How do we deal with.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #16
I Serve Larry's Stick
 
clarityat3am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 2,996
Local Time: 07:12 AM
Alter or not, new or old or popular or whatever, if they disrespect or don't follow the rules, they need to be reprimanded the same way every time. I think we should have another thread to discuss alters, so this one will stay on topic.
__________________

__________________
clarityat3am is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,898
Local Time: 06:12 AM
i say maybe the admins/mods could keep a database, storing how many times someone has been warned, so if there is to be a banning, at least it's fair(i think fairness is especially important when there's money involved-Premium Membership).

maybe do a 3 strikes and you're out rule?


btw, sorry if any of this has to do with me. i really was just trying to defend myself yesterday without insulting anyone, and i think i actually accomplished that. the line was crossed when i was called a "douche" though, especially when i was only trying to make a point of why it was acceptable to start the thread i did. i had no choice but to report that post.

thanks for listening.
__________________

__________________
mikal is online now  
Old 02-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
If so, I guess you could look for a willingness to change when a certain behvior is reported.

But, to Bonochick's point, a violation of the rules should be enforced even handedly, no matter how popular the member.
That's all you can do. HelloAngel, I know it'd suck to have the rest of the clique come after a mod, but I think that's just got to be part of the crappy part of being a mod. Sucks, but I think that's just how it has to be.

My recommendations are pretty much like those above:

1). Everyone gets a warning, no matter how "popular" they are.
2). If the warnings go unheeded, then the member gets either a temporary ban or a permanent ban, depending on how awful the behavior has been....no matter how "popular."
3). If the rude behavior continues even after a temporary ban, then a permanent ban is enforced---no warning even needed, and again, no matter how popular a person is.



As for alters (and I know it's another topic ), I think I've made it clear that I'm not a fan. If you want to start a Batman alter and have your posts talk only about Batman stuff in a funny thread, fine. In a serious thread, it's not so cool. And if you want a random, "realistic" alter and just start crap, fuel arguments, etc., then I'd say see Steps 1-3 above.
__________________
Utoo is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #19
Creator of the Blue Crack
 
Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,008
Local Time: 04:12 AM
Regardless of Premium memberships, there is a user agreement upon registering here and the Rules are posted from EVERY page. Getting banned can and will happen if the person is a Premium member or not.
__________________
I created this place. I hyped a band.
Now I own an ad agency. We hype brands.
All roads for me lead back to U2. Ain't it grand.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Elvis is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,898
Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
Regardless of Premium memberships, there is a user agreement upon registering here and the Rules are posted from EVERY page. Getting banned can and will happen if the person is a Premium member or not.
of course, but when payments are involved, sometimes things can get a little more touchy. that's why i thought if anything, maybe it would be less of a headache for you if you were able to provide documentation of every warning a member had when banning them. if anything, it would give them less of a case for trying to get their money back.
__________________
mikal is online now  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
My recommendations are pretty much like those above:

1). Everyone gets a warning, no matter how "popular" they are.
2). If the warnings go unheeded, then the member gets either a temporary ban or a permanent ban, depending on how awful the behavior has been....no matter how "popular."
3). If the rude behavior continues even after a temporary ban, then a permanent ban is enforced---no warning even needed, and again, no matter how popular a person is.
This is pretty much what we already do, though.

Which is why this thread was started. The usual tactics aren't working, and since sooo much drama has been happening lately, what is there to do that will cause the least amount of upheaval and problems for everyone else including the mods. We're honestly asking.

Either way, should someone popular get permanently banned, there's always going to be a shitstorm in its wake. We know we can't please everyone, but we would like to lessen the amount of vitriol handed to us after such an action is taken.
__________________
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
redkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: racing to the waterside
Posts: 19,620
Local Time: 05:12 AM
if people don't respond to a warning can't you suspend them until they do? If they don't respond to the mod that's warned them then they can't post.

Time outs seem like a good idea. Just a short time away as opposed to a banning if they aren't listening to warnings.
__________________
redkat is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #23
Creator of the Blue Crack
 
Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,008
Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mikal


of course, but when payments are involved, sometimes things can get a little more touchy. that's why i thought if anything, maybe it would be less of a headache for you if you were able to provide documentation of every warning a member had when banning them. if anything, it would give them less of a case for trying to get their money back.

This is offtopic, but this is a quick reply... it says on the subscription page - no refunds. And this is exactly why. It is not our responsibility to refund someone if they can't behave. This has always been the policy, and has always been posted.
__________________
I created this place. I hyped a band.
Now I own an ad agency. We hype brands.
All roads for me lead back to U2. Ain't it grand.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Elvis is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,898
Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis



This is offtopic, but this is a quick reply... it says on the subscription page - no refunds. And this is exactly why. It is not our responsibility to refund someone if they can't behave. This has always been the policy, and has always been posted.
ah. ok. thanks for clarifying.
__________________
mikal is online now  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

The usual tactics aren't working
Maybe people are being given too many warnings? I dunno. I know that there'd be some upheaval, but maybe a bit of turbulence is what's needed to fix this. Kind of like an example. Someone big gets banned because they're being a jerk, all their friends go crazy over it and get pissed off, and then you guys say: "Look, this is what happened. If you act like this and ignore the mods, you don't come back. Anyone who acts like this person did will have the same fate. That's it."

I know that you guys might be afraid of a bunch of people leaving if someone really popular got kicked out, but I don't really foresee that.. This site has survived a blunder or two in the past (before my time, I know) but it's still got a ton of members and a TON of new members----because we all know that this is the best U2 fan board & we spread the word. I think the future of the site is still pretty good, despite the possibility of a hurt clique or two.


EDIT: One more thing: I think stating that there is a set number of warnings allowed, etc., would be a good thing. That way no one gets a few extra warnings because they're cool.....or no one can allege that someone else got a few extra warnings because they're cool.
__________________
Utoo is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,542
Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThoraSEB
I agree completely. If most people act this way, and ignore the arguments, etc. I think it might die down. Who knows.

If you ignore a bully, they'll eventually give up. It is no fun for them to harass and argue with someone that won't give you the time of day. Not sure if that makes total sense, but there's my 2 cents.
While it is of course a nice idea to just ignore someone, it rarely works. Either you can't take it anymore and give a reaction, or friends on this board give a reaction. And it snowballs from there...
__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 08:12 AM
How about a three strikes and your out kind of deal? It's getting to the point where some members think it's ok to insult a moderator or other members. They get warned but they do it over and over again. And it's just not 3 times or 6 times that they are warned. I know there are a few people well liked here but it shouldn't excuse them for being incredibly rude towards the mods or the posters on here. I really like this site and I don't want to leave.


AHHH crap. I should have read Mikal's post before posting mine!

ETA: I agree with Utoo's post. Some posters get multiple warnings and they seem to just get away with it. I know the mods try there best and they can't be everywhere all at once. When I see certain posters just belittling people and the mods there's no need for it. Maybe suspend them for the day. I don't know. People need to respect each other a bit more on here though.
__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo


That's all you can do. HelloAngel, I know it'd suck to have the rest of the clique come after a mod, but I think that's just got to be part of the crappy part of being a mod. Sucks, but I think that's just how it has to be.

My recommendations are pretty much like those above:

1). Everyone gets a warning, no matter how "popular" they are.
2). If the warnings go unheeded, then the member gets either a temporary ban or a permanent ban, depending on how awful the behavior has been....no matter how "popular."
3). If the rude behavior continues even after a temporary ban, then a permanent ban is enforced---no warning even needed, and again, no matter how popular a person is.
I would extend a similar system if the "mob" starts creating problems for the Moderators. The rules are clear about public discussions of bannings.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 08:04 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life
 
zoney!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: six metro locations
Posts: 11,292
Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn


While it is of course a nice idea to just ignore someone, it rarely works. Either you can't take it anymore and give a reaction, or friends on this board give a reaction. And it snowballs from there...
Marty has nailed the problem! I have been guilty of it - and FREELY accept parital blame.

I came to the aid of a friend who was being attacked. I should have not done that - yet I am tired of seeing this person attacked. In return, I was attacked by four or five people...the snowball effect.

I ended up apologizing publicly to a few - and PMing a few to apologize. Again...I realize I was part of the problem.

So...this is a public apology from at least half of last night's issues. I HATE to see how negative the board has gotten recently. I HATE seeing the same people attack/follow the same individuals. I feel suspensions may help. I have had one in the past...and it cooled my jets quite a bit back then.

Anyway...sorry. Again.
__________________
zoney! is offline  
Old 02-23-2006, 08:53 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
ylimeU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,471
Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
I think we should have more 'time-outs' - maybe 1-2 week suspensions of board access - give them a taste of life without blue crack, so they know that we are watching and bad behavior won't be tolerated. Do it a second time and it is a longer (6 months?) or permanent vacation. More work for you and Sicy unfortunately, but may work as a wake-up call to think more closely about what they post
I think this sounds like a good idea.
__________________

__________________
ylimeU2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com