Heavy Handed Moderating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2SavesTheWorld said:
Why does there seem to be so much confusion about axver? Am I wrong or was he not just temporarily suspended from the tour forum and NOT banned?

Doesn't seem that dramatic to me.

But, most of the things people here seem to completely spaz out about don't seem that dramatic to me.

You are not incorrect on any of your points. :)

Elvis owns this board.

The mods and admins are people who's opinions and attitudes he respects and is comfortable with. Together they decide what is and isn't acceptable here.

We (the registered members) decide whether we can abide by those parameters or not. If we can abide, we stay; if we choose not to abide we are free to leave.

The very fact that this thread is still open (and has been responded to) shows that your view is not being automatically quashed. However, your "suggestion" boils down to "I don't like how this board is being run." You're entitled to your opinion, but the simple fact is, the board is run the way Elvis wants it to be run, and the people chosen as mods and admins are the people he trusts and feels are best suited to the task.

We all know (or should know if we bother to read) that when we register.

Partyslammer said:

I think some people here at least appear to walk on eggshells when it comes to posting for fear of pushing some sort of envelope that might get them "reported."

T.B.

Some people (apparently you) seem to believe that thinking about what you post prior to posting is a major blow to your rights as a human. But I think people should think about what they say before they say it (or post it). Not from any fear (I don't think the fear of being reported is all that strong -- it's only a message board after all, even a banning isn't the end of the world :rolleyes: ), but simply because it would eliminate some of the jaw droppingly stupid comments people can make.

Partyslammer said:

Excellent points. Frankly, I don't think "getting one's feelings hurt" or any kind of objectionable comment up to obvious threats or combative behavior is a reason for someone to be banned or even reprimanded. I think some people here at least appear to walk on eggshells when it comes to posting for fear of pushing some sort of envelope that might get them "reported."

T.B.

:| Right. So people should be allowed insult, curse out, belittle, mock, use racial slurs, etc others. Get real. If people can't be civilized then they can't be here.

I believe all the things I've listed can be considered "combative behavior."

And I can assure you that people do not walk on eggshells here.

WildHoneyAlways said:

And I can assure you that people do not walk on eggshells here.

Sometimes it feels more like a mosh pit. :happy:

(and yes, I've been in mosh pits. I thought (and still do think) they are stupid as all hell.)

indra said:
Elvis owns this board.

The mods and admins are people who's opinions and attitudes he respects and is comfortable with. Together they decide what is and isn't acceptable here.

We (the registered members) decide whether we can abide by those parameters or not. If we can abide, we stay; if we choose not to abide we are free to leave.

You're kidding... I could have sworn a few people told me this was a facist government ruled by a dictator.

What a concept! :wink:

BTW... Indra, I'd like to thank you for being an intelligent human being, the world seems to be in great need of more rationally thinking people. I'm dead serious. No sarcasm.

Joel

Elvis said:

BTW... Indra, I'd like to thank you for being an intelligent human being, the world seems to be in great need of more rationally thinking people. I'm dead serious. No sarcasm.

Joel

:applaud:

We need more Indra's around here :up:

So it's "childish" to report a post? I don't think so, the feature is there for a reason I assume or it would be eliminated. Trust me, I have let so much slide around here that I shouldn't have, so much CHILDISH behavior and rude/offensive things directed personally at me-observing the people who are guilty of it, it's just not worth it to me to even bother. They're not worth it to me. But I'm not going to do that anymore, I'm tired of it. If I feel like someone has crossed the line as I understand the rules around here, I'm going to report it. I don't feel comfortable dealing with it personally w/ the person because in most instances frankly the person scares me. I've been around here enough and long enough to observe people around here and how things work so to speak. I recall a mod here even recently made a journal entry encouraging people to report posts for the stated valid reasons because the mods can't be everywhere.

If people conduct themselves in a reasonable manner around here then they have no reason to be concerned. And no offense, but to say that anyone "walks on eggshells" around here is ludicrous. I don't see that at all. In fact if more people here would exercise some common sense self-control and self-censorship, that would be a great thing.

Last edited:
I honestly can't, for the life of me, figure out what everyone is freaking out about. All Sicy did was give a rude, petulant child a time out to cool off. She has a ton more patience than I do... all the mods do. I had given up participating in most threads because of certain members' persistent hostile and juvenile attitudes that are completely uncalled for.

You mods do a great job. :up:

Hopefully, the mood around here will change for the better...

Partyslammer said:

Frankly, the Interference forums are moving closer and closer to a very close-minded, overly sensitive bunch that borders on fascism. It's almost amusing that the official U2 site has a far more liberal and open minded policy toward varying opinions.

T.B.

A forum that actually puts up with me, is anything but close-minded.

I don't have to much to say but just want to say this, the mods here(especially Sicy) do a brilliant job, they ARE fair with people. If you break a rule, you get what you deserve.

I think some people here are way too sensitive about things (maybe even myself on occasion).

I also don't always agree with the way some things are handled, but that's true about everything in life, so I try to take the approach that unless it's a really important issue, (which an internet message board shouldn't be), it's best to turn the other cheek, move on, and not get caught up in it.

That said, on this board I think in general most things are handled very fairly.

I'm going to throw my wonderful 2 cents in! :happy:

I think the mods do a fantastic job of moderating these boards. The crap that they put up with on here amazes me! They want to do this job because 1. They love U2 and 2. they have created fantastic friendships here. Because they deal with alot of negativity and