Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:05 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 AM
http://forum.atu2.com/forum.src?Acti...611&SubjStart=

Old 10-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #137
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:09 AM
But Beli, the IP addresses! They dont mean anything. Clearly it is Edge.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:46 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sure it is tHE eDge.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:48 PM   #139
Jesus Online

lol
Old 10-07-2004, 10:49 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Seriously, wtf? Stop it, stop it now.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:02 PM   #141
Jesus Online

Beli, what the hell is up with you lately? You canot base this on IP or a post from some unknown person at another U2 site. You need more than this.

Your dissent is not helping the mood of this forum. If you want to discuss this further, email me or pm me privately so no one will be any the wiser.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:05 PM   #142
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:09 PM
beli's questions are a good place to start yes
I would like to add to the first question:
is there any reason to believe that the interview was answered by anyone who even knows how to play an instrument instead of the people who also write all the other U2 promotion stuff?

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
since no one has answered carrie's question, i'll repeat it: what do you guys want or need that'll prove to you that it is david "the edge" evans, and not someone else?
I don't need any prove as I know it is hard to provide personal info
(meh, too easy)

I just want to know if even one person on this site has any prove
mainly because - as I stated earlier - it would be beyond shameful when should this turn out not to be Edge (and based on what I've read I would say that is a less than 50% probability) we won't get a lame "ah sorry, we were also tricked, tisk, damn Don from Chicago to pull this one on us" excuse

the x-files like mentality around this whole matter (either you're a believer or you're not) doesn't sit well with me
especially since I doubt that any of the people who state this have seen even a shred of prove either
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-07-2004, 11:06 PM   #143
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
If you want to discuss this further, email me or pm me privately
you are on a roll la harlem
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-07-2004, 11:17 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

I guess their all asleep. Whats the time in the USA?
Old 10-08-2004, 12:40 AM   #145
War Child

Local Time: 12:09 PM
ohh gee I'm glad atU2 cleared that right up for us really..what a relief...
Old 10-08-2004, 12:59 AM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Perhaps my lack of accompanying words has caused confusion. I will rephrase / phrase my question another way.

I would like to add a fourth question to my previous three please.

m2, whom I believe to be Matt McGee the site manager of atu2, has recently posted a comment at atu2. The link to the comment is: http://forum.atu2.com/forum.src?Acti...611&SubjStart=

I would like Elvis to address the issues raised in the comment, please.

Thank you
Old 10-08-2004, 02:16 AM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
But you have no more proof--in fact, with all due respect, you have less--than we do that Edge or the interview or what have you is not real.
What I was saying was labeled as ludacris, but this isn't?

The question isn't what proof I have, as I am not the one who said it is The Edge posting here.

I believe other posters have made it clear as well why some people have doubts, and I made a specific suggestion for confirming it's The Edge.

The whole thing was/is too vague, starting with the interview. (the board didn't want to say the way it was done, and simply typing "U2" does not say who answered it? Band members? U2 organisation people? Management?)
That said, yes, I believe it was real.

Over to the whole Dalkey Beach business - anytime anyone asked about him being legit with band connections or being Edge/ his identity - threads got closed. Simply an answer "yes he's got connections" or "yes it was Edge/no it's not him" would do. Clearly the mods had a way of checking Dalkey's credibility.

Down to The Edge who starts posting on 24 September (sic) of all dates, doesn't use Zootopia - the official forum, uses smilies from day 1. (I don't know about others, but I certainly know I didn't use smilies for days after I started posting) The real name is used -I thought this board protects privacy, and his posts have the same lemon smiley that the mysteriuos/infamous Dalkey Beach had.

Last but not least, Questions to the Edge: who picks which question get chosen and answered? Who answers? (Management, U2 organisation people, band members)?

The atU2.com thread beli quoted has an interesting post:

This is a quote I received from the proverbial "source close to the band" nine days ago: "...band members have not been posting to ANY site".
Old 10-08-2004, 04:55 AM   #148
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
After receiving many emails from this person

Okay that does it, if THE EDGE in the midst of preparing for a HUGE world tour, and of course being a family man with more children than Abraham, he is finding the time to post here AND email fans, well then Bono needs to get his arse in here! Surely if THE EDGE can find the time Bono could as well. /sarcasm

I will say that I do believe that someone from the band U2 did give the interview but do I believe that THE EDGE is that Irish fellow.... maybe a 10% chance.

Anyway I don't think trying to 'figure' it out now is even worth it. I have a feeling that we'll never ever know 100%.
This is still the best U2 site around bar none, it has its drama and scandals, but if you really want to find up to the minute news on U2 this is the place to find it.

