would it listen? would it????

:tsk: they'll be like men and never listen, I tell ya!

Do you want more members to join? I lurked here for a while before I signed up, and I know that if the site had had ads for non-members then as it does now, I might have questioned signing up, because I wouldn't know that there'd be less ads upon joining.

Have you logged out? It does tell you that you will get less ads if you join

Carlos' Business Ethics: Grab some lube and STFU. :cute:

:love:

Having seen what it looks like logged out, I wouldn't have signed up.

I think that very few would. I know that when I load a page with advertising like that, the page barely even loads before I've closed it again. I can't be bothered to go through the trouble of moving my cursor ever so carefully to prevent the ads from popping up, so I don't even look at it beyond identifying that it's one of those crappy advertising sites and immediately looking for the red x to close the tab.

same here :crack: keep on clicking the fucking banner instead of going back to the main page

Precisely the point. Fantastic business strategy; capitalize on the fuckups of your customers.

The only thing I'm personally annoyed about is the new placement of the banner. Guests can't contribute anything but hits anyway, so you might as well take advantage of that.

For people who are wondering what they are getting with their premium membership, I just wanted to remind you of this thread which breaks down the benefits of premium and non-premium membership:

http://forum.interference.com/f224/new-premium-non-premium-membership-changes-188170.html

This link does a poor job of comparing directly the premium and non-premium benefits. So, here's a summary:

Premium Benefits Compared to Non-Premium
- A larger avatar
- Animated avatars are allowed
- A signature
- More space allotted for PMs
- More recipients allowed for PMs
- Can track your messages
- Can start arcade tournaments
- Unlimited access to the arcade (non-premiums can only play 10 times a day)
- Unlimited photos in your photo albums
- Ability to e-mail members
- Added space for attachments to posts
- Custom User Title
- View who's online
- Can view iSpy
- Can start polls
- Can view Mr. Pussy's Cafe de Luxe

So, basically, you have a little more creativity (user titles, signatures, and slightly larger avatars), some more space (albums, attachments, PMs), you can use the arcade more, and you can start polls and see Mr. Pussy's Cafe de Luxe.

Based on that, it's up to the members whether or not they think it's worth it to be premium.

It's not that big of a deal to me, but it all looks pretty tacky. Am I allowed to say this?

If you are one that likes to lurk without logging in, you can disable the roll over ads by rolling over one, click the question mark in the top left corner of the box, then in the new window click on the 'disable ads' tab.

Personally, the banner ads really don't bother me, I almost never scroll to the bottom of the page anyway and I am always logged in so the 'guest' ads don't bother me either. The moving of the top banner is just something to get used to, like everything else. I'm already pretty much used to it.

Personally, the banner ads really don't bother me, I almost never scroll to the bottom of the page anyway and I am always logged in so the 'guest' ads don't bother me either. The moving of the top banner is just something to get used to, like everything else. I'm already pretty much used to it.
Bah, you just have to say that because Andy can fire you :grumpy:

My 2 cents? :shrug: For what it's worth?
interference.jpg

1. Ad is placed right where your eyes naturally fall on the screen. My first reaction? If the background wasn't blue, I would have thought I was on a website for Free Ringtones.
Where it was before, I was aware of it but unless I CHOSE to read the banner, it didn't 'take over' my vision.

2. 'Interference' looks really insignificant and even more like an afterthought plonked in the top corner, just to say it's there. I realise that's where it's always been but now it looks really sad :sad:

3. If the Ad MUST stay there, along with the text bar, could you at least have the courtesy to make it a different colour? It feels really underhand and misleading to have it the same colour as the other bars....:shrug:

Ok, I'll shut up now... :reject:

I think most people will get used to it pretty quickly. I know within a few days I won't even notice the ads anymore. I have noticed almost every board I frequent has ads now. Some of them have far more than IF, and I'm still able to ignore the ads and enjoy those boards. I really do think people can decide to be irritated by the ads or they can decide not to be irritated by them. I just figure nothing comes for free and if a few ads on the site are the price that's not a big problem.

:reject: And I must be honest and say that although my subconscience knew that something was 'different', I didn't know what it was until I read this thread :reject:

Guess that null and voids my other post.... :giggle:

If you are one that likes to lurk without logging in, you can disable the roll over ads by rolling over one, click the question mark in the top left corner of the box, then in the new window click on the 'disable ads' tab.

All the question mark window told me was how to put those damn things in my webpage. Perhaps Safari doesn't have the option to disable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom