Interference Plebiscite: Abdicate or Mediate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OzAurora said:
Hey Follower, so happy to hear from you. You dont seem to post as much anymore, good to see you again. Now please excuse my vagueness, but who is this Celia woman?? obviously someone to do with principal management, but what is her title. After reading what you had to say follower, I too am increasingly becoming a dis-believer.

Olá, thanks for your kind words garota. Yes, I haven´t posted here as I used to, I´m more of a lurker nowadays.

Cecilia is Larry´s sister. As far as I know she has been in charge of Propaganda for years. Don´t know what is her position at PM though.

MT

Last edited:
Well, if you actually wanted to be a mod, I think you'd need to have at least some familiarity with all the subforums, have a friendly and concerned persona on the forum, have a respect for authority and be conscious of the dangers of abusing power, and genuinely want to help members of the online U2 fan community. It probably helps to have been a regularly posting member here for a year or two and/or have some moderating experience (I had already been a mod elsewhere and had been hanging out here for about a year, I guess, when I became a mod.) Good background knowledge of U2 is probably also a plus. Being diplomatic is a necessity.

I think I covered almost everything...

Dammit, this thread made me question if this is really The Edge or not. Damn you people I was having so much fun with my naivety! :rant: By the way if that's not The Edge.... well, that fucking hurts and this place should be shut down. :( But I hope this is not the case.

PS: I still hope (and think) that that's The Edge and that he confirms it when the tour starts. :up:

Katey said:

Yes I had contact with the Edge, yes my credibility is on the line

That's right, so once again: When you had this "contact", what proof did you require, and what proof did you receive? What was the nature of this "contact"?

Let's try and keep this thread on track, please. I know people are trying to lighten the mood, and that's really very admirable--but I don't want to see the thread derailed into IO-style strings of smilies and cute remarks.

Thanks.

I just wanted to say one more thing....

I want to thank Elvis and the admins and mods for keeping this thread open.
I'm sure its hard to read all of this when a lot of it seems to be getting personal.

I just think its cool of you guys to allow us to express our views on this subject without shutting it down.

Thats all I have to say about that.

Thanks, U2StW.

It's very important to us that, at a time when people are variously upset, angry, hurt, and confused, we not take action that could be interpreted negatively.

For my part, I want to reassure everyone again (before I go to bed and have to go to work early tomorrow, so I may not be checking in for a while) that:

--No one will be censored/edited in this thread
--No bannings are happening based on anything said in this thread
--This thread will remain open as long as is necessary and will not be closed

(Of course, the above will be null and void if people start getting abusive/harassing, but that hasn't happened and I have no reason to think that it will.)

U2SavesTheWorld said:
I'm sure its hard to read all of this when a lot of it seems to be getting personal.
in a way it's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy though

when you have a thread like this around for a couple of days and there's no sign of any answers (and I still don't see the need to wait for any confirmation from anyone to state what was the reason behind your actions so far) then at some point people will get irritated

my god some of you people know how to moan!

25 pages of whining, its enough to kill anyone!
why not just enjoy yourself on the forum instead of picking on the site and the mods and the owners over and over and over again.
its boring and long-winded

i haven't been on the site for too long but i've been pretty active since i have started (ignore the low number of posts, i changed alters) but in the short and busy time i've been here i've never had a prob with any mods or elvis or any of the members for that matter and i think thats because i dont take it too seriously. not that i dont take my absolute love of the band seriously, thats never in question, but that i dont take every closed thread or every comment from a mod or another member as a personal attack as it seems some of you guys do.
i've had threads closed of mine which i perhaps disagreed with, but i didnt attack or question elvis or the forum openly for it because its not personal and hey, life goes on. i just forget about it and go find something else to talk about.
its surprisingly easy to do.

i also believe the work that the mods and owners of the site do to keep this place running is their own business and nobody in this site has the right to demand to know everything that goes on behind the scenes. i wouldnt walk up to my boss at work and demand to know exactly how the company is run behind closed doors and why. its none of my business and i feel the same applies here.

as a relative newbie to the site and a happy one at the that, i think the amount of accusation and criticism people throw at the forum and its supervisers to be insulting and is the only thing i dont like about this place. if anything i thought we would be grateful to the people who run this place that its actually even here in the first place and that they give up so much of their time to keep it up and, with the exception of threads like this, a great place to be.

surely it cant be too hard for you guys just to have fun and enjoy yourselves here?
if it IS that hard and you dislike it that much, you probably shouldnt be here then.

laurent24 said:
I can't believe I have just been reading 21 pages of nonsense. Let's call Sherlock Holmes to find out if The Edge is "The Edge". Instead of being grateful that a member of the biggest band in the world is taking the time to answer some of our questions we are discussing if he's really The Edge. What a joke. I hope the members of U2 are very busy with the rehearsels and have no time to read this nonsense because we all look extremely ridiculous. The moderators are doing a good job so let's get back to business.

No offense to any of the newbies that are posting... but I find it incredibly interesting that they're the only ones who are adamant that the dood posting is really the Edge and we should be putting our energy into writing to him. You know, be greatful that a member of the biggest band in the world has the time to come here and chat.

Dood... it ain't happenin'. I'm sorry you had to sludge through 21 pages worth of stuff to come to the conclusion that we're all wasting our time. But, we're not. I don't know how long you've been a member of this site, but lots of us posting here have been here for two years or more (three for me) and remember the first time this happened. So, please... don't tell us that we're wasting our time.

Moonie

I don't believe it's the Edge at all especially in the writing style and the interview i read, in fact i don't know how anybody could believe it's Edge. :huh:

But what really makes me know that it's not Edge is what someone here told me which is that they received some emails from Edge and in one of them he sent an mp3 of a U2 remix song but guess what it's not a real official U2 song it's a remix somebody at U2 Yahoo group created and i had that mp3 hosted in my webspace. So why would the Edge be telling someone about a remix that wasn't even a real official one but rather one that was put together by a guy like you and me a week earlier ?

Secondly, Dalkey Beach had also been in my webspace ;) (which tells me that fake Edge and this Dalkey person are the same) and during the Henry Rollins fiasco Dalkey asked me to send him an mp3 of Miracle Drug which i did and shortly after he 'stumbled' upon my other files (3) in my webspace which included included a song that was supposed to be a Vertigo cover that someone had created and then Dalkey said "what's this everyone" thinking he found a new U2 song.

That told me right away the Dalkey and The Edge impersonas were one and the same, but the posts from Edge are something a teenager would write like lashing out at Jick without follow through. Also that interview that i read is laughable at best to think it is Edge. Who gave this Edge person the "Real Official status" thing is what i'm wondering ??? and how did the interview get setup, for instance did the mods contact PM to setup this interview or did the mod in question just email 'Interference Edge' for this interview ?

It's sickening that there are people coming to the forums and being led to believe Edge is posting here if in fact he is not. :sad:

Last edited:
di_g said:
surely it cant be too hard for you guys just to have fun and enjoy yourselves here?
if it IS that hard and you dislike it that much, you probably shouldnt be here then.

No-one in here would question for a second the work and attention that Elvis, the mods etc put in here, and how grateful we all are for it. It really is a unique and fantastic site. That in itself probably explains the reaction to such a possible fraud. It is a great community, the strong reaction is a sign that people care about that and want it to remain the same, not have it tainted in such a way.

All anyone is asking is for confirmation one way or another in some shape or form. If it is The Edge, that's fantastic and Interference has, I guess, turned a new and exciting page. If it's not and we've been taken for a ride, Elvis included, that's really, really sad, but its a lesson learned for all and doubt there'll be any real long term effect. Elvis will obviously have to accept a short term backlash for not making the right checks etc, but I think Interference is stronger than that and will move on quickly. If the ride was created by the team here in anyway then that's different, but I think the chance of that being the case would be 0.0000001%.

It'll all be sorted in a short matter of time in either case.... Don't worry!

Doctor Who, with all due respect I haven't spoken to you since you were last banned from here so how you would think you have any clue of bias I have, is really beyond me.

I hate to be a real party pooper here in this little bitch fest, but my complaints regarding this matter of the last few weeks have had sweet fuck all to do with Elvis. Is this perfectly clear to everyone yet? Or will I need to clarify this yet another time in a few days? Yes I have issues with Joel, but they have arisen over the last week and are frankly no one's god damn business so please for the love of fuck stop assuming this is an emotional matter.

PS follower, I heard that same message from Cecilia, but I thought there was another one sent out after that. I know she was asked a few times by various folk and finally was able to send out a new one just recently? Plus, it is good to see you matie :)

I do think it's interesting that some seem to regard this thread as shit stirring based on emotional reasons

if there was any intention to drag Interference down in a deep pool of cow dung then it definitely wouldn't have been restricted to this thread
nor would it have been solely based on reasonable questions that effect a large portion of the members here

ThePuttKing said:
It is The Edge, no doubt.

He knows too much. I don't know why people don't just - "enjoy the moment".

There's just too many things he knows. For instance - Vertigo was FMJ / Native Son. How would anybody else know this ?

His description of songs is correct. LAPOE for example. How would anybody know how this song sounds. UNCUT mentions heavy metal guitars and this is how The Edge described the song -"An heavy mother" - And The Edge told us this a week before the Magazine came out.

The Edge said "FMJ married another track and their baby ended on the album".

In one of the magazine track by track reviews, Adam clearly says Native son/FMJ and Vertigo are in fact the same song, Bono and Edge only re-wrote it after they started working with Lillywhite.

So that's not really a proof, as those two statements contradict each other.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:

you're right, but i tend to look at it the opposite way that you do. u2.com is pretty quick to disspell rumours. how quick did they expose the solar and tickets hoaxes? but yet they've not said a thing about this on their site. don't you guys think they'd say something on the site? and so what if someone at pm has said no band members post online...how many times has a publicist dined a rumour only for it to be true? a publicist says "no britney and justin aren't on the rocks" then their brerak-up is announced days later.

i've tried to stay out of this thread and just read it, not posting anything. but members of the team here are getting yelled at and accused. i don't know how much more i'll post here since it's becoming more and more apparent that the doubters here are just wanting elvis to post that this whole thing was fake. i doubt some of you here really want this to be the edge.

OK, how do you explain Angela Harlem and U2Kitten and follower saying PM said Edge is NOT posting on any site and owner of atU2.com is saying Edge has not been posting on any site, and that U2.com staff wanted to originally put the disclaimer on the site regarding "The Edge" posts on Interference?

The silence on U2.com is odd either way.

Look, I'm sure all of us want to believe it's Edge. But some things about it just seem to point it may not be him. I haven't seen much yelling here and accusations made towards the mods - the pressure is more on Elvis, as I see it.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
PS follower, I heard that same message from Cecilia, but I thought there was another one sent out after that. I know she was asked a few times by various folk and finally was able to send out a new one just recently? Plus, it is good to see you matie :)

She took some time to answer me, and was not exactly talkative, as usual. I know nothing about another kind of response. Now you got me curious, maybe I´ll ask again.
And thank you, aussies are definitely warm folks, much like brazilians ;)

MT

U2girl said:

OK, how do you explain Angela Harlem and U2Kitten saying PM said Edge is NOT posting on any site, and that U2.com staff wanted to originally put the disclaimer on the site regarding "The Edge" posts on Interference?

The silence on U2.com is odd either way.

I was going to stay out of this thread after that last long speech I made. I thought it summed everything up. But, since it's been buried and no one read it anyway :sigh: :( I'm back.

When I said that, it was based on reports by news correspondants for atu2 who had posted that on both their site and wire. When Rashes posted it on wire, he used the the title 'That's not Edge.' Rashes is a news person and I have never seen him post anything that wasn't confirmed without a disclaimer. I believe him. It was said that PM were going to put something on U2.com but decided it may be better 'not to give the situation any more publcity'. As for Angela, until recently she was on the inside here, so I would say her opinion on this is most credible.

As for the silence of U2.com now, as I posted somewhere back there, I don't think PM would take any action against the band's largest online fan community on the eve of a new album and tour unless something libelous, incorrect, or damaging to the band was done. Other than the J post I don't see that has happened. It's been mostly chitchat. The 'info' 'Edge' posted could have been gotten from a source other than a direct band member.

Originally posted by moon_is_playing_tricks
No offense to any of the newbies that are posting... but I find it incredibly interesting that they're the only ones who are adamant that the dood posting is really the Edge and we should be putting our energy into writing to him. You know, be greatful that a member of the biggest band in the world has the time to come here and chat.

Dood... it ain't happenin'. I'm sorry you had to sludge through 21 pages worth of stuff to come to the conclusion that we're all wasting our time. But, we're not. I don't know how long you've been a member of this site, but lots of us posting here have been here for two years or more (three for me) and remember the first time this happened. So, please... don't tell us that we're wasting our time.

Moonie

Thanks Moonie. I'm so glad someone but me brought that up.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Katey

Yes I had contact with the Edge, yes my credibility is on the line

biff said:

That's right, so once again: When you had this "contact", what proof did you require, and what proof did you receive? What was the nature of this "contact"?

Thank you, biff. :bow: Isn't that how all this broke out, with people asking questions that were not answered? I am glad someone besides me can see this and will point it out. I appreciate you finding her direct quote and posting it. Everyone well knows my suspicions on her by now, but Katey is the one who claimed all along to have the contact and to be handling this. So I fail to see how she's not involved and doesn't know anything now. If I'm singling one person out, it's because that one person singled herself out all along in her posts and comments that this was her baby, now there's no way to get out of it. Of course it is Elvis's site so he is ultimately responsible but this cannot be denied. I do believe the mods when they say they don't know anything, but Katey HAS to know something.

The fact that there have been no real answers, as well as no more posts from "Edge" should be more than proof for anyone left wondering if this whole thing was bogus. Get a clue people:(

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

When I said that, it was based on reports by news correspondants for atu2 who had posted that on both their site and wire. When Rashes posted it on wire, he used the the title 'That's not Edge.' Rashes is a news person and I have never seen him post anything that wasn't confirmed without a disclaimer. I believe him. It was said that PM were going to put something on U2.com but decided it may be better 'not to give the situation any more publcity'. As for Angela, until recently she was on the inside here, so I would say her opinion on this is most credible.

As for the silence of U2.com now, as I posted somewhere back there, I don't think PM would take any action against the band's largest online fan community on the eve of a new album and tour unless something libelous, incorrect, or damaging to the band was done. Other than the J post I don't see that has happened. It's been mostly chitchat. The 'info' 'Edge' posted could have been gotten from a source other than a direct band member.

?
I was just referring to Khanada Rhodes's post about U2.com's silence.

As you said, U2.com staff wanted to put a disclaimer. And some of the reasons you mentioned apply if this is all a scam: it's incorrect info and it's deceiving U2's fans. It's also abusing U2 if it was done without their consent or knowledge and falsely portrating/presenting someone as being one of their members should not sit well with their legal team/management.

Elvis saying things need to be resolved is even more confusing: if this IS the Edge and everything is been checked out (as we've been told), what is there to resolve?

BTW, did anyone notice how Ask The Edge thread in As the boys play rock and roll forum got closed without explanation?

Last edited:
U2girl said:

?
I was just referring to Khanada Rhodes's post about U2.com's silence.

As you said, U2.com staff wanted to put a disclaimer. And some of the reasons you mentioned apply if this is all a scam: it's incorrect info and it's deceiving U2's fans. It's also abusing U2 if it was done without their consent or knowledge and falsely portrating/presenting someone as being one of their members should not sit well with their legal team/management.

I know :hug: I was aiming my comments at other people:)

U2girl, you have been one of the best posters in this thread and you have helped a lot. You are absolutely right. Thank you for your imput! :wave:

Last edited:
Oh I see.

I just want to know - like everyone else - what is going on.
The worst part about it it's dividing the community and I remember reading someone questioned The Edge being Edge in PLEBA and got blasted.

Last edited:
That 'someone' has since been apologized to for that;) Some of us were too taken with the whole "Edge" thing at the time to see the truth. That's the worst part about this, it messed with people's hearts and minds :sad:

Salome said:
in a way it's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy though

when you have a thread like this around for a couple of days and there's no sign of any answers (and I still don't see the need to wait for any confirmation from anyone to state what was the reason behind your actions so far) then at some point people will get irritated

Agreed.

The point of my post was more to express my surprise that this thread was still open. I honestly assumed it would be closed and deleted by page three.

I do appreciate it being left open. That said, I completely understand why people are getting more upset as the time goes by with no answer. It is a bit frustrating, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom