Interference=Commercial Website

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flameandthefire

The Fly
Hi all, I'm relatively new here although I've been watching you for a while. What are your thoughts about this web site being commercial? About being commercial I mean that you have to pay to be able to edit your signature, you have to pay to be able to send a private message, you have to pay to search messages.. you have to pay to.. you have to pay to.. You get the message.

I must say that I don't like this policy. Paying should be optional - not a must under any circuimstances. If you - the webmaster don't have the resources to run this site - then shut it down. The strong will always survive.

I must say that I feel like a second class citizen here on this website being unable to actually do some basic things I'm used to do on other web sites. V.I.Ps (the premium members) have the power. Whatever I need to pay to become a premium member I don't really care. This kind of attitude bugs me and makes me rebel against it and therefore I will certainly not pay anything.

You need a new server? Fine! I could have donated! I really could have done it if it wasn't for this strict policy.

I don't really like this strict policy, but I love all of you great fans of U2 that I get to meet on this website. Now, don't get me wrong, this is entirely my opinion about this matter and feel free to disagree. What do you think?

It used to be free, but it got too big, used too much bandwidth, and there were so many people it wasn't fair for one guy to have to foot the bill. He also tried asking for donations before he started the Premium membership thing, it didn't get enough support. Things got so bad he was considering shutting the site down. It would be nice if we didn't have to pay but that's not how it works. I'm not one for money, but really $12 isn't much for the entertainment, friendship and information of this site. Besides that, I blow that on stinking Happy Meals for my kids and get nothing but cheap toys to show for it. You are still free to read and post without paying, I know some sites that charge you just to post!

Last edited:
I have to say that paying IS optional. Not paying will not make you a second class citizen, at least not in my book. The basic things on this forum are still free. With that I mean browsing the forums and post (which is the main intention of a forum). All the other things are nice (eye) candy, but not necessary.

Elvis can explain it a lot better than I can, but keeping Interference up does cost a lot of money. It's not just the new server (that was a special situation), but also the bandwith. With thousands of people visiting this site daily, reading threads, posting, etc. this is a huge assault on bandwith. Elvis can barely keep up with the costs. You suggest then shutting down the site, but that is something the members here don't want. So some pay for a premium membership to keep the community alive. It may started like a U2 site for most of us, but it now is a community to many.

BTW, a big welcome nevertheless. I hope you'll find the forum worthwile to stay around. :wave:

C ya!

Marty

Well, there's too many people here now for one or even a few people alone to afford the servers, bandwidth, upkeep, etc. No one's forcing you to pay. Personally, I think everyone should have to pay to post, then there wouldn't need to be pressure to help pay for a new server and stuff like that. The stuff you get for paying isn't that necessary anyway. I don't use the journal, rarely use PM (usually someone PMs me first), and can't remember the last time I used the Search. If it really bugs you, you can ask Elvis to transfer my Premium membership to your account. Also, no one's making money off this site (so it's not commercial) and the minute I find out someone is, I'll take my opinions elsewhere.

Last edited:
Liv, one small clarification, the journals are free for everyone. Not that it means you now have to use it. Just so you know.

:)

Marty

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
If it really bugs you, you can ask Elvis to transfer my Premium membership to your account.

Oh thank you very much for the offer, but I couldn't accept it 'cause it would be wrong.

Well, like I said, I didn't write my message to raise hell, I just wanted discussion about this and I wrote how I honestly saw it. I didn't come to think of the bandwidth cost, that must cost something, of course. Interference - for the love or the money? I'm glad to see the money isn't the reason to run this site!! Thanks for your replies!

You are free to read and post--that is, join the community--without paying. We decided a long time ago that the hosting and other costs had gotten far too high to not have people pitching in.

Incidentally, you may not realize that Interference is not just the forum--we offer a LOT of original content (articles, essays, and analyses about U2), a lyrics site, a new "Ask the Edge!" feature (in which *The Edge*, yes, THAT The Edge, answers fans' questions about U2)...and much more.

So if you don't want to pay or donate, no one will make you. But at the same time, if I may say so, not paying doesn't make much of a statement, either.

I just realized I haven't changed my sig in almost 4 years, I never use the search features, but still, I don't mind paying 2 dollars a month. Hell. It's automatically taken out of my checking account for me too. It's just 2 dollars a month, I guess that's why I don't really care.

flameandthefire said:

Well, like I said, I didn't write my message to raise hell, I just wanted discussion about this and I wrote how I honestly saw it. I didn't come to think of the bandwidth cost, that must cost something, of course. Interference - for the love or the money? I'm glad to see the money isn't the reason to run this site!! Thanks for your replies!

No this site does not make money, right now Elvis is about $800 in the hole for the new server. Donations have been made but not enough to cover it. If we hadn't had the new server the day the new song broke the site would have crashed. This site is self supported by its members, and it's not even enough. There is no profit. Please do stick around and join us, even if you only read and post!

I try to run this site like a business... im certain aspect, but only because it costs so much damn money to run. To date.. there isnt any profit involved with interference, and to be honest.. since its inception, I'm actually in the red about $35,000 of my own money because of Interference. The memberships, ads, etc keep it running, and keep (almost) me from having to spend anymore of my own $.

Flying FuManchu said:
Is $800 still needed? Like the exact amount left to cover the cost?

As for pay websites... live with it. That is the compromise that this site made in order to avoid crappy popups. and extreme slowness...

Less than 200 now...

But like ive said elsewhere... we may need a 2nd server within the next few months.. time will tell.

paxetaurora said:
You are free to read and post--that is, join the community--without paying. We decided a long time ago that the hosting and other costs had gotten far too high to not have people pitching in.

Incidentally, you may not realize that Interference is not just the forum--we offer a LOT of original content (articles, essays, and analyses about U2), a lyrics site, a new "Ask the Edge!" feature (in which *The Edge*, yes, THAT The Edge, answers fans' questions about U2)...and much more.

So if you don't want to pay or donate, no one will make you. But at the same time, if I may say so, not paying doesn't make much of a statement, either.

I really don't understand what you mean by saying that ...

So if you don't want to pay or donate, no one will make you. But at the same time, if I may say so, not paying doesn't make much of a statement, either. [/B]

so if we are not paying....then what? We don't appreciate the site? We shouldn't be using the bandwidth? Personally I wouldn't pay for a membership because it seems very clicky here, and threads are removed or locked by the mods for reasons which often time seem to border on censorship in my book.

That said it is a wonderful community where people seem geniunely interested in each others welfare. And there is a wonderful exchange of discussion and ideas.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
come on... being able to see the wit and wisdom of the office of u2 security is worth at least .50 cents a month :wink:

Actually that's true, the humor alone *is*worth 2 bucks a month.

You can't even buy a magazine for $2 and this is far more entertaining.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
come on... being able to see the wit and wisdom of the office of u2 security is worth at least .50 cents a month :wink:

You're right about that! I'd even up it to a buck a month.

BlueTangerine said:
if we are not paying....then what? We don't appreciate the site? We shouldn't be using the bandwidth? Personally I wouldn't pay for a membership because it seems very clicky here, and threads are removed or locked by the mods for reasons which often time seem to border on censorship in my book.
it's not a matter of not appreciating it. for example, i donate lots of time modding the forums and have also donated money to the site as well. it's not expected, but i'm happy to do what i can. elvis is providing a service for everyone (not even just members - the site alone is huge, never mind the forums! plus guests can browse the forums too.) and not asking for money in return. the forums have been around since 2000; the site even longer. premium memberships have only been around for a little longer than a year.

as elvis said, he's spend tens of thousands of dollars on this site in the past. this site's been around for like eight years now. even with all the fundraisers and the memberships he's still $35000 in the hole. $35000 can buy a lot of really nice things, he didn't have to do it. but it's a community where a lot of people like to talk and get their U2 news. i remember when elvis leaked discotheque!

anyway, i wouldn't say we're clicky at all. you've just gotta get out there and post. it's hard to make friends at a party if you're the wallflower. i felt left out at first but then i just started reading the forums more actively, knowing what's going on, understanding inside jokes, and then started posting more. soon people started remembering who i was, and look at me now. i'm a mod, and that really wouldn't have ever happened had i not gotten more involved in posting.

threads are not locked or removed for no reason. there's a faq for the forums, which i actually wrote. if you haven't read it yet, i'd suggest you do because it may give you a better understanding as to why the threads were closed. but to really summarize it, threads are almost always closed because someone in the thread (usually the creator but not always) is being rude and/or violating rules. personal attacks may abound, the thread may get off-topic and become a venomous flame war. there's reasoning behind the closings and we always try to post why to give people a better understanding in case they don't know why it was closed. but failing that, if you or anyone else ever has a question as to why a thread was closed, feel free to ask the mod who closed it. our e-mail addresses are in our signatures, so we're easy to reach.

i don't think we censor here. for the most part you can say whatever you want as long as it's not attacking someone or something. you can even say U2 sucks here, so long as you're constructive with your criticisms. but remember too that this isn't protected by the constitution, first amendment rights do not apply to the forums. we can tell you you can't say the colour red is pretty if we wanted. BUT we try not to put limits on what you can or can't say or do here. like i said, we just try to prevent people from attacking one another and being overly rude.

The positives in my life that have resulted directly from my participation in this site are worth so much more than $12. I would pay double if I had to.

But, if you don't feel like paying, don't pay. You can be just as much a part of this community without being premium. But don't try and lay some kind of guilt trip on the people who run this site because you can't take full advantage of all the features as a non-premium.

The mods and admins work hard without pay, Elvis has spent a ton of his own time and money and a lot of us don't mind paying for premium status in return.

I also agree with LivLuv that everyone should have to pay but I know Elvis doesn't want to go that way so, hey...just enjoy the site and don't worry about what you can't do :shrug:

twelve dollars is really not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things if you are a frequent visitor of this site - in fact it is really quite a steal - Elcvis and co could raise the membership fee and I would not blink an eye - considering the time, work and energy that goes into this site (even when there isn't much going on in the world of u2)

BlueTangerine said:

so if we are not paying....then what? We don't appreciate the site? We shouldn't be using the bandwidth? Personally I wouldn't pay for a membership because it seems very clicky here, and threads are removed or locked by the mods for reasons which often time seem to border on censorship in my book.

While it would be wonderful if everyone who came here became Premium, realistically it will not happen. I personally don't expect it to, so if someone doesn't want to pay, it doesn't exactly shock me. That's all.

As for it being "clicky" here, well, it depends what forum you visit. PLEBA, for example, is a pretty tight-knit group. Everything You Know Is Wrong, on the other hand, is much more wide-open because of its more general nature.

And as for threads being locked, a great many more threads are left open than are closed, obviously. Furthermore, mods generally give reasons when they close a thread--people have become abusive, the thread has run its course, what have you. You can always e-mail a mod if you're wondering why a thread was closed.

And as for censorship, we are a private enterprise, and as such we can pick and choose what we allow on the forum. I personally believe we let people get away with an awful lot. There's very little that will, all by itself, result in a thread closing--although deep speculation about a band member's personal life will generally do it, as well as vicious name-calling or incitements to do anything illegal. Which all seems pretty reasonable to me.

These are all extremely well thought out replies with very valid points. Yes I did read the FAQ and for the most part threads are closed for those reasons (flaming, personal attacks, trolls etc.)

It just seems to me that there are some discussions that in a zeal to be politically correct, and/or have everyone play nice get shut down. But it's also the case that the site owners and operators have that choice. It's a place they created for themselves and other to enjoy. Personally I guess I'm a more casual fan than most here and don't want to pay for a membership to a place where I wasn't able to be completely honest or feel like I had to walk on egg shells for fear of offending someone or getting banned.

Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind as I get to know more people here. Everyone seems really nice. And I do feel guilty that I enjoy reading so much without paying for it.

We aren't nice and we all hate you!

Oopsy... did I write that or just think it?

:laugh:

Just teasing. ;)

I've "known" Elvis back when he used to write on WIRE (and now he's the mod of that too). When we had WIRE, the various administrators of that site would also have drives to get larger servers. And members paid as much as they could. We also had fundraisers and collected thousands of dollars to donate to charities (ones that U2 represented). So what Elvis doing here is not unique - in fact, it's been part of the U2 fan community for quite some time.

While you can't write a sig file, is it really important? You can read and write all you want! You just get some extra benefits by paying to become a member. Again, this is hardly unique to Interference - many sites are like this. An added benefit is that Joel's price is really quite fair.

So enjoy posting as much as you desire. And if you decide to become a member and have $12 to spare, we'll think the same of you then as we do now - with all the love we have. :wink:

I've only been Premium Member (hell, a member at all!) since March 2004. I found the site around the time of my birthday & as a present to myself, paid the Premium fee for a year. Matter of fact, I was so excited about it, I couldn't get to PayPal quick enough!
As others have pointed out, I could have easily become a regular of the forums without it costing me a dime. Quite frankly, though, I couldn't believe such a wonderful site would cost me less for one year than I spend one day for lunch. And if Elvis has to raise the yearly fee to $24 a person, I'd STILL happily pay that - this site is worth it.
Besides, it'd cost me 1000 times that if I was unable to get my daily fix of Blue Crack and had to seek professional therapy!!
:coocoo:

BluRmGrl said:
And if Elvis has to raise the yearly fee to $24 a person, I'd STILL happily pay that - this site is worth it.

Stop SAYING that! lol! Don't give him any ideas now :p

Anyway, I don't think the sig thing is THAT big of a deal is it? I find most sigs very annoying b/c they just take up space on the page and more time to download the gifs or whatever. You can write something about yourself in the Location field if you want.

Paying to help keep Interference running is no big deal to me. I figure it's like this:

Everyone pays for entertainment, right? Like movies (rented and theatre), music, drinks, etc.

Going out to a movie costs approximately $10. Now, I can forego ONE movie a year in order to afford an ENTIRE YEAR on one website. :)

It's worth it to me! $12 to feed an addiction for a year... the cheapest drug around! :wink:

Leeloo said:

Please don't stop posting. I like your doggie head avatar:cute:

That's one of my Huskies...His name is Blue. He loves the Interference Blue Crack.

In the large scope of things $12 is more than fair for the amount on entertainment I get from this site.

Elvis said:
I try to run this site like a business...
as an accountant I work with profit & loss sheets, balance sheets and budgets all the time
i fyou ever need any help to put together a financial business plan then just let me know :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom