Just a question.. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2003, 03:45 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Just a question..

I think it is kind of absurd that mods have to close down the posts where some one is saying bad things about U2. We are, for the most part, mature people. Can't we simply ignore these posts? I have seen SOOO many closed posts in the past couple days or so. There are people who don't like U2 who will come here. Big deal. Why do people have to respond to it saying "you're stupid" or anything? It's sad we have to sink to the level to close the posts. I always liked this board because it wasn't so censored you couldnt say anything..but not totally smutty. I just don't like the closing of posts as much as it's been happening. Just wondered if i am alone in thinking this. I don't mean any disrespect to the mods. i am grateful to you guys. this was just a thought.

Old 04-05-2003, 04:42 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Very well put... I'm puzzled as to the censorship issue. It seems that you need to conform to a certain set of standards here, and any deviation from them will close a thread. The key to success... try not to associate yourself with the wrong crowd, and make sure not to voice a relevant opinion... that would be madness, pure and utter madness.

I just wish I had read the interference manual before I signed on...

Old 04-05-2003, 05:07 AM   #3
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:48 AM
think it is kind of absurd that people have to come to a U2 forum to post shit about U2

we could ignore everything I guess,
but I'm not planning on doing so
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 05:16 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:48 PM
I must be pretty oblivious. But I don't go to ETYKIW very often these days to notice all the closed threads.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:45 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
Very well put... I'm puzzled as to the censorship issue. It seems that you need to conform to a certain set of standards here, and any deviation from them will close a thread.
Who ever said this place was a democracy? This is a private site, run by a private person. Elvis and the mods who volunteer to run this site want this board to be free of garbage like the thread in EYKIW that you are refering to.

It is one thing to have a logical debate about an album or song. It is clearly another to have childish garbage posted by someone who can't conduct themselves in a mature manner.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:25 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

Who ever said this place was a democracy? This is a private site, run by a private person. Elvis and the mods who volunteer to run this site want this board to be free of garbage like the thread in EYKIW that you are refering to.

It is one thing to have a logical debate about an album or song. It is clearly another to have childish garbage posted by someone who can't conduct themselves in a mature manner.
Well said!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:33 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

true..but it doesn't rid the board of people like that..they say something dumb..then some people from the board come back say something else dumb..and it gets closed down..then it repeats. I think simply ignoring them would make them go away faster!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:35 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

As Salome said, I too think it's pretty much a waste of time and energy to sign up for membership at a U2 based forum but then end up talking trash about U2. In defense for the mods though, Daisybean is absolutely right. I'm also actually quite happy that they are there to close the threads when and if they see appropriate. Please understand they are not trying to be the newest communist plot. They are just trying to squash arguments and fights before they get too far and cause hurt and resentment. Some mods here even hate having to close threads... but sometimes they just gotta. Yes, people have a right to their own opinions and to even post them (appropriately). But at the same time everyone also has the right to come here and be with friends while not having to be harrassed.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:36 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamsMango
true..but it doesn't rid the board of people like that..they say something dumb..then some people from the board come back say something else dumb..and it gets closed down..then it repeats. I think simply ignoring them would make them go away faster!
Thats true, but sometimes that doesn't wor either
Old 04-05-2003, 06:37 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

good question....unfortunately, people here are easily baited...they love the arguement. The trolls that like to post garbage do it because they know they will get a reaction. There will always be at least one person who will return in kind....it's better to close a thread before it turns into a complete train wreck, then to just say "well maybe, everyone will ignore it" because we all know they can't/won't.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #11
She's the One

Local Time: 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
Very well put... I'm puzzled as to the censorship issue. It seems that you need to conform to a certain set of standards here, and any deviation from them will close a thread. The key to success... try not to associate yourself with the wrong crowd, and make sure not to voice a relevant opinion... that would be madness, pure and utter madness.

I just wish I had read the interference manual before I signed on...
This isn't a small town where you have to live here and deal with the people. This is a voluntary association of people. If you don't like what you read in the manual now that you're here, you are free to disassociate yourself with the group. "Relevant opinions" is a good euphemism for "saying shit to piss people off on purpose." There is no "wrong crowd" here, there are only people who know how to keep things appropriate, and people who don't. Feel free to "deviate" elsewhere if you don't want to play by the rules of a voluntary association of people.

This whining about Interference really pisses me off! If you don't like it, you can leave! It's not a gulag!
Old 04-05-2003, 02:58 PM   #12
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
This whining about Interference really pisses me off! If you don't like it, you can leave! It's not a gulag!
Exactly. I'm sick and fucking tired of people bitching about closed threads. I assume AdamsMango is talking about the most recent one in EYKIW by megadrum2002. This thread was complete shit. What valid reason can you possibly have for keeping this thread open? Go ahead and search megadrum's posts. Do you think he's a U2 fan? Should we just let trolls shit all over the board?

Wake up. People will not ignore posts like this. There are hundreds of loyal fans here that will not sit back and let crap like this be posted. You think its just going to go away by itself?

I'm tired of being questioned. I'm tired of people screaming censorship. Its ridiculous. How can you call closing a thread that is solely posted to bash U2 censorship? What kind of fans are you? I've been running this board with Elvis for 2 years now.. I think I know what I'm doing. If you want to go post at an out of control board with no mods and shit threads all over the place, be my guest.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:02 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

Exactly. I'm sick and fucking tired of people bitching about closed threads. I assume AdamsMango is talking about the most recent one in EYKIW by megadrum2002. This thread was complete shit. What valid reason can you possibly have for keeping this thread open? Go ahead and search megadrum's posts. Do you think he's a U2 fan? Should we just let trolls shit all over the board?

Wake up. People will not ignore posts like this. There are hundreds of loyal fans here that will not sit back and let crap like this be posted. You think its just going to go away by itself?

I'm tired of being questioned. I'm tired of people screaming censorship. Its ridiculous. How can you call closing a thread that is solely posted to bash U2 censorship? What kind of fans are you? I've been running this board with Elvis for 2 years now.. I think I know what I'm doing. If you want to go post at an out of control board with no mods and shit threads all over the place, be my guest.

As a moderator myself, I echo this statement wholeheartedly.

We don't enjoy closing threads, but when people purposely post things that they know will cause a controversy, we will do what we feel is appropriate. It's not about censorship; it's about respecting others and what we all are here to discuss in the first place, U2.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:18 PM   #14
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamsMango

I think simply ignoring them would make them go away faster!

Sorry, but this is not what happens most of the time. If you let the kind of thread you are referring to go unchecked...it will not go away...it will grow and grow and grow until people are calling each other nasty names and using personal insults.

When you put up a thread as bait, someone will always respond.

The mods are doing a great job and instead of questioning every move they make and complaining about the rules, go to an unmoderated board and see the difference.

Closing a pointless thread is not censorship.

This is not directed at anyone in particular but I get so sick of people complaining about Interference...if there is so much wrong about the way things are run here, why come back?
Old 04-05-2003, 06:53 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

go to an unmoderated board and see the difference.

I think it's fair to say that five minutes in an unmoderated board makes us all appreciate the mods here that much more