Interference Plebiscite: Abdicate or Mediate - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:03 PM
Well, as an "old" fan and a person who posted in the U2 newsgroups in '93/'94 (do a search for "Ciao John" and you'll find me! LOL!), I can say that I am TREMENDOUSLY impressed by what Joel and all of the admins, mods and staff have done here in recent months. I think more members need time away from the "blue crack" to see how much better it is now!! Sometimes when you are involved in the change, you don't see it. But I was away for a year, and I can see how hard you all have worked. I don't just mean getting The Edge to post as himself, but with the forums, news, moderating, etc.

So I congratulate you all on your efforts. Well done!

And while I fully recognize that credibility will always be an issue (especially over something as big as having U2 members post here), as a long time poster in the U2 world, I can smell a fake - this ain't it. As far as I'm concerned, it's about frickin' time Edge posted as himself.

Therefore, don't be sad. Hold your heads up high. You deserve it.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:08 PM   #77
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Does this mean we won't be getting the DNA testing done?

Old 10-06-2004, 02:22 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, that should always be done. I mean, we need Edge's DNA for all sorts of reasons.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:53 PM   #79
Creator of the Blue Crack

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

If Principle knows about the site, why didn't they do anything with the 30 second MP3s from ATYCLB that were taken off the official site, or the Spain "Dismantle" MP3s with parts of 4 new songs?

Things have changed in the last four years, and with the recent leaks... several u2 fan sites have been closed/shutdown or had to move to another host. There was much legal action (or threats) in the last few weeks. Just because you don't hear about everything, doesn't mean it's not happening. The RIAA does 'patrol' forums like this one, thats how they find out about the leaks. Don't assume so much.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

1) The thing I can't get is, WHY would they contact you guys for help setting up accounts?

2) WHY would they let you know who they are, and their usernames?

3) Wouldn't it be better to just remain anonymous?

4) Is there really that much interaction with management?

5) Do they really take the opinions of a few hundred or so U2 fans out of millions seriously?

6) And, if they've been here watching and posting all along and you knew it, WHY didn't you tell us before now so we could be on better behavior?

I've numbered your questions.. and here are my replies, and forgive my bluntness, but I'm going to be blunt... lol:

1) Some have needed help, or have asked questions on how to use things or even needed to be given full access (ie. becoming Premium).

2) See above.

3) They are to everyone but myself and a FEW staff members.

4) Whether the answer is Yes or No, I'm really not at liberty to say, nor would I want to discuss this in public.. not the place.

5) I can't answer, I'm not them.

6) Their privacy, and really... it's no one's business. I dont go and tell everyone what each person's REAL NAME is just because I know it, do I?
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #81
She's the One

The doubters are really beating a dead horse, ain't they?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:16 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
The doubters are really beating a dead horse, ain't they?
I think it's admirable that the thread has gone this far and not degraded into an uncivilized argument. But at the same time like you say martha, the maintained discussion, which has been mostly repetitive, has served to further entrench both perspectives. I have to give credit to the administrative and moderating staff for leaving this topic open, and maintaining composure in posting.

In terms of marginalizing the staff by underestimating their commitment or dedicated ethic, I don't think that element itself has been challenged. If respect is to be had between members and managers, specifics have to be established at some point in order to foster a forum of free and clear exchange. It's only fair to expect reciprocal treatment based on that scenario. So, when a series of vague events requests some compromising of information (in the sense of lack of detail and source), it's natural for membership to take exception to it. That's not an attack on integrity, that's an expression of curious frustration. In regards to this thread, the discussion wasn't meant to be exclusive to the Edge's validity, that's just one among many points of contention. Why this issue has taken such precedence on a fan site... who knows.

Doctorwho and Elvis both raised the point that member/manager relations had drastically improved in the last few months, and in terms of attitude I would agree. However, the disparity in relations doesn't stem from treatment; it stems from the lack of direct and clear address. Maybe the increasing size of the forum has perpetuated the vagueness and challenges in policy... based on the small sampling in this thread it is obviously a relevant issue.

Some people may be beating the hell out of a dead horse, and maybe that's the wrong approach. Regardless (there, satisfied? ) of that point, the fact that this conversation is persisting implies that there are lingering issues, and that there are avenues that need to be resolved. Whether that is possible I'm not sure, but I do know that nothing productive will emerge by simply dismissing conversation because of a lack of common ground between the various perspectives. The root of each problem (cited in my original post) relates to a lack of precision in the delivery of information, not in the lack of dedication or integrity of the individuals. Someone may know everything there is to know about a situation, but unless they can effectively communicate this information to others, that knowledge loses relevance.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:58 PM   #83

Cujo,

I really don't mean to be rude... but has anyone ever told you that you're incredibly long winded, and erm... repetitive?

At this point, some people are going to need to settle with not knowing everything. I'm really uncomfortable telling people what color my boxers are.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
I really don't mean to be rude... but has anyone ever told you that you're incredibly long winded, and erm... repetitive?
Now don't take this the wrong way or anything,

but I find that method to be quite effective for those who have difficulty getting points the first time around.

Besides, it would be quite hypocritical of me to write a short post, risking vagueness, which is the very thing I'm accusing you of...
Old 10-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

As well, I have to commend you on attempting to devalue my post and its content by criticizing its style. It's a nice way of not having to reply with any sort of substance or candor.

again.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #86
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by cujo

Regardless (there, satisfied? )
Very.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #87
She's the One

cujo, I was thinking as I was reading the new posts in this thread, that this is one of the reasons I love this place: the fact that so many people care so deeply about what happens to this community. We need to talk out our differences and come to consensus.

With my comment about the dead horse being beaten, I meant that we've been told repeatedly, again and again, over and over, that we are not going to be given any new information. Why keep asking then?

There remain only two choices: 1. Stop asking and think it's a lie. 2. Stop asking and decide it's the truth.

By continously asking, offering "evidence," listing reasons and suspicions, and questioning either the integrity of the admins or the gullibility of the admins, an undercurrent of mistrust and doubt runs through an otherwise fine and wonderful place. It's counterproductive and, honestly, annoying as hell.

The doubters need to get over it and talk amongst themselves. Browbeating the admins isn't going to result in any new information, it's just going to piss people off. And while I do understand that questioning and wondering make for a free and open society, in this case it's redundant and petty.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:21 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
As well, I have to commend you on attempting to devalue my post and its content by criticizing its style. It's a nice way of not having to reply with any sort of substance or candor.

again.

Cujo,

Not everything is the public's business. Not everything is even shared with every member of the staff.... somethings are on a 'need to know' basis...

Regardless, I know your tactic... keep saying the same thing, over and over, and try to grind someone down until you get whatever it is you want.

Again, various members of the staff have now said just about as much as they can say about certain issues.... as have I.

I'm going to ask that instead of your 'stir the shit' method of intentionally posting in the wrong place with this sort of thing, that from now on you address your concerns a bit more specifically and in this forum and/or to my email.

Why more specifically? Simple, myself and the staff are trying to run this place and to do so we simply dont have time for wild fishing expeditions. I'd be more than happy, as I'm sure other staff would agree, to address your specific questions - if possible.

If you have a problem with abiding with this request, and continue 'fishing' like this... I personally will not be replying, nor will I encourage the staff to.

Regards,

Joel
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:22 PM   #89

Martha... I love you...
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:31 PM   #90
War Child

Local Time: 10:03 PM
I dont have a problem with addressing questions.. but I have to agree this has been more of a fishing expedition in nature..

I'd still like a pony...