I have a really cool, wild idea for the interference.com community! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2003, 05:33 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:20 PM
kick ass idea.

Old 05-06-2003, 03:16 AM   #17
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I LOVE this idea!

I write all the time and I have a lot of stuff I have written about U2 and what their music means to me. I would absolutely love to take part in something like this.

Even if a CD doesn't work, something like a compilation book of artwork, writtings by the interference community, pictures of interference related events or just small get together's of people who are now really close friends because of this site. There's plenty of things we could do.

Wonderful idea

Old 05-06-2003, 09:45 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:20 AM
I like that idea too.

I just think you should probably call Principle first to ask them for the rights to record some U2 songs.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:32 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:20 PM
good call hiphop.

i'm all over writing for the booklet - or even drawing for it!

Old 05-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #20
New Yorker

This is a great idea.
The Elevation book is pretty recent. They may have some ideas.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:04 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:20 PM
I'm sure the band would appreciate the effort.
Is there some way it could be used to raise money for charity? They may appreciate that even more.

I for instance, will accept sponsorship not to record a U2 song and donate the money.I still haven't found the note I'm looking for. Hub works in a recording studio and lets me in there after hours sometimes.(sshhhhh) Y'all should drop around.

seriously..great idea. Good luck with it
Old 05-09-2003, 01:15 AM   #22
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Ok I've been thinking about this ever since I saw this thread. I'm not trying to ignore the CD part because I think that's an amazing idea, however, I would have no way of contributing that part of it so the book is the only thing I would be able to help with. I have tons of ideas for a book of some sort.

Here's a few:

I really think it should be for sale for the Interference community with the money being donated to Bono's AIDS charity. I just think that would make it mean so much more.

I'm sure someone could find a local business to print it cheap or I wouldn't be surprised if someone on interference works at some place that could print it. From my past work experiences I have found that a lot of businesses will give you a deal on printing/making the book if you tell them it's for charity.

I also think some of the threads that are about U2, threads like "U2 is so amazing because...." kind of threads and have those included so the band can see how big their online community really is and what we think of them(write about them) on a daily basis.

I mentioned pictures in my other post, but other threads that could be included are people's pilgrimages to Dublin to meet the guys and include any pictures of them with the band if they were lucky enough to meet them. Some of the threads I have read about people going to Dublin and meeting the guys (or even not meeting them) have been so great.

I just have tons of ideas and I think it would be so incredilbe if we could actually pull it off.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:18 PM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Glad to see so many responses.

Here's a few of my thoughts etc. First off, I'm gonna be off-line for a while. I'm in the process of moving and won't have internet connection for about a month or so (my interim residence does not have a phone line...). So, I'm asking y'all to keep this thing going while I'm MIA. I see some real enthusiasm.

1. I'd like to get Elvis and Interference.com on board with this. They don't have to help create this (god knows the people who run this site do enough already!), but at least if we're using the name, we oughtta get the backing.

2. Personally, I think if we're not *selling* the cd, I don't see a need to get principle's okay. It's not like tribute bands like Exit get their permission before performing and distributing the covers. If we were going to sell the cd, then yeah, we'd need their blessing.

3. I like the .pdf idea. Much easier to distribute, more cost effective, and if the files aren't too big, they could be a permanent fixture on this site.

4. While I like the charity idea, I have some reservations about the idea of selling this product. I guess my initial idea wasn't in that direction. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, I just hadn't thought of it that way. I would hate for people who contribute to this book to then not be able to have a copy b/c they'd have to pay for it. Maybe we could have it for free, but set up some kind of donation link that people could donate money to a charity in the name of interference.com or U2 or something. We can discuss this more.

5. I've seen some people say they'd like to help out/contribute. Great! We're going to need to have a committee of sorts to get this thing rolling. I'm looking for 4 - 6 people to help out. I need someone with a strong background in editing, someone with a graphic-arts background, someone who is computer/internet savvy, a Dream Out Loud contributor who spends time on that forum, and a recording musician with technical knowledge. Most importantly, they've all got to have time to put towards this.

