Hypothetically Speaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UberBeaver

Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
If I were to make something super awesome for the people of Interland, but I posted it on my personal website, I wouldn't be able to link to it, right? Cause that'd be shameless self promotion? So I'd just be wasting my time, yeah?

Only if the link is in your signature I believe. Then I'd have to hopefully come across a post of yours and then notice the links in your signature. So not a total waste of time, but mostly, yeah.

:hug::(

Yeah, you really can't start a thread that advertises your web site, regardless of the type of site being posted. I wish I could make exceptions to that rule. I feel bad closing some of those threads where people just truly want to share something relevant to this community, but it's really not fair to pick and choose.

Besides doing the signature option, you could make a journal entry. You could also submit it to the Links Database.

But isn't there a difference between promoting a website, ie looking to increase hits to increase ad revenue, from sharing what's on a personal website?

Youtube links are, of course, acceptable. As are links to news items. But most of those sites make money. Saying, "Hey, look what I did for you..." is far more philanthropic and a real community builder. It's part of why people come to sites like this.

I'm so confused. :(

i'm obviously no mod, but i'm wondering if the philosophy behind that rule is to avoid flooding the forums with shameless self promotion.

maybe perhaps you can start a thread that encourages discussion about a topic relevant to whatever material your link has, and include the link?

If you want to, you could post something in Don't Expect, Suggest. To me, there's a big difference between a member just wanting to share something useful they've done and spam/advertising, and I personally don't like how they all get lumped negatively. For example, there is a huge difference between a person who has been here awhile and wants to share something than a new person whose first post is, "Check out my site." In general, it is a gray area though, and I think it would be hard to not be accused of double standards. Of course the mods can use common sense, but whoever's threads do get closed will most likely still cry foul. I think part of the reason the rule has been like this is to avoid opening that can of worms.

Back
Top Bottom