Internet troll (for Mods/and the member that begins with a J) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
Fan & Taper

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Internet troll (for Mods/and the member that begins with a J)

Internet troll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

An Internet troll is either a person who sends messages on the Internet hoping to entice other users into angry or fruitless responses, or a message sent with such content. The term derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" and ultimately from trolling for fish; it first appeared on Usenet. The term is frequently abused to slander opponents in heated debates and is frequently misapplied to those who are ignorant of etiquette. Trolls generally send messages for the sole purpose of evoking a response, and will not respond to direct questioning.

Trolling is often described as an online version of the breaching experiment, where social boundaries and rules of etiquette are broken. Self-proclaimed trolls often style themselves as Devil's Advocates or gadflies or culture jammers, challenging the dominant discourse and assumptions of the forum they are trolling in an attempt to subvert and introduce different ways of thinking. Detractors who value etiquette claim that true Devil's Advocates generally identify themselves as such for the sake of etiquette, whereas trolls often consider etiquette to be something worth trolling in order to fight groupthink.

Trolls are sometimes caricatured as socially inept. This is often due to the fundamental attribution error, as it is impossible to know the real traits of an individual solely from their online discourse. Indeed, since intentional trolls are alleged to knowingly flout social boundaries, it is difficult to typecast them as socially inept since they have arguably proven adept at their goal.

There is a particular member of this board that is a troll. Posts knowing they are just posting to get a rise out of everyone. Mods dismiss it as "As long as they aren't insulting anyone, it's ok. I find it just as insulting as someone calling me a name.

Trolling should be a suspension-able offence. Just my thoughts.

Old 04-11-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Creator of the Blue Crack

Hi Chris,

Have you read or FAQ/Rules ? We cover trolling, and what causes someone to get banned. The 'issue' is being discussed.....

Joel

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:56 PM
I understand that J.'s posts irritate a lot of people here but I would not agree that he is a troll. That's my poundsworth on the subject anyway.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:56 PM
i think something like this would've been better off being sent as a private message to elvis and/or the super mods, not posted publicly. i'm not a big fan of "i'm calling you out" threads. but that's just my opinion as a member of interference, not as a mod.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:56 PM
Piss off mate, leave jick alone.

He may irritate you but he's not a troll. Trolls don't stick around for years at a time on a single board.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:56 PM
a troll is someone who posts messages that even they dont believe to be true in order to rile people up

it seems pretty much every thread jick starts falls under this definition

unless he truly believes the things he posts, and i guess only he knows that
Old 04-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
Fan & Taper

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
i think something like this would've been better off being sent as a private message to elvis and/or the super mods, not posted publicly. i'm not a big fan of "i'm calling you out" threads. but that's just my opinion as a member of interference, not as a mod.
Maybe, but it's clear he has an agenda. Posting comments that are designed to get a response, with little posting after that. I agree that it could have been emailed/PM'ed.

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Piss off mate, leave jick alone.

He may irritate you but he's not a troll. Trolls don't stick around for years at a time on a single board.
Sure they do, if they aren't banned or stopped.

Quote:
From the FAQ: What do I have to do wrong to get banned from the forum?

There are many reasons why you may be removed from the forum. If you register on this forum solely to say negative things about U2 or other members of the forum, you will be immediately banned.

If you register on this forum solely to advertise your website or sell merchandise, you will be warned and may be ultimately banned.

If you have been warned by the administrators on more than one occasion to not personally attack other members of the forum, or for any other reasons, and do not agree to comply, you may be banned.

If you were previously banned from this forum and attempt to register or post again, you will be immediately banned.

If you personally attack a moderator or administrator in a harsh manner, you may be banned immediately.

If you are trolling the forums you may be banned.

Trolling: Intentionally disrupting a forum by posting obviously inaccurate or inflammatory information and/or hoping to get a rise out of people. The perpetrators are known as "trolls".

Premium Membership subscriptions will not be refunded if you are banned.
Surely his posts fit the definition of trolling. Just cause he's been doing it forever, doesn't mean anything.

I also realize that his posts are often that "Devil's Advocate" type posts as well, which normally would be a discussion point. However he usually never responds (see definition) and it's clear he's doing it from a "get a rise out of people" perspective. See past avatars, posts, etc...
Old 04-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
Fan & Taper

Double Post
Old 04-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:56 PM
yeah, im not a fan of his posts...
Old 04-12-2005, 12:26 AM   #11
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by icelle
yeah, im not a fan of his posts...
Same here. Sometimes he raises valid points, but 90% of the time it seems like he wants to create an uproar. It's almost like "post and runs..." He'll start a thread, saying things to piss people off and then he won't post again (with the exception of vague replies which don't make a lot of sense).

If he genuinely wants to discuss something, why doesn't he do it? He just leaves the threads after he starts them, and then they get closed. It's also hard to take his few "positive" posts seriously when he's still sporting an evil-greedy-mustache-Bono avatar with dollar signs.

I just don't get it. I'm sorry.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:33 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
If you have been warned by the administrators on more than one occasion to not personally attack other members of the forum, or for any other reasons, and do not agree to comply, you may be banned.
You know all the people who post in his threads simply to attack him and are cautioned by the mods to take it easy should all be courting banning too if you want to read the rules that way. Take a look at his threads -- there are always several people who post in his threads merely to tell him to "fuck off" or call him something rude and offer absolutely nothing of merit to the discussion at all. Plus if you do read through his threads discussion can take place and some people do, but many would rather simply attack the thread starter than engage their brains and refute what he says. What I notice is that if you ignore all the people attacking him and read through the posts that discuss the points he brings up, the discussions are interesting.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:34 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

I totally agree with you indra.

I don't read most of jick's posts, but he does make some good points. Only, many here are so blinded by fandom they take offence to some spiced up statements jick is making to get his threads noticed that they refuse to read the message of his posts.

But while we're on the subject of banning people, can we then also please ban all those who haven't got a single clue about grammar, spelling and punctuation? And those who, as noted above, have no sense of reality? And while we're at it, please also ban all those racists and homophobes that frequent FYM.

Thank you.

Marty
Old 04-12-2005, 05:37 AM   #14
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
But while we're on the subject of banning people, can we then also please ban all those who haven't got a single clue about grammar, spelling and punctuation? And those who, as noted above, have no sense of reality? And while we're at it, please also ban all those racists and homophobes that frequent FYM.

Thank you.

Thank you, Marty.

Cheers,
P.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:43 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Did I forget anyone?

And since you're a mod, can you do something about it?

Marty