Internet troll (for Mods/and the member that begins with a J)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisedge

Fan & Taper
Internet troll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

An Internet troll is either a person who sends messages on the Internet hoping to entice other users into angry or fruitless responses, or a message sent with such content. The term derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" and ultimately from trolling for fish; it first appeared on Usenet. The term is frequently abused to slander opponents in heated debates and is frequently misapplied to those who are ignorant of etiquette. Trolls generally send messages for the sole purpose of evoking a response, and will not respond to direct questioning.

Trolling is often described as an online version of the breaching experiment, where social boundaries and rules of etiquette are broken. Self-proclaimed trolls often style themselves as Devil's Advocates or gadflies or culture jammers, challenging the dominant discourse and assumptions of the forum they are trolling in an attempt to subvert and introduce different ways of thinking. Detractors who value etiquette claim that true Devil's Advocates generally identify themselves as such for the sake of etiquette, whereas trolls often consider etiquette to be something worth trolling in order to fight groupthink.

Trolls are sometimes caricatured as socially inept. This is often due to the fundamental attribution error, as it is impossible to know the real traits of an individual solely from their online discourse. Indeed, since intentional trolls are alleged to knowingly flout social boundaries, it is difficult to typecast them as socially inept since they have arguably proven adept at their goal.

There is a particular member of this board that is a troll. Posts knowing they are just posting to get a rise out of everyone. Mods dismiss it as "As long as they aren't insulting anyone, it's ok. I find it just as insulting as someone calling me a name.

Trolling should be a suspension-able offence. Just my thoughts.

Hi Chris,

Have you read or FAQ/Rules ? We cover trolling, and what causes someone to get banned. The 'issue' is being discussed.....

Joel

I understand that J.'s posts irritate a lot of people here but I would not agree that he is a troll. That's my poundsworth on the subject anyway.

i think something like this would've been better off being sent as a private message to elvis and/or the super mods, not posted publicly. i'm not a big fan of "i'm calling you out" threads. but that's just my opinion as a member of interference, not as a mod.

Piss off mate, leave jick alone.

He may irritate you but he's not a troll. Trolls don't stick around for years at a time on a single board.

a troll is someone who posts messages that even they dont believe to be true in order to rile people up

it seems pretty much every thread jick starts falls under this definition

unless he truly believes the things he posts, and i guess only he knows that

KhanadaRhodes said:
i think something like this would've been better off being sent as a private message to elvis and/or the super mods, not posted publicly. i'm not a big fan of "i'm calling you out" threads. but that's just my opinion as a member of interference, not as a mod.

Maybe, but it's clear he has an agenda. Posting comments that are designed to get a response, with little posting after that. I agree that it could have been emailed/PM'ed.

DaveC said:
Piss off mate, leave jick alone.

He may irritate you but he's not a troll. Trolls don't stick around for years at a time on a single board.

Sure they do, if they aren't banned or stopped.

From the FAQ: What do I have to do wrong to get banned from the forum?

There are many reasons why you may be removed from the forum. If you register on this forum solely to say negative things about U2 or other members of the forum, you will be immediately banned.

If you register on this forum solely to advertise your website or sell merchandise, you will be warned and may be ultimately banned.

If you have been warned by the administrators on more than one occasion to not personally attack other members of the forum, or for any other reasons, and do not agree to comply, you may be banned.

If you were previously banned from this forum and attempt to register or post again, you will be immediately banned.

If you personally attack a moderator or administrator in a harsh manner, you may be banned immediately.

If you are trolling the forums you may be banned.

Trolling: Intentionally disrupting a forum by posting obviously inaccurate or inflammatory information and/or hoping to get a rise out of people. The perpetrators are known as "trolls".

Premium Membership subscriptions will not be refunded if you are banned.

Surely his posts fit the definition of trolling. Just cause he's been doing it forever, doesn't mean anything.

I also realize that his posts are often that "Devil's Advocate" type posts as well, which normally would be a discussion point. However he usually never responds (see definition) and it's clear he's doing it from a "get a rise out of people" perspective. See past avatars, posts, etc...

icelle said:
yeah, im not a fan of his posts...

Same here. Sometimes he raises valid points, but 90% of the time it seems like he wants to create an uproar. It's almost like "post and runs..." He'll start a thread, saying things to piss people off and then he won't post again (with the exception of vague replies which don't make a lot of sense).

If he genuinely wants to discuss something, why doesn't he do it? He just leaves the threads after he starts them, and then they get closed. It's also hard to take his few "positive" posts seriously when he's still sporting an evil-greedy-mustache-Bono avatar with dollar signs.

I just don't get it. I'm sorry. :(

If you have been warned by the administrators on more than one occasion to not personally attack other members of the forum, or for any other reasons, and do not agree to comply, you may be banned.

You know all the people who post in his threads simply to attack him and are cautioned by the mods to take it easy should all be courting banning too if you want to read the rules that way. Take a look at his threads -- there are always several people who post in his threads merely to tell him to "fuck off" or call him something rude and offer absolutely nothing of merit to the discussion at all. Plus if you do read through his threads discussion can take place and some people do, but many would rather simply attack the thread starter than engage their brains and refute what he says. What I notice is that if you ignore all the people attacking him and read through the posts that discuss the points he brings up, the discussions are interesting.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you indra.

