I have a really cool, wild idea for the interference.com community!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
check this out....

A Tribute To U2 By The Memebers Of Interference.com

We've got all types of talented people here who share a similar passion: U2. Now some of us have had the chance to meet the boys firsthand, others have not, but we've all at some point or another made our point here on this site. What if we, as a community, had the chance to say Thank You directly to U2 and show the band how much they mean to us? Sound crazy? Here's what I'm thinking....

1. A tribute cd of musicians from this site doing their best cover of a u2 song. Any submissions taken, as many as we can get.

2. With the cd, a booklet of origional art and writings by any other interferenece.com com members who would like to submit stuff.

We take the cd, and the booklet, package it up with a cover letter to Principle Management explaining what it is, and then send it off.

I admit, this would take a lot of work, but I really think it would be a cool thing. U2 is what has brought people from all over the world to this site. For better or worse, this is a community, and we do all share a similar interest. Friendships have begun because of this site. I think it would be a nice gesture.

If anyone is interested in helping out with this endeavor, feel free to post your comments here or email me. I am a busy person, but I'd be willing to compile the music, master them if necessary, and put the cd together. We'd probably need a couple editors for the book, along with some graphic design people to help get it lookin' good. This doesn't have to be really fancy or cost a lot.

Lemme know what you guys think.

nickswoggermusic@earthlink.net

Would the tracks be recorded individually or would we collaborate on them? For a song like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," for instance, separate people can submit lead vocals, background vocals, lead guitar (electric), rhythm guitar (acoustic), bass, drums, and...um, there's a guy here obsessed with cow bell, isn't there? Then someone can mix and master them. That'd be pretty cool, especially for those of us who don't have bands or for those of us that can play a mean acoustic but would have a hard time doing a song solo.

Last edited:
theoretically you could do that. Even if you have a simple four track tape machine, you could still do vocals, guitar, bass, and a drum track (programmed). But, if you wanted to do a collaboration with others, you could. Might be kindof difficult, but definately possible!

hippy said:
:up: Cool idea!

I'll help in any way possible :) I don't really play... but I write and I'll volunteer to edit and such :yes:

Would this compilation also be available to Interferencers?

Cool.

As far as the booklet goes, I have no idea how we would distribute that to members since the cost of duplication might be expensive. You could do a distribution tree or something. Maybe the contributions could be posted somewhere on the site? We'll see as it goes I guess. This all just an idea right now (read...ideas anyone?)

As far as the cd goes, I figure we could post the mp3 files where they could be downloaded, and do a distribution tree as well if people need that.

Last edited:
good idea
for the booklet...i would suggest saving it as a .pdf file and disseminating it.

this thread should be copied into every damn forum and get stuck on top until it's done

fan-tastic :up:

I LOVE this idea!

I write all the time and I have a lot of stuff I have written about U2 and what their music means to me. I would absolutely love to take part in something like this.

Even if a CD doesn't work, something like a compilation book of artwork, writtings by the interference community, pictures of interference related events or just small get together's of people who are now really close friends because of this site. There's plenty of things we could do.

Wonderful idea :yes:

I like that idea too.

I just think you should probably call Principle first to ask them for the rights to record some U2 songs.

I'm sure the band would appreciate the effort.
Is there some way it could be used to raise money for charity? They may appreciate that even more.

I for instance, will accept sponsorship not to record a U2 song and donate the money.I still haven't found the note I'm looking for. Hub works in a recording studio and lets me in there after hours sometimes.(sshhhhh) Y'all should drop around.

seriously..great idea. Good luck with it :)

Ok I've been thinking about this ever since I saw this thread. I'm not trying to ignore the CD part because I think that's an amazing idea, however, I would have no way of contributing that part of it so the book is the only thing I would be able to help with. I have tons of ideas for a book of some sort.

Here's a few:

I really think it should be for sale for the Interference community with the money being donated to Bono's AIDS charity. I just think that would make it mean so much more.

I'm sure someone could find a local business to print it cheap or I wouldn't be surprised if someone on interference works at some place that could print it. From my past work experiences I have found that a lot of businesses will give you a deal on printing/making the book if you tell them it's for charity.

I also think some of the threads that are about U2, threads like "U2 is so amazing because...." kind of threads and have those included so the band can see how big their online community really is and what we think of them(write about them) on a daily basis.

I mentioned pictures in my other post, but other threads that could be included are people's pilgrimages to Dublin to meet the guys and include any pictures of them with the band if they were lucky enough to meet them. Some of the threads I have read about people going to Dublin and meeting the guys (or even not meeting them) have been so great.

I just have tons of ideas and I think it would be so incredilbe if we could actually pull it off.

Glad to see so many responses.

Here's a few of my thoughts etc. First off, I'm gonna be off-line for a while. I'm in the process of moving and won't have internet connection for about a month or so (my interim residence does not have a phone line...). So, I'm asking y'all to keep this thing going while I'm MIA. I see some real enthusiasm.

1. I'd like to get Elvis and Interference.com on board with this. They don't have to help create this (god knows the people who run this site do enough already!), but at least if we're using the name, we oughtta get the backing.

2. Personally, I think if we're not *selling* the cd, I don't see a need to get principle's okay. It's not like tribute bands like Exit get their permission before performing and distributing the covers. If we were going to sell the cd, then yeah, we'd need their blessing.

3. I like the .pdf idea. Much easier to distribute, more cost effective, and if the files aren't too big, they could be a permanent fixture on this site.

4. While I like the charity idea, I have some reservations about the idea of selling this product. I guess my initial idea wasn't in that direction. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, I just hadn't thought of it that way. I would hate for people who contribute to this book to then not be able to have a copy b/c they'd have to pay for it. Maybe we could have it for free, but set up some kind of donation link that people could donate money to a charity in the name of interference.com or U2 or something. We can discuss this more.

5. I've seen some people say they'd like to help out/contribute. Great! We're going to need to have a committee of sorts to get this thing rolling. I'm looking for 4 - 6 people to help out. I need someone with a strong background in editing, someone with a graphic-arts background, someone who is computer/internet savvy, a Dream Out Loud contributor who spends time on that forum, and a recording musician with technical knowledge. Most importantly, they've all got to have time to put towards this.

I figure this can be accomplished by the end of the year. I don't want to push or rush this. It will take time, especially because I'm thinking that we will get a LOT of contributions to the book. That will take more time than the cd.

As Solome noted, it would be nice if we could get this thread put at the top of every forum to keep people posted. We'll have to work on that.

Anyone who wants to be a part of the committee, please email me at nickswoggermusic@earthlink.net

As I said, I'll be off-line for the most part until the beginning of June. I will have infrequent opportunities to check my email, but I doubt I'll be able to take the time to visit this site and read the thread.

Some things to think about:

1. Putting a word limit on contributions, so that we have space for everyone.

2. Groundrules for contributions. Don't want to scare the boys, right? lol!

3. Use of copyrighted photo's in artwork. I know some people do photoshop stuff to U2 photo's. Is this stuff we could put in, or would that be a problem? Might need some legal advice.

4. Some type of schedule for completion. As I said, I see the end of the year being realistic, but who knows.

5. What do we call this?

6. How do we ensure that if we send it to Principle, U2 will see it? Do we have anyone on the "inside" so to speak who could make sure that they knew what exactly it is?

Anyway, lots of questions. So keep brainstorming, and email me if you want to be involved in seeing this project come to fruition. I look forward to seeing what happens with this.

Thanks for everyone who's on board. I think this will be really cool.

Oh, and HelloAngel, maybe in the future at some point. I've got quite a bit on my hands, but if this works out, yeah, might be interested.

later.

popkidu2 said:

2. Personally, I think if we're not *selling* the cd, I don't see a need to get principle's okay. It's not like tribute bands like Exit get their permission before performing and distributing the covers. If we were going to sell the cd, then yeah, we'd need their blessing.

6. How do we ensure that if we send it to Principle, U2 will see it? Do we have anyone on the "inside" so to speak who could make sure that they knew what exactly it is?

I agree you may not HAVE to call them before (in order not to violate copyrights) because of "public usage" - even if the situation is tricky without okay, I think no one would care to sue over such an issue - but I definitely would call them to make sure.

Imo, it has to do with respect for the composers. If you want to send it to Principle later anyway, you should. Nothing?s more annoying than sending out a CD and writing sth. like "Hey, we thought we are great and so we decided to do that and please pass it on to Bono"... it would be better to write "Regarding our phone call on xox, with your okay we have put this together, thank you for your help and please pass it on to Bono".

Just my 2c.

I wish I'd seen this earlier. Fantastic idea. :up: I've been feeling the need to get some creativity out through the piano lately, I may have to come up with a solo piano cover song... :hmm:

hey, I just saw this thread and think it's a great idea too! I'm an artist and graphic designer, and I'd be willing to help out in anywway I can with the graphics! :yes: :up:

OMG

*combusts*

I'm a singer! ME! ME! ME!

Who wants to try a collaberation with me? I don't know how the logistics will work out, like I said I'm a singer, so I don't think of things like that ... :/ Maybe one of you techie-edge types can figure something out? I'll sing pretty much ANYTHING and I'd be totally THRILLED to do this with some interferencers. Lol.

*SO excited*

This is a great idea... As long as we're not selling the compilation, we shouldn't run into copyright problems. Put me down for it... I've got an acoustic cover of "One" I recorded a while back. Just have to find it...

Bluephisto, do you have any way to record your vocals?

Back
Top Bottom