Just wondering, re the new album forum.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I don't know how it worked last time, because I wasn't registered as the album came out, but I reckon it would be sooo much easier, more organised and better if we maybe me a thread for each song on the album. So 11 songs, 11 threads. That way, you won't get two million threads along the lines of "what do you think of this song's guitar" "bono's vocals on..." etc etc etc and if you want to discuss a specific song you can jump in that thread.

Just a thought. :)

There wont be 2 million threads (for long anyway lol). That's what the merge function is for.

And I think having a full (example) "All No Line on the Horizon Discussion Thread" would make it more noticeable to people that would have created an unnecessary thread that they can just post in there.

So what happens if someone wants to discuss two songs at once? Or they want to compare songs? Then that's a bunch more threads anyway. I mean obviously the mods will do our best to keep things organized. It's not a horrible idea, I just don't know if it will work.

I think many music forums have threads like this when a new album arrives (and made them sticky too). Sure, you still have people wanting to discuss two new songs together in one post (and many brainless others who either don't want to see a thread titled LOOK HERE! DISCUSS NEW SONG ... HERE!!! or think they're entitled to a separate thread), but at least you've got the basics covered. :)

So what happens if someone wants to discuss two songs at once? Or they want to compare songs? Then that's a bunch more threads anyway. I mean obviously the mods will do our best to keep things organized. It's not a horrible idea, I just don't know if it will work.
There could maybe be a general discussion thread for that sort of thing? It could go something like this:

(using Pop as an example, 'cause it's the best)

Pop general discussion thread - Post here to discuss multiple songs and the album in general!
Discotheque discussion thread - Discuss track one here!
Do You Feel Loved discussion thread - Discuss track two here!
Mofo discussion thread - Discuss track three here!

And so on and so forth. Doesn't seem very complicated. It would only be 13 or so things to keep up with.

There could maybe be a general discussion thread for that sort of thing? It could go something like this:

Pop general discussion thread - Post here to discuss multiple songs and the album in general!

And so on and so forth. Doesn't seem very complicated. It would only be 13 or so things to keep up with.

Exactly what I had in mind :love:

Won't hurt to give it a shot I reggon

:up::up::up::up::up::up:

It's a good idea but...

many brainless others who either don't want to see a thread titled LOOK HERE! DISCUSS NEW SONG ... HERE!!! or think they're entitled to a separate thread

...that is exactly what will happen! Worth a shot though.

I think in the end, no matter how you go about it, mods will have to end up merging threads anyway

so I guess you'll get what you wish for one way or the other

I would just like to remind people that it is helpful to give their threads a good subject. For example, specifying a song title in the subject makes it obvious what a thread is about. Subjects like, "Bono's Vocals In This Song Are Awesome" or "This Is Some Of Edge's Best Guitar Work" are vague. I think people do that on purpose sometimes because they are hoping to entice people to click on a thread to find out what they are talking about, but it would be so much more helpful to just be specific.

I would just like to remind people that it is helpful to give their threads a good subject. For example, specifying a song title in the subject makes it obvious what a thread is about. Subjects like, "Bono's Vocals In This Song Are Awesome" or "This Is Some Of Edge's Best Guitar Work" are vague. I think people do that on purpose sometimes because they are hoping to entice people to click on a thread to find out what they are talking about, but it would be so much more helpful to just be specific.
i propose a new rule: anyone caught giving their thread an ambiguous title is subject to the mods renaming to whatever they choose :evil:

So basically.... it will be like COBL's suggestion? :confused:

Haha well yeah for the most part.. I mean my initial reply to this thread was:

There wont be 2 million threads (for long anyway lol). That's what the merge function is for.

And as you can see those threads I just posted were merged.

It's just not realistic to think that ALL the discussion for each of those songs will absolutely stay in those threads only. I think that's what he thinks will happen if we make a thread for every song.

Back
Top Bottom