I figure this can be accomplished by the end of the year. I don't want to push or rush this. It will take time, especially because I'm thinking that we will get a LOT of contributions to the book. That will take more time than the cd.

As Solome noted, it would be nice if we could get this thread put at the top of every forum to keep people posted. We'll have to work on that.

Anyone who wants to be a part of the committee, please email me at nickswoggermusic@earthlink.net

As I said, I'll be off-line for the most part until the beginning of June. I will have infrequent opportunities to check my email, but I doubt I'll be able to take the time to visit this site and read the thread.

Some things to think about:

1. Putting a word limit on contributions, so that we have space for everyone.

2. Groundrules for contributions. Don't want to scare the boys, right? lol!

3. Use of copyrighted photo's in artwork. I know some people do photoshop stuff to U2 photo's. Is this stuff we could put in, or would that be a problem? Might need some legal advice.

4. Some type of schedule for completion. As I said, I see the end of the year being realistic, but who knows.

5. What do we call this?

6. How do we ensure that if we send it to Principle, U2 will see it? Do we have anyone on the "inside" so to speak who could make sure that they knew what exactly it is?

Anyway, lots of questions. So keep brainstorming, and email me if you want to be involved in seeing this project come to fruition. I look forward to seeing what happens with this.

Thanks for everyone who's on board. I think this will be really cool.

Oh, and HelloAngel, maybe in the future at some point. I've got quite a bit on my hands, but if this works out, yeah, might be interested.

later.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:14 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 08:20 PM
I could contribute a lot of songs, poetry, anything I it could go to a good cause...

email me at:

U2FatStrat@cs.com
Old 05-20-2003, 09:54 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by popkidu2

2. Personally, I think if we're not *selling* the cd, I don't see a need to get principle's okay. It's not like tribute bands like Exit get their permission before performing and distributing the covers. If we were going to sell the cd, then yeah, we'd need their blessing.

6. How do we ensure that if we send it to Principle, U2 will see it? Do we have anyone on the "inside" so to speak who could make sure that they knew what exactly it is?
I agree you may not HAVE to call them before (in order not to violate copyrights) because of "public usage" - even if the situation is tricky without okay, I think no one would care to sue over such an issue - but I definitely would call them to make sure.

Imo, it has to do with respect for the composers. If you want to send it to Principle later anyway, you should. Nothing´s more annoying than sending out a CD and writing sth. like "Hey, we thought we are great and so we decided to do that and please pass it on to Bono"... it would be better to write "Regarding our phone call on xox, with your okay we have put this together, thank you for your help and please pass it on to Bono".

Just my 2c.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:30 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Artwork
Old 05-25-2003, 06:28 AM   #27
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I wish I'd seen this earlier. Fantastic idea. I've been feeling the need to get some creativity out through the piano lately, I may have to come up with a solo piano cover song...
Old 05-25-2003, 05:27 PM   #28
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

hey, I just saw this thread and think it's a great idea too! I'm an artist and graphic designer, and I'd be willing to help out in anywway I can with the graphics!
Old 05-26-2003, 09:51 AM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 07:20 PM
OMG

*combusts*

I'm a singer! ME! ME! ME!

Who wants to try a collaberation with me? I don't know how the logistics will work out, like I said I'm a singer, so I don't think of things like that ... :/ Maybe one of you techie-edge types can figure something out? I'll sing pretty much ANYTHING and I'd be totally THRILLED to do this with some interferencers. Lol.

*SO excited*
Old 07-29-2003, 01:29 AM   #30
The Fly

This is a great idea... As long as we're not selling the compilation, we shouldn't run into copyright problems. Put me down for it... I've got an acoustic cover of "One" I recorded a while back. Just have to find it...

Bluephisto, do you have any way to record your vocals?