I really with THE EDGE real or not would just go.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:08 AM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPandAmerica

Okay that does it, if THE EDGE in the midst of preparing for a HUGE world tour, and of course being a family man with more children than Abraham, he is finding the time to post here AND email fans, well then Bono needs to get his arse in here! Surely if THE EDGE can find the time Bono could as well. /sarcasm

I started to lose faith when he started posting on the off topic forums. While I do believe that Edge and other band members have come here and may be here now, and that they would be very interested in what we thought of Vertigo and would read the forum for that, I seriously doubt they have the time or the interest to cruise the other forums and post here and there just to be our buddy. The thrashing of J made me wonder, too, I can't believe someone as high profile as Edge would call ANY fan a 'terrorist' in writing on a public message board. He's too smart for that, and it's not good for business. Besides, J is a law student, he might sue Then there is the issue that he allegedly posted while he was known to be at the Q Awards. So while I was completely convinced after the first three "The Edge" threads, I don't feel the same now

If this turns out to be untrue I feel like such a fool for the gushing posts I put in the Edge threads. I also feel sorry for all the kids who have and continue to beLIEve and play along, as well as the members who have defended this site with their own honor at stake. Things other interferencers are saying also mean something to me. Right now, I am feeling kind of like I did when I found toys under my parents' bed when I was 8 and realized there really was no Santa, just your mom and dad, like other kids had been telling me
Old 10-08-2004, 07:13 AM   #150
Babyface

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Although this username is new, I'm actually an old old (one of the earliest) members. I've been around U2 forums for a long time and I've seen crap like this come and crap like this go. I hope this post will stay here - and that you will also respect my privacy as you purport to respect it for other members as well. I've kept silent on this issue here but it just drives me insane to be honest, and I feel compelled to at least lay out the obvious.

With all due respect, I will form my own opinion about what I think is going on here. I don't blindly believe anyone, so my opinion (that this is not Edge) comes from my own look at the threads posted about here, as well as what I know or believe to be true about the nature of these forums.

1. "The Edge" posted one of his earlier threads - his "Good Morning Friends" post - at 7:13 a.m. eastern time (or, 1 in the afternoon in Ireland). Why would he say "Good Morning" at 1 in the afternoon?

2. The next post Edge made was at 12:54 a.m. (that'd be 6:54 a.m. in Europe) - Good Evening Interferencers! Again, was Edge confused about his time?

3. I have noticed again and again that the Edge posts, and then within minutes, the site owner posts. Coincidence?

4. Edge, who is purported to be a MENSA genius, is an atrocious speller. One of his latest threads... Interference Interuption... misspells Interruption. That combined with the lousy grammar, the sprinkling of uniquely American sayings, and the over-use of smilies... all point me away from it being him.

5. You've got two mods, well former mods, who are vocally saying that this is not The Edge. Coincidentally, they are also now no longer mods. What's up with that?

6. U2.Com is in the process of a major relaunch. Their new site, presumably with their new forum (thank God) is coming online the same day as their new album. With Propaganda gone, I would assume that this new launch would also include some online fanclub with ticket sales etc. to replace Prop. Why on earth would any band member then, just a couple of weeks ahead of that, go post at a fan site that would pull traffic away from their own official site? It makes no sense. Why would a band member post at one fan site without ever having posted at their own site?

7. To say that The Edge is his own person and posts he makes about U2 on a U2 fan site are not within the domain of interest of their management company is absurd.

8. As has been mentioned several times in various places here, this exact stunt has been pulled before. The Edge himself has posted before, with a "Band" status, and has later been shown to in fact not be The Edge. I realize most of you were not around when that happened, but indeed it did.

9. The Edge has not answered any questions that have not been vague in nature, or that have not been already answered in the press.

10. As far as that interview goes, I believe questions were submitted to U2's management (most likely by email) and that answers were received back from U2's management (also most likely by email). My own personal suspicion is they were answered by someone at the management company and not by the band themselves. If you go read that interview, you will see that band members are almost always referred to in the third person. I believe that is the reason why you haven't seen that interview come down. Staff has been quite careful to not attribute that interview to anyone more specific than "U2".

We now have denials coming in. Time will tell I'm sure. I don't fault anyone for believing this, I sure would want to believe it. But I just don't. I would love to think that The Edge is just sitting around with his laptop and throwing around words like "blue crack" but if you really think about that it is ridiculous. They are gearing up for a tour, an album release, a promotional tour. I seriously, seriously doubt he's sitting around making inane posts on a message board.

Enjoy posting here, the friends you make can be great. Just approach what you read with an open mind. It's not in anyone's interest to blindly beLIEve everything you're told.