Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
irregardless

Old 10-06-2004, 06:56 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:31 AM
It's a word... slang and informal. Sometimes it works well within the rhythm of a sentence.

Now, I may not be a big city lawyer, but I do believe we're not operating within the context of a grammar rodeo.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:57 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Re: Re: Interference Plebiscite: Abdicate or Mediate

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

If anything Cujo, member-administration relations and diplomacy has imporved throughout the years. In the last year, I would say the forum has been the most peaceful, and welcoming, hence the growth. Intererence is not a govt of elected officials, nor are it's staff public servants. Many people often voice their concern in this forum, the suggestion forum, as well as privately to myself, and admins/mods, and we try to be accomodating as much as possible. By all means, we want to offer the community wants what the community calls for.
Well said Joel.

In 2002 I was also a mod. But I had a disagreement with several other mods, including Joel, and I left Interference for quite some time. I kept tabs on this site, but didn't participate.

However, in the last 6 months or so, I noticed a tremendous improvement in how Interference is run. In the past, some mods actually caused more problems than they resolved. This is no longer true. Mods are considerate and respectful. And I think Joel is to credit for this.

Will there be disagreements? Of course - it's human nature. It's unfortunate that Salome and Angela Harlem are no longer mods (as of this moment). I always felt that Salome was the perfect moderator. But sometimes being a mod does cause problems. There are disagreements. In my case, I left Interference for over a year. That year off really helped as it left me with more clarity and maturity. In other words, sometimes it's good to get away from the "blue crack" for a while.

This current disagreement aside, I have found this site to be tremendously improved and I compliment Joel and ALL of the mods on a job well done. It's tough dealing with so many strong personalities. One has to admit - U2 fans are very passionate.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:00 AM   #64
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:31 PM
Wow, it really is nice to have you back.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:18 AM   #65
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

I understand that some of this may seem hard to believe, but please let me know when someone gets through to Principle about Larry's laundry schedule or when Bono typically makes it to the post office.

I'll get right on it

neutral @ interference.com
Old 10-06-2004, 08:28 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Quote:
Wow, it really is nice to have you back.

Why thanks! And it's great to see the brilliant job you've all been doing to Interference. Of course, I don't envy your job at all.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

Welcome back!

Old 10-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Normal

Quote:

With all due respect, this statement is pretty ludicrous. Could you imagine calling Principle and asking them to confirm, for example, that Bono likes to go to the supermarket around 3:00 on Tuesdays? They would, I'm sure, say that they do not discuss the band members' personal schedules with casual inquirers. Surely they would know that while the Edge has chosen to reveal himself, the other members who may (or may not) post here and the members of management who may (or may not) post here are entitled to a measure of privacy and anonymity until they choose not to exercise it (as Edge has).

Certainly one of the best arguments for the authenticity of Edge and anyone else who may crawl out of the blue woodwork is that nothing has happened to Interland! Surely, if the interview or Ask the Edge or anything was fake, we would have been threatened with legal action! Faking something like this is very very serious, and the RIAA and management would surely take it as such. Obviously, since this site is still standing and in fact flourishing, no one has a problem with what we've posted...because it is not, in fact, fake.

I understand that some of this may seem hard to believe, but please let me know when someone gets through to Principle about Larry's laundry schedule or when Bono typically makes it to the post office.
With all due respect I think you misunderstood what I'm saying.

Going to the market or doing the laundry or going to the post office - har har - in PRIVATE is not the same as going on a PUBLIC forum on one of the biggest fan sites (hardly a casual inquirer, not like it's some random fan asking around) - and if we get an interview I find it odd that getting something like an email would be that much of a trouble.

As for anything not happening, what exactly is the law and official punishment if a fake "Edge" would be posting?
(you think this or any other forum never had anyone using the names of the band members?)
The band would go after music leaks more than anything else. (RIAA? I thought they were after pirats and downloading, and not running around on fan forums)
Since we're on topic of official, would it not make sense band member(s) would post on Zootopia, the official forum?

Katey: I'm not saying I don't believe that it is him, I'm just saying with all the rumors flying around it's hard to know what to think. If the authorities in this forum claim it is Edge posting, I think authorities could provide the proof as well, especially since some members were/are not convinced. Last but not least, is asking questions not allowed, especially with high profiled events like this and the interview?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:13 AM   #69
War Child

Quote:
Katey: I'm not saying I don't believe that it is him, I'm just saying with all the rumors flying around it's hard to know what to think. If the authorities in this forum claim it is Edge posting, I think authorities could provide the proof as well, especially since some members were/are not convinced. Last but not least, is asking questions not allowed, especially with high profiled events like this and the interview?
Look to question is absolutely allowed and like I said..I understand really I do... As it is I hold the majority of answers your looking for and have said all I can..I will stick my neck for the credibility of this being Edge,it's not something I take lightly. Some members will simply never be convinced and thats okay, we will continue on and do our best to bring you the features we do interviews included, we have amazing writers a great team here and a fantastic forum with great Mods and I give them all the credit for making this site great and I am sure they are a big part of the reason Edge is here as well as you guys the members here . They do tremendous work and it's tough when people want to to question sometimes, it's not easy to get the interviews they do and we knew full well there would be questions of people when this interview came around..it was to be expected..but the content of the interview and the shier fact we had this opportunity to bring it to Interference far outweighed any of that and makes everything 100 times more then worth while ... all I can say is we do the best we can and we hope you guys like it.... I dont think it's fair at all for any of us to expect Edge to prove himself so if thats the proof your looking for I 'm afraid it may not come..other then that I dont know what your looking for
Old 10-06-2004, 11:29 AM   #70
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

It's certainly fine to have a healthy sense of doubt, as Katey said. We don't want a bunch of lemmings here.

But, U2girl, what I meant is that going to the market or what have you is, in fact, a public activity, no less than posting on an Internet forum. The band members don't have their own little villages in their backyards. I think it is possible, then, to draw an analogy between what you're asking Principle (or someone, I guess) to do and what is happening here.

In answer to your questions of what would happen: Principle/the band obviously knows Interference exists. We are a very high-profile site, even without any contacts within the band, just because of the sheer amount of traffic we get. In terms of actual *legal* troubles, I admit ignorance because I am not a lawyer, and in rethinking, you may be right that the RIAA wouldn't have much to do with something like this. But the band itself, and management, certainly would.

How do I know this? Well, think of the old days on ff.net (if you're familiar). Remember the endless, elaborate disclaimers on the fanfics? "This is fake, I don't know the band, etc. etc. etc."? Those disclaimers were there in case someone charged that the works were misrepresenting the individuals. Because even if there is no criminal penalty, I do believe one could be sued in court for those kinds of things. It's the same reason why, for example, we have a rule against promoting unlicensed merchandise for sale on Interference. We cannot interfere with the rights of the management and the band to represent U2 only as they see fit.

So the argument, in a nutshell, is this:

Principle/U2 know we exist.
Because they know we exist, they can find us.
Because they can find us, it is reasonable to assume that they check us out on a regular basis.
Because they check us out, they would have seen the interview, Ask the Edge, et al.
Because they have seen these things, we can assume that they are legit and true.
Because if they were NOT legit and true, they would have been challenged by now, and Interference *could* have been threatened with legal action to remove them.

Everything is still here.

Elvis has not changed his approach to the issues.

Thus, you can be reasonably sure that everything is real, and that we cannot, for various reasons, offer much in the way of verification beyond what has already been presented.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:44 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

It is not the same, since there is no computer or username or alter or whatever for a celebrity to use in a public place. And on the internet, on the other hand, there are no fans waiting, following you, talking to you, calling your name, giving you things to sign etc...

(I think their wives/girlfriend probably do the shopping/laundry/errands anyway. Also Bono has said many times people in Dublin are nice to them and treat them as normal people)

I have seen a person with username Bono posting during the time I've been here (either forum or chat), and I don't recall anyone saying much about it. I mean, being fake and all.

Unlicensed merchandise is different, probably illegal even to sell/promote anything without official permission of the management/label/band. (fanfic is still around, even now - as far as I know the only limit is it doesn't get too graphic)

If Principle knows about the site, why didn't they do anything with the 30 second MP3s from ATYCLB that were taken off the official site, or the Spain "Dismantle" MP3s with parts of 4 new songs?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:00 PM   #72
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I couldn't tell you why certain decisions were made. Again, I have limited knowledge of the legal system, but enough to know that especially since this site is right under the nose of the people making decisions about U2, we would open ourselves up to great liability if anything here was fake.

Even if "official U2" didn't know about us before--which they did--they certainly would know now! I would bet anything that news of what we have going here has turned up on Zootopia, for example. (I wouldn't know because I don't really read Zootopia.) And certainly THAT would have drawn the attention of U2.

Look, I see what you mean, I really do. We're not trying to pull a fast one on anyone. It's hard to believe that *The Edge* or anyone similar would actually want to mess around with the blue crack (hard stuff that it is, LOL). But we have very good reasons for telling all of you that what we have going on is the real thing, and I think that Elvis and Katey and I and others have tried to explicate those reasons.

At this point, I believe I have tried my best to make Interference's case. But you have no more proof--in fact, with all due respect, you have less--than we do that Edge or the interview or what have you is not real. You are free to believe as you choose, and no one will kick you out of here if you choose not to believe that the contacts with and appearances by the band are legitimate. But, speaking only for me, I would hope that you would at least acknowledge that we've made a good case and have tried to be as open and forthcoming as possible without overstepping the bounds of common decency.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:01 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

This makes me so sad, I can't begin to tell you guys. So so sad. I'm sad for the fact that some of you think we are lying, and I'm sad for the fact that some of you honestly think we haven't done our homework and that we are all being duped and taking things at face value without checking things out.

I'm sad that I've worked so hard for this site, organized so many good things here - and now our credibility is on the line for something really great that is happening around here.

I just don't even know what to do or say anymore.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
On a side note, I will expand and say that there are quite a few 'official' folks as both members, readers, and posters here at Interference.... a good deal of them I know about, and have known about... some I have even helped personally with setting up their accounts, understanding how to use the forum, research, and yes even somethings pertaining to legal matters. For more than obvious reasons I can not tell you whom these people are, what they read, or what their usernames are, or even their intent for being here. From the ones which have communicated with personally with myself or other staff, they seem to enjoy the site, and some even check it daily... some even for their source of U2 news, and some for their own personal PELBA fix... yes you heard me right. In many situations a great deal of the staff is not even aware of who these members are, and again for obvious reasons - they also are entitled to their privacy just like you or I. If you are not satisfied by me saying this, that's unfortunate. I do not feel that these are things I should be required to explain, nor am I even truly comfortable with saying what I just have. I feel like by even alluding to the fact that these folks are around, I have in somewhat walked a very fine line between the fan world and the official world - both I may add that I have had a hand in, in one form or another over the last four plus years. Again, with that comment, there is not much more I'm willing to go into detail about in a public setting...
The thing I can't get is, WHY would they contact you guys for help setting up accounts? I mean, most 7 year olds could set up an account here. The other thing is, WHY would they let you know who they are, and their usernames? Wouldn't it be better to just remain anonymous? I know I would want it that way. Is there really that much interaction with management? Do they really take the opinions of a few hundred or so U2 fans out of millions seriously? And, if they've been here watching and posting all along and you knew it, WHY didn't you tell us before now so we could be on better behavior? (This has nothing to do with Edge being real or not, just this one post)
Old 10-06-2004, 12:50 PM   #75
War Child

There comes a time to just be silent however..I just kind of don't want this team to feel bad.. and I don't want the members to get the wrong impression...

it doesnt make me sad ..it does make me tired,there is just alot of behind the scenes stuff that for legitimate reasons never come to the light and there are very important reasons for keeping those things behind the scenes..non of them have to do with trying to pull one over on anyone..they do have something to do with cultivating relationships and respecting indivduals we are working with and taking all these pieces of the puzzle trying to make the best decisions we can..If becasue of that it means we take hits such as we have it's understandable and I can appreciate that ..But at somepoint you just have to get that nothing is going to come of the constant questioning because we have given you all we can.. I respond here because it wears on the resolve of people who work on this site ..and I dont want that to effect what they do ..people I have a great deal of respect for the shier amount of time and effort they put into this..

I can't believe I am feeding this by continuing to respond .. but I wanted to say that..

On my part I am extremely grateful that Edge has come around here and will thank him again!! ohh and yes I like pony's ( thats for Liza lol..and the rest who get that inside joke)