I don't read most of jick's posts, but he does make some good points. Only, many here are so blinded by fandom they take offence to some spiced up statements jick is making to get his threads noticed that they refuse to read the message of his posts.

But while we're on the subject of banning people, can we then also please ban all those who haven't got a single clue about grammar, spelling and punctuation? And those who, as noted above, have no sense of reality? And while we're at it, please also ban all those racists and homophobes that frequent FYM.

Thank you.
:wink:

Marty

Popmartijn said:
But while we're on the subject of banning people, can we then also please ban all those who haven't got a single clue about grammar, spelling and punctuation? And those who, as noted above, have no sense of reality? And while we're at it, please also ban all those racists and homophobes that frequent FYM.

Thank you.
:wink:

Thank you, Marty.

Cheers,
P.

:up:

i would have to agree with indra.

most of the time i find myself much more shocked by jick's attackers, and what they are allowed to get away with, than i have ever been by one of his posts.

Trolls are trying to get a response. Both sides are to blame, Jick and the people that call him names. That is the whole point of being a troll.

Many people post here to get a response.
Some try to post a topic to get to a discussion and those posts are ignored.
Jick posts to discuss a topic and spices it up so it does get discussed. At least people are thinking and talking about it...

:shrug:

Exactly.

Everyone may not agree with his posts and I don't think he always believes what he posts, either. But, many times they are thought provoking and around here, that will usually cause some controversy.

If you dislike his posts so much, there is a little box that says "Thread Starter". If you see Jick's name there, don't read it.

Chrisedge said:
Trolls are trying to get a response. Both sides are to blame, Jick and the people that call him names. That is the whole point of being a troll.

then where is your thread suggesting that they be banned as well?

We have reprimanded the people that tell him to 'fuck off' countless times as well.. and to be honest jick doesnt really care if people tell him to fuck off. I stuck up for him once and he was almost mad that I did :huh: So I said fine, I wont defend you anymore.

And we HAVE told people sooo many times if you dont like his threads DONT EVEN OPEN THEM. Put him on ignore, just move on to something else. There is almost always a post from a mod in his threads that say this. They dont listen.

Sicy said:
And we HAVE told people sooo many times if you dont like his threads DONT EVEN OPEN THEM. Put him on ignore, just move on to something else.

exactly. that was my point, which i didn't make very well. :wink:

it takes two to start an argument.

bonosgirl84 said:

then where is your thread suggesting that they be banned as well?

Fix the problem, then those fools won't have a reason to post anything nasty.

I never came out and said ban the dude either. It's something that should be controlled though. And any truely personal attacks (telling someone to f' off, etc...) they should be banned.

i really dont have a problem with jick, i pretty much just laugh at all of his threads and the people he riles up, i cant believe people still take him seriously

but if he is constantly posting things that he doesnt believe to be true, isnt that against forum rules? sure it can be good to play devils advocate to generate discussion every once in a while, but if you do it for pretty much every thread you start, then it just becomes nonsense.

and people who say jicks threads create good discussions, come on now, most of his threads contain him posting a long winded ridiculous complaint about the band and then 200 replies telling him he is wrong. that doesnt seem like a great discussion to me.

Was this thread started mainly to see how much public support there is on this? I'd assume so as most people here will never see the inside of the mod forum or just how involved some of the work is, done by the mods to ensure this place runs smoothly. Perhaps it is because of that which adds to my personal dislike of things like this when it's about a particular person, becomes so public. It isn't necessary. You will always have a willing ear if you approach this in a quiet manner with any mod or admin on here.

Dont get me wrong chrisedge, while I do disagree with your points on this member, your right to voice them is as applicable as any, but it should be done in the right manner - not publically.

:slant:

So it's OK to continue to troll, but not ok to publically complain about it?

No one can defend J's posting style. It is clearly trolling. I run several message boards and I know how tough it is. I just feel/felt that his posts have just become "accepted" since that's "the way he is".

Mods feel free to do with the member as you choose. You can lock this thread too if you want.

Sicy said:
We have reprimanded the people that tell him to 'fuck off' countless times as well.. and to be honest jick doesnt really care if people tell him to fuck off. I stuck up for him once and he was almost mad that I did :huh: So I said fine, I wont defend you anymore.

And we HAVE told people sooo many times if you dont like his threads DONT EVEN OPEN THEM. Put him on ignore, just move on to something else. There is almost always a post from a mod in his threads that say this. They dont listen.

It was never my intention to imply that you or any of the mods did otherwise and I apologise for any slight.

The mods have been discussing this issue. And for the record, this is not the first time. Like Angie said .. no one knows what goes on between the mods and members in private so to assume that we just let certain members 'get away with stuff' wouldnt be correct.

I dont really feel like this thread needs to remain open so if anyone has other concerns they are more than welcome to contact the mods or admins in private.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom