How do we deal with.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 12:23 AM
How do we deal with....

This may seem incredibly odd that I'm asking this in a member forum, and not a moderator only forum... however, I'd really like to hear what people have to say about the following:

Lately we've had a lot of individuals and cliques constantly duking it out with each other; reporting every possible post, always making sarcastic, rude, or snide comments, and of course.. plenty of personal attacks.

Many of the people involved are quite popular around here, and it would be a shame to have to suspend or ban them.

This is a community problem.

So, if you've got ideas on how to deal with this... I'd love to hear your suggestions, just please keep it serious.

Joel

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Re: How do we deal with....

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
Many of the people involved are quite popular around here, and it would be a shame to have to suspend or ban them.
I think there's a problem right there.

I don't care if it is your first post, and you don't have a single friend here yet or if you thousands of posts and a boatload of friends...the rules apply. I think some people who are popular here may feel that they are "safe" and can just skate on through and do as they please. That's not true. I've been accused of favoritism in the past, which really bugs me, because I honestly strive to be as fair as possible.

I do agree with you that it would be a shame...but that shouldn't stop us from enforcing rules. This should be a nice environment where everybody feels welcome and equal. If people can't respect and follow rules that are basically common decency...THAT is a shame.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 02-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 03:23 AM
I agree that the problem is that because they think they're popular and have lots of friends that that makes them suddenly immune to getting in trouble. To take care of that would most likely require suspension or banning for them to take it seriously. Some of them think they run this place and I think the only way to fix that is to enforce the rules and stop giving them more chances.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Do members get a message when one of their posts is reported? If so, I guess you could look for a willingness to change when a certain behvior is reported.

But, to Bonochick's point, a violation of the rules should be enforced even handedly, no matter how popular the member.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Do members get a message when one of their posts is reported? If so, I guess you could look for a willingness to change when a certain behvior is reported.

But, to Bonochick's point, a violation of the rules should be enforced even handedly, no matter how popular the member.
The problem with that is that alot of the people who do get reported ignore moderator emails, PM's and warnings. They just keep going about their business. They don't care to change their behavior, and don't care how it effects others.

The thing is...mob mentality. If moderators, say, ban, a popular member or members, then a crusade will be launched against the mods, thusly creating a problem for mods who are just trying to lessen the problems for others. This then becomes a huge issue and then the mods are taken down as well, which is not what we want at all. We don't want to be involved in clique or personal squabbles, and we don't want crusades against us when the rules are enforced.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

I think we should have more 'time-outs' - maybe 1-2 week suspensions of board access - give them a taste of life without blue crack, so they know that we are watching and bad behavior won't be tolerated. Do it a second time and it is a longer (6 months?) or permanent vacation. More work for you and Sicy unfortunately, but may work as a wake-up call to think more closely about what they post
Old 02-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by clarityat3am
I agree that the problem is that because they think they're popular and have lots of friends that that makes them suddenly immune to getting in trouble. To take care of that would most likely require suspension or banning for them to take it seriously. Some of them think they run this place and I think the only way to fix that is to enforce the rules and stop giving them more chances.
I agree. I'd like to say as much as I try to avoid/ignore it, it gets extremely annoying to see the same people engaging in repeated offensive behavior. It's at the point where it is completely predictable. I don't say anything because honestly it becomes clear what will happen to me on here if I do. It's not worth the stress and aggravation for me. I just go along and try to filter it out and participate the way I want to.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
musicidalist

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
I think we should have more 'time-outs' - maybe 1-2 week suspensions of board access - give them a taste of life without blue crack, so they know that we are watching and bad behavior won't be tolerated. Do it a second time and it is a longer (6 months?) or permanent vacation. More work for you and Sicy unfortunately, but may work as a wake-up call to think more closely about what they post
I've thought about this too.

And well, we all know how I feel about the troll-y alters...
Old 02-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Miroslava

I've thought about this too.

And well, we all know how I feel about the troll-y alters...

Registering and/or using an Alter while banned or suspended is reason for a permanent ban and possible further action, not excluding contacting the member's ISP or the proper authorities.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
musicidalist

Well, what I meant is those members with multiple screennames (not obvious funny alters) that use them to start crap or say things they wouldn't say under their main SN.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Miroslava
Well, what I meant is those members with multiple screennames (not obvious funny alters) that use them to start crap or say things they wouldn't say under their main SN.

I thought that was against the rules.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

I thought that was against the rules.

It is, and they can be banned for doing that.

That, I suppose, is part of the larger topic of which I started this thread for.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Then why not be a bit more consistent in taking their alters away from them as soon as they use them to be rude/sarcastic or bicker on other members?

OK, I don't know how it works now, but if people cannot help being rude to other members, at least they should be brave enough to use their usual username while doing it.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Then why not be a bit more consistent in taking their alters away from them as soon as they use them to be rude/sarcastic or bicker on other members?

OK, I don't know how it works now, but if people cannot help being rude to other members, at least they should be brave enough to use their usual username while doing it.
Alters is completely another discussion... let's try to stay on topic though.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I agree. I'd like to say as much as I try to avoid/ignore it, it gets extremely annoying to see the same people engaging in repeated offensive behavior. It's at the point where it is completely predictable. I don't say anything because honestly it becomes clear what will happen to me on here if I do. It's not worth the stress and aggravation for me. I just go along and try to filter it out and participate the way I want to.
I agree completely. If most people act this way, and ignore the arguments, etc. I think it might die down. Who knows.

If you ignore a bully, they'll eventually give up. It is no fun for them to harass and argue with someone that won't give you the time of day. Not sure if that makes total sense, but there's my 2 cents.