ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:14 PM
baw

Old 04-05-2003, 08:47 PM   #17
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:14 PM

We're lucky to be in a well-moderated community. One of the things that is the most annoying at the Ryan Adams board is that all kinds of shit goes on there, and nobody ever seems to do anything about it. Sure, there have been a couple incidents where a member has been banned. The problem is, all you need to log into that board is an email address...no password even!! So they block that person's email address...and that person can just enter a different email address and have free range of the board.

That means a lot of crap goes on there that is really annoying sometimes. Also, I had problems with my account there, and I had nobody to contact for help. I finally had to just ditch that account and start over, losing my original username. That is completely opposite of this place where we have a whole bunch of people to contact for quick results with every problem.

We should be happy and appreciative that we have such a nice community here.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:11 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

This isn't a small town where you have to live here and deal with the people. This is a voluntary association of people. If you don't like what you read in the manual now that you're here, you are free to disassociate yourself with the group. "Relevant opinions" is a good euphemism for "saying shit to piss people off on purpose." There is no "wrong crowd" here, there are only people who know how to keep things appropriate, and people who don't. Feel free to "deviate" elsewhere if you don't want to play by the rules of a voluntary association of people.

This whining about Interference really pisses me off! If you don't like it, you can leave! It's not a gulag!
Not to beat a dead horse, but that's what I'm good at... thanks for putting words in my mouth. It's nice to see that blatant sarcasm is so difficult to decode. I have nothing against the organization or moderation of the system, but there is a lot of contradiction here... when you say that "I'm free to dissociate myself from the group" that's fine... but by the same token, those who don't necessarily agree with something can "dissociate themselves from a thread"... ignore it. I know that ignoring here works really well. On the other hand I do agree with closing threads that may cause personal offense, like those pertaining to religion or politics... even those with flagrant U2 bashing... the threads I was referring to were those in LS... I question those types of decisions, but I don't question the positions of the mods... if they were gone you'd have pricks like me posting like crazy. Something I'm sure no one would appreciate.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:20 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

good lord people need to get over it already.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:37 PM   #20
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
there is a lot of contradiction here... when you say that "I'm free to dissociate myself from the group" that's fine... but by the same token, those who don't necessarily agree with something can "dissociate themselves from a thread"... ignore it. I know that ignoring here works really well. On the other hand I do agree with closing threads that may cause personal offense, like those pertaining to religion or politics... even those with flagrant U2 bashing... the threads I was referring to were those in LS... I question those types of decisions, but I don't question the positions of the mods... if they were gone you'd have pricks like me posting like crazy. Something I'm sure no one would appreciate.
all right. indeed, disassociating yourself from the group is fine. but you know, i'm just getting so sick and tired of people thinking the rest of interference should just ignore some thread. this is an open forum (well, at least to its members and to non-members to a lesser degree) where people can and should read any post you want.

but let me clarify. i don't necessarily mean post, sometimes restraint needs to be shown. for example, i don't like coldplay. if i see some coldplay thread going on in bang and clatter, i'm not going to read it, fume, and post about how much they suck.

however, this is a U2 forum. everyone's here on assumption we all have one common thread: being U2 fans. so there should be no "i hate U2" threads. criticism threads (like saying a certain album or song sucks) are different, but a flat-out dislike of U2 shows obviously the person was severely misled into what this forum was about, or is just being an annoying troll. i would never join a coldplay forum to make sure they all knew i hated coldplay!

to be honest with you, i'm not sure what LS threads you're referring to. since so few threads are closed here, and since i don't mod that, i don't have a good memory with the forum, and probably didn't even read the threads!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:46 PM   #21
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:14 AM
He's whining about that one cliquey thread of Elvis Presley's that I closed that was just singling people out. I even thought I was extremely reasonable and diplomatic in the closing post but no of course that's not good enough.

When people complain to me about certain threads, if I get more than one complaint, I need to make the decision to close the thread. cujo and others dont seem to understand this nor knows what goes on behind the scenes. They are quick to judge the actions of the moderators without knowing the entire story in most cases.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:56 PM   #22
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

oh. jesus. i wish people would privately contact whoever closed the thread (or one of the mods of the forum if no mod made a "i'm closing this thread" post) to find out the reasons why instead of accusing people of being evil dictators.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:08 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
I have nothing against the organization or moderation of the system, but there is a lot of contradiction here...
To me, what you just said there was a contradiction in itself. Kind of like saying "I like the mods, but I question each and every action they take." Asking us why we closed a thread is one thing, but posting another thread about why threads get closed is too much. There is no Interference handbook, and if there were it would basically state: post with common sense, decency, and accuracy. Things that go horrifically bad from those things tend to get closed. There are also expectations that go for each forum.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cleasai Some mods here even hate having to close threads... but sometimes they just gotta.
Good point. We don't go around with our fingers hovering over the "close" buttons. Often, leaving a thread open will cause as much uproar as closing one, but it still needs to be closed. More often, mods get PM's or reported post emails and that is why the thread is closed - not because we don't like it necessarily, but because other users don't like it.

It may look like we have different perogatives to people posting in the threads, but there is a lot that goes on before a thread closes, despite what people may think.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:44 AM   #24
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:14 AM
AdamsMango, regarding your specific point about the number of thread closures, broadly speaking there's 2 things that happen for a thread to be closed. It can be either or both of these. One, is the thread simply deteriorates to the stage where it wont get back on track and it is nothing more than hotly worded responses. Two, a few complaints have been made specifically about it. This is through either pm, email or 'report to moderator' function. Sometimes both of these will occur with a specific thread. If that's the case, closure is imminent. As it stands, personally I'd say about 50% of threads I close are not due to my own opinions, but because people have said they are offended/insulted/whatever. I may not like something, but will try to see if this is a broadly shared opinion in the thread. I think all mods here do try to not use their ability to close on things simply because they may not like it.
Closures are more in control of the vast majority of users here than people may realise. Understandably some of you may think we make all these decisions based on our own thoughts. It comes into it, sure. But a lot of the time, we are acting on others' behalf. I'd also like to note, that feedback about threads is not always behind the scenes. You only have to read some, to see how annoyed some are, or offended or whatever. If you see enough of that in a thread, its time to question its merit in remaining open.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:58 PM   #25
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:14 PM
hmm, I just close threads when I don't like the person who started it or when I'm just in a shitty mood

angie's approach doesn't sound too bad either though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:10 PM   #26
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:14 PM

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:32 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

salami

Old 04-07-2003, 07:38 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

All the threads the mods closed, there was good reason and they did the right thing. Would anyone want U2 to come here and read some of the rude bullshit some people, or trolls post and think we, their fans agree with it? There is NO purpose for a thread to continue when it's only a pile of garbage with people dumping on the band, and each other!