MERGED ----> Search function + Let Me Search!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TVChick

The Fly
Search function

If I'm understanding correctly, one has to be a paying member of Interference to use the search function. While I understand that this function probably uses a lot of extra bandwith n whatnot that costs, I think it would help users (esp new users) to keep from posting repetative threads.

I know that I've not posted a few things because I worry that it's probably a repeat, or I'm not sure which of the many forums it might belong in. I doubt I'm the only one ;), and I think being able to use the search function would probably help people like me.

Thanks for your consideration. :)

like you said, it uses up a lot of bandwidth. unfortunately, it's too expensive of a feature to let everyone access it, so we have to limit it only to premium members.

it's only $2 a month or $12 a year to pay for it, which is a small price to pay if the features are important to you. :)

I do searches for non premium members for 50 cents per search

Is there a reason why you have to wait 30 seconds in between searches? Perhaps a bandwidth issue or something?

Not a big deal - I was just wondering. Sometimes when I do a search and nothing comes up, I go back to do another one right away and forget about the 30 seconds.

Let me search!

Just a though...

Can everyone be alowed to use the search function? I think ti would greatly reduce clutter on the board as very often i find my self making or seeing duplicate topics to ones that were posted from any where to a few weeks ago to a few days.

I understand it might pose some tech problems with space but I think it would slow down the huge growth of topics in the board and even lead to more thought out, comprehensive and significant posts.

Dont get me wrong about going for a premium membership though. I am sure it is great and would help what seems to be a great community, I just dont know if this is the place for me yet.

Thanks for listening :D

Most people won't even use the band index in B&C, and that is right at the top of the page and easier to use than search. So I really doubt allowing everyone to use search would solve topic duplication problems.

Another thought is you can get Premium Membership on a monthly basis for $2 per month. That would give you the time to check out the place more as well as check out the actual offerings of Premium Membership. All for about half the price of a latte. :)

Last edited:
Tarvark said:
Exactly. I think that rather proves my poitn :p

No.
It proves indra's point that most users are too stupid to look even a little bit on the same page, let alone going to a different screen to perform a search.
Or they are so vain that they need a thread started by themselves instead of posting in an already open thread. Which makes them stupid as well.

:shrug:

And I tend to like Tarvark's posts (well the one's I remember anyway)...until his "Exactly. I think that rather proves my poitn :p " post, which just blows so much of his credibility.... :sigh:

Ah, Tarvark, you started out so well....

:wink:

Well let me clear a few things up.

I did not mean for the search on the same page thing to happen. Believe it or not I did look for it but did not think to look for it on this page. Thats a my bad. But believe me, I would have searched for it :D

As for "Exactly. I think that rather proves my poitn :p" was a bit of a joke. I blame it on your forum smiles. Everyone knows that the :p denotes alittle bit of fun! Not quite cynical but unserious. I mean it is like the one smile that transfers over 100% to real life.

But no, the smile machine cant pick it up. Noooo. That would be too easy.

I did not mean to offend or ruffle if thats what I did. And maybe because I sense my demise on this topic closing in a Premium Membership might be for me.

Dont let this be my downfall, I was getting to like it here. :p

Last edited:
Tarvark said:
Well let me clear a few things up.

I did not mean for the search on the same page thing to happen. Believe it or not I did look for it but did not think to look for it on this page. Thats a my bad. But believe me, I would have searched for it :D

As for "Exactly. I think that rather proves my poitn :p" was a bit of a joke. I blame it on your forum smiles. Everyone knows that the :p denotes alittle bit of fun! Not quite cynical but unserious. I mean it is like the one smile that transfers over 100% to real life.

But no, the smile machine cant pick it up. Noooo. That would be too easy.

I did not mean to offend or ruffle if thats what I did. And maybe because I sense my demise on this topic closing in a Premium Membership might be for me.

Dont let this be my downfall, I was getting to like it here. :p

No worries, babe. I actually enjoy many of your posts.

And parts of this thread were hilarious. :wink:

Oh boy, now I have to worry about being overtly apologetic. The social life on this forum never gets easier :wink:

As for the topic, I think it is a good idea but it is up to the powers to be. I see the bandwith issue, but it seems like a sort of fundemental thing to miss. Plus I do think it would help with clutter.

And I love all of you too! And, I consider Aardvark to be my lost brother from birth!

Tarvark said:
And I love all of you too! And, I consider Aardvark to be my lost brother from birth!

Ack! The Vark twins strike again. :yikes:

:wink:

I resisted premium membership for a while too. But I eventually caved. :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom