Interference Plebiscite: Abdicate or Mediate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pax, do you know when Elvis will return to address the issues in this thread?

There are a number of issues that Elvis could clarify immediately without waiting for the response to his query of Principle Management.

PS I'm not singling you out, nor expecting you to be Elvis keeper. I just thought I would ask in the off chance you might know.

peace

Last edited:
paxetaurora said:
Ladies, please!

Can we extend an olive branch here? Starsgoblue and U2Kitten, you are BOTH welcome here, and elsewhere on the forum, to discuss whatever you like--and particularly your concerns relevant to this matter.

Remember, we all really want the same thing: a peaceful, truthful resolution to this current situation.

I wasn't even nessacarily refering directly to this "situation"....some people are so vehement about this I wonder why they want to continue posting here. I respect everyone's right to speak thier mind but I have NEVER made it personal. Call me oversensitive but I'm a bit upset about being chased out the moment I got here. And as far as being called an idiot...may not seem like a big deal to some. I don't know why I'm telling you this but the last time anyone ever called me that was five years ago when someone close to me was punching me in the face---you don't know anyone on here outside of what they make public here, doing things like calling someone 'idiot' might not seem a big deal but you never know.... I never expected that from posters here...and yes, I've posted in many places other than PLEBA.

Last edited:
You know, there sure is a lot of name calling and slanderous remarks being made... especially about me. The really sad part is that some of you ASSUME that I am just to blame for everything because it's my site... however, while I may own this place, I am not the only person that runs nor contributes to it... nor am I the one that arranged the interview, or for that matter ANY OF OUR INTERVIEWS WITH ANYONE ELSE. I'm not responsible for setting up interviews, writing content stories, or really even the majority of running of the forum. I'm not inferring that you shouldnt blame me, or that you should blame others instead... but the fact that many of you are blaming blindly is really a let down.

To just throw stones at me is seriously screwed up. I really wonder if some of you would stoop to such lows while talking to my face, or others that have been insulted in this same thread. I'm so borderline of closing this thread, but I am keeping it open for those that wish to have respectful conversation about the topic at hand. This conspiracy crap has got to come to an end folks... there is no conspiracy. I'm currently out of the country, visiting my gf and her family for a holiday, hence why I do not have the time to sit here and reply to each and every post. Family/love/friendship comes first.. yes.. above and beyond U2... and I hope each of you can respect that.

Good night,

Joel

Thanks again Pax :)

The one thing I disagree with is that if this is fake (and it is) that this site is sunk, over, and everyone will leave. It doesn't mean I don't like the site or don't want to post here anymore. I do believe this site can go on as a community post faux Edge. We've all been through a lot together and this isn't going to ruin it all. Disappointed, yes. Wondering WHY, because the site didn't need any more hype as Rose said, definitely. But not the end of the site, no way. But I do think a lot of people are disillusioned and upset with good reason, and they deserve an explaination and an apology:| I hope the person posting wasn't laughing at us when we posted our hearts out in good faith in the beginning:( No, it can't be the end, but some things and some attitudes may need to change for the better.

The biggest mistake was overdoing it. If it had stopped after the Vertigo stuff, or even after the first couple "Edge" threads and then faded away, it could have been pulled off without a hitch. But dragging the game on, trying to make him our buddy, online a lot, in the off topic forums, saying blue crack and using smilies, trashing J, having a photobucket account, how naive and easily led did someone think we are? In a way it's kind of insulting to our intelligence. A few part time posters may not have paid attention, but most of us are on here far too much not to notice and question things. That was where it all went wrong, in case the person who did this is wondering;)

Edit: I didn't see Elvis's post before I posted this. But I do realize others are involved, and my main suspect is a staff member. I hope you can see how, considering all that's happened, we feel taken. I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to see this isn't right.

Last edited:
Elvis, as the site administrator, aka manager, of this site the buck stops with you. You are ultimately responsible for the content of this site.

To date, questions have not been answered and this lack of response is causing the tension to escalate, in my opinion.

Whilst I respect that you are entitled to a private life this situation has continued for a number of days and perhaps should now be considered a matter of urgency. The credibility of this site is being damaged the longer this episode is allowed to continue.

As you have already taken some time out from your holiday to write a post in this thread perhaps you can continue on and address the issues.

And then we can all lay this matter to rest.

peace

Last edited:
U2Kitten, I meant the site was sunk in that no one will believe any information that comes from it. Seriously, will you? I'm not implying that if I leave it will make any difference, but I think you will see a good number leave if this is all a hoax.

I'm still not sure about the whole thing. I'm probebly 50/50 at the moment on it and this thread had put me there. I was pretty sure it was Edge previously. Not so sure now.

I'm not posing any conspiracy theories myself. I know some people that can find out and I can myself eventually. So until then its a mystery to me. The other stuff I mentioned DID happen. So thats no conspiracy theory. I'm not sure Elvis's post was even directed at me in anyway because I'm not in the this is a hoax for sure camp at this point. Just pointing out what I know to be true.

The sad part is that its a time to be excited about what is going on with U2 and not wasting energy on this type of topic. But the events and information presented, even if some of it or even all of it is pseudo, has stirred this discussion and its not going to die until some independent people from this site get confirmation of Edge's validity here.

U2Kitten said:
Edit: I didn't see Elvis's post before I posted this. But I do realize others are involved, and my main suspect is a staff member.

Could you please PM or email me privately about your suspicion and what evidence you have - not assumptions. There is NO ONE on this forum EVER that has used IPs matching those in question. I've gotta go to bed now. Night!

Joel

beli said:

Whilst I respect that you are entitled to a private life this situation has continued for a number of days and perhaps should now be considered a matter of urgency. The credibility of this site is being damaged the longer this episode is allowed to continue.

As you have already taken some time out from your holiday to write a post in this thread perhaps you can continue on and address the issues.

Beli,

I guess you failed to read my earlier post where I said we would post a statement when we could. I am not going to post anything in partial just to satisfy assumptions and speculation.

As far as telling me that I should spend the rest of my time on holiday sitting here and replying to assumptions is insane. No matter how much truth I post here, people like yourself are going to continue to assume, claim someone is lying, or conspiring, or make accusations... it's really endless with some of you folks.

If you consider this a matter of URGENCY, I strongly suggest that your priorities are not in order, however that is a matter of opinion.

Good Night, again,

Joel

Elvis I'm not entirely surprised by your response above this one. Likewise, it has to be said it is a shame you didn't listen to the people you entrusted to look after the site for you. Instead you strip the privileges and allegedly ban those you feel might be a threat. Your staff, as I have said to you numerous times lately, are great people. It is all well and good to become the martyr, as you might very well be. I have been very clear in not painting you as the culprit, but you have been to hasty in not listening.
You want a team that obeys, that causes no dissent. Fair enough. You say you have access to information which you cannot part with. Fair enough. But there comes a point when teamwork really matters. Writing concerns off has not worked. Infact it has failed spectacularly. You might feel hard done by, and by all means might be entitled to, but the lack of information and poker-esque dealings around here of holding one's cards close to one's chest has caused this site a great deal of damage.

Who's fault it is, is debateable. It was entirely avoidable though. Finding a FallGuy is not going to sort this out. Honesty will. We all make mistakes.

Elvis, I actually meant I believe you should consider it a matter of urgency to address the issues to maintain the reputation of this site.

If this is not also your opinion, then so be it.

peace

ramblin rose said:

I echo your thoughts completely. I have no idea what was to be gained. This site didn't need any fake hype, there was enough real hype to maintain interest.

If this is a hoax, I truly worry about the mental stability of those responsible.

I ask all of you this: would you believe someone who has bragged to several people how he hacked into Bono's personal e-mail, then claimed the band wanted him to run their site?

No?

I wouldn't either. That's why, when the posts first started coming in purporting to be Edge, I knew it wasn't true. I was also here when the band was supposedly posting to the site and it was found to be a hoax. It was all swept under the rug.

Here's my point: many people pay for this site, and in so doing, expect to receive proper service. This proper service includes not being lied to. Now we're being told the problem is being "addressed." Well, shit. That just made it all better.

I, for one, never believed it in the first place. I have no reason to believe it. I think that this was supposed to be another case of, "whoops, sorry... I didn't know it wasn't Edge, either." and it gets swept under the rug. Oh, but how many people have visited this site and possibly bought memberships and donated money? Interesting.

Moonie :mad:

Elvis said:

Could you please PM or email me privately about your suspicion and what evidence you have - not assumptions. There is NO ONE on this forum EVER that has used IPs matching those in question. I've gotta go to bed now. Night!

Joel

I know this question was not addressed to me but before I give up in sheer bloody frustration let me state that Elvis and I had a pm conversation on the 4th October (Perth date) ie 6 days ago. I raised the issue of my email correspondence with The Edge person and was met with rebuttals.

The issue of the authenticity of The Edge poster is not confined to whether or not that person actually was/is The Edge from U2. That is a minor issue in the scheme of things.

For me, the dominant issue is how the policies of this site can permit management to afford a person official legitimate status without the necessary background checks, as appears to be the case.

I’m aware I’m hypothesising with my presumption that background checks weren’t completed but as this question is yet to be addressed I will make my post now and it can stand or fall when the facts are revealed.

And yes the Dafur crisis and various federal elections are more important than this issue but that does not mean this issue is of no importance.

I'm out.

:mad:

peace

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
Who's fault it is, is debateable. It was entirely avoidable though. Finding a FallGuy is not going to sort this out. Honesty will. We all make mistakes.

:applaud:

however, while I may own this place, I am not the only person that runs nor contributes to it... nor am I the one that arranged the interview, or for that matter ANY OF OUR INTERVIEWS WITH ANYONE ELSE. I'm not responsible for setting up interviews, writing content stories, or really even the majority of running of the forum.

:eyebrow: ooooooookay......so if you don't want responsibility for this site, why not pass it on to someone else who cares? I mean, after all this is hardly about "The Edge" posts anymore. It's your credibility (and ours) at stake here.

QUOTE: "However, while I may own this place, I am not the only person that runs nor contributes to it... nor am I the one that arranged the interview, or for that matter ANY OF OUR INTERVIEWS WITH ANYONE ELSE. I'm not responsible for setting up interviews, writing content stories, or really even the majority of running of the forum. "

So, who was then? Surely you were not just following orders?
(I guess we've never hear that before.)

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

No, I'm saying we have all found out the hard way that while PLEBA is safe and fun and happy, when you venture to other parts of the forum and express your opinions you can expect to get responses you don't like, and if you don't want to deal with that stay in PLEBA. It's been a joke for a long time and some girls are afraid to leave PLEBA. I guess you haven't been around long enough to get the staying in PLEBA reference. Everytime I get in trouble on another forum I post

:reject:

*runs back to PLEBA*

and speaking of being insulted, I was kind of put out by some of the things you just posted about those of us who don't believe:(

Okay back to the case at hand.

Oh that, we had a situation like that back at the old Zootopia, most treaded through general discussion lightly, but found other areas to much more enjoyable, and rarely "left" those areas. Me, I was 'infamous' for posting interviews about Adam, and Larry whenever I found them. ;).

Guess this means I will have something to ask Adam if I ever meet him, (something he probably doesn't get asked, if at all).

I don't know if this was mentioned before but isn't it odd that the official site U2.com never said A WORD about

the interview
Ask the Edge thing
Edge posting

I would think the official site would want the fans to know where and how they can send questions/talk to one of the band members.

Ultimately, Elvis and all the mods will be responsible, either way you look at it.

I read the entire 19 pages of this thread and it made me very, very sad. I've read all the evidence and accusations and I'm beginning to have my doubts about whether The Edge is really The Edge. However, I'm not really getting some of the finger-pointing at the administration... why would Elvis and the mods fake something like this when it could only bring trouble? Unless you want to go into really deep conspiracy theories and speculate that Edge actually gave PERMISSION for them to fake to create more publicity for the album and such, I find it highly doubtful that the staff would decide to make up The Edge when it would destory all credibility the site ever had.

So what if The Edge is actually just some random guy? I find that more likely than someone from the admin faking it...but if it's just some random dude out for kicks, some of the things he posted are rather odd. Why the hell would you post some poem about the evils of TV if you were pretending to be The Edge? Or make the random Dime bars comment? Sure, people will argue "well why would The Edge HIMSELF do that?" but I find that more likely than some random person doing it. I know that if I was pretending to be Edge I wouldn't go posting in random off-topic forums about candy. Actually, if I was pretending to be The Edge I'd be chatting with the PLEBA girls :wink:

Honestly though, I can see the possibility of The Edge really being "Dan from Chicago." But did anyone stop to think that The Edge is actually human? He has a life, and though it may not seem like it he does have free time. Bono has said (this was a few months ago I believe) that he actually is home a lot and drives the kids to school plenty often...and this is a man who is in the news practically every day in a different country talking to some politician, not to mention being in the world's biggest band! Obviously right now U2 is very busy preparing for the new album - but that would explain why Edge doesn't post all the time. I'll admit, some of the things he's posted (paticularly the poem) are pretty damn questionable. BUT, like I said, Edge is human. There's no reason to believe he wouldn't browse different sections of the board. Now, if he started posting in Lemonade Stand all the time I'd start raising eyebrows...but one or two non-band related posts? Nahh. As for the spelling errors -I noticed them right off the bat. Guess what? No one's perfect, and I'm sure Edge doesn't sit there for 20 minutes editing his posts... plus, you know, all things considered he's not that bad compared to the majority of the internet. Now if he started typing like "lol u guys r funny wel i g2g goodnite BE LUCKY!!!111" then I'd be worried. Then again, no one would have taken him seriously in the first place if he'd done that.

So to summarize all of that somewhat incoherent rambling, yes I have my doubts as to whether or not it's really The Edge - but once the tour starts and such it'll become clear. Fans will meet him and ask if he really posts at Interference... if he says yes all this finger-pointing and doubing will disappear, and if he says no well...the shit will hit the fan, and whether or not it's Joel's or whoever's fault, people won't be happy and Interference will go downhill. I think it's pointless to speculate until either The Edge or someone VERY close to him (family, someone else from the band, principle management) gives a "yes" or "no" answer. All this drama is only upsetting people.

As for me? I think it's The Edge, despite what was brought up in this thread. Why? Well, The Edge is a cool guy, and U2 has always been very close to their fans. I can believe that he'd interact with the fanbase on one of the biggest U2 fansites, especially since it's wonderful promotion for the album. But, that's just my opinion. I've believed in things and only gotten hurt later by finding out they're not true before... this may be one of those cases.

AtomicBono said:
Why the hell would you post some poem about the evils of TV if you were pretending to be The Edge? Or make the random Dime bars comment? Sure, people will argue "well why would The Edge HIMSELF do that?" but I find that more likely than some random person doing it.

Kinda off track, but just so you know, that 'poem' was actually the lyrics to "Television, The Drug Of A Nation" by Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy. It was played as part of the opening to Zoo TV shows. If you have the "Zoo TV - Live in Sydney" video, that's the song you are hearing over the opening credits.

Anyway, point is, it's not that random.

Starsgoblue: true, U2.com is often slow, but I imagine any interview/chat that happens with members of the band has to be OK'd/booked by the U2 organisation people. (I doubt any band members would just go around it and do something like this on their own)
That's why it's strange they've been so quiet, if they are watching this site, they MUST have noticed.
If it all is real, why did they not direct the fans here - and give an official confirmation? If it's not real, why did they not post an official denial?

There's two options: either EVERYONE was fooled or someone on the inside from this forum was on it.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Starsgoblue: true, U2.com is often slow, but I imagine any interview/chat that happens with members of the band has to be OK'd/booked by the U2 organisation people. (I doubt any band members would just go around it and do something like this on their own)
That's why it's strange they've been so quiet, if they are watching this site, they MUST have noticed.
If it all is real, why did they not direct the fans here - and give an official confirmation? If it's not real, why did they not post an official denial?

There's two options: either EVERYONE was fooled or someone on the inside from this forum was on it.

Since when does U2.com have links to every U2 interview ever? Just because Edge chose to answer a couple questions online doesn't mean it will nessecarily show up on the official site - plus, y'know, it's really SLOW :p I get all my U2 news from Interference because frankly U2.com doesn't have that much...though it looks as though the site may be improving. We'll see.

Earnie Shavers: Thanks for the info :) but I did know this from reading the thread... it's still kind of random for someone pretending to be The Edge though. Anyway, we'll also know whether it was really Edge or not based on if we see Electric Co, Ultraviolet, and some other songs he mentioned on the tour...

Of course U2.com does not have links to all U2 interviews, but (to my knowledge) the first interview of the band with a fansite is something that ought to have been mentioned IMO. Not to mention a band member posting on that very fansite, and the opportunity to ask him questions.

Ought to have been mentioned I agree, but that doesn't mean it will...

As for Edge posting, that's his business. It's not an official interview, it's like chatting with fans on the street - or the information superhighway.

I haven't seen the majority of Bono's speeches or various appearances put up on U2.com....why would PM care about Edge doing the "computer geek" thing on here?

I wouldn't see a reason to "direct" people here to this website because it was supposedly the individual action of one member of the band--I don't believe they need to ask permission if they are acting on thier own behalf.

U2 has never been a typical band. They have always seemed to go to the nth degree for fans...I mean come on people, do you realize what a fiasco and difficultly it was getting them to Sarajevo? I don't see it being a huge stretch for one of them, especially the 'gadget-guy' to reach out...

Now if there is someone here who is deliberatly misleading people, then that person really needs to suck it up and come forward. Do I know for sure it's The Edge? Nope. But the thing is the doubters don't know for sure either. I'd rather hope for the best...

Atomic Bono: Well yes, but don't t you hink the people from U2 organisation helped organise all those things? Why is there not a "exclusive! you can ask the Edge questions and he posts on this site, plus the interview..." on U2.com.
It's been weeks now, more than enough time.

It makes no sense that a band member would post on his own, and dragging the traffic away from the official site.

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:
However, I'm not really getting some of the finger-pointing at the administration... why would Elvis and the mods fake something like this when it could only bring trouble?

Fingers are boing pointed at Elvis and select mods because they are the ones who would have the power on here to create a hoax like this.

Us regular posters don't have the power to "authenticate" a poster with 'officially the real thing' under the username.

Unless you're implying that admin has been hoodwinked by some pleb off the street...?

I've found all the speculation here very interesting.

I'm just wondering - and this is a question directed to those who believe that this person is, in fact, the real Edge - WHY you believe that The Edge is posting here? Do you believe that it's Edge because it's stated that he's "officially the real thing"? What evidence do you have that this person is The Edge? Or do you not need evidence?

If you believe that this Edge person is the real Edge, then you are putting a lot of trust in the people who run this site. I'm sure you wouldn't be so quick to believe that this person is Edge if he wasn't given the designation "officially the real thing". I mean, you don't believe "theedge111" is the real Edge, do you? So if this Edge thing turns out to be a hoax, then, I would think, the people who run this site have let you down in a major way.

Because if that turns out to be the case, it would either be one (or a number) of them who engineered the whole thing, or one (or more) of them who gave this person official status as "the real thing".

Ultimately, I think Elvis is responsible, whatever the truth turns out to be. It's his site, so even if he's not involved in the day-to-day running of it, he should have done some very thorough checks before declaring, or giving someone the authority to declare, that this person is the real Edge. If he had ANY doubts about this matter, he should have either not given, or removed (if he wasn't the one who gave it) the "real thing" designation. By not doing so, he is complicit in the situation that is going on here, whatever that turns out to be.

Renne said:

Fingers are boing pointed at Elvis and select mods because they are the ones who would have the power on here to create a hoax like this.

Us regular posters don't have the power to "authenticate" a poster with 'officially the real thing' under the username.

I can see and understand your logic there, that makes sense.

But if you or others truly believe that the administration has deliberatley done something like this then why do you or the other doubters still post here? Please know I am not saying I don't want you to--but if I personally didn't have faith in the admin running the site (especially if I had given them money for things such as premium membership) I would definetly not continue posting here.

Exactly how or what would Elvis or anyone else on Interference be able to do to prove or disprove this anyways?

And please don't say a posting on U2.com because that's just silly...believe it or not there are some fans that don't know of Interference and secondly that would be almost like an endorsement for Interference, something I don't think U2.com should have to do or would do for many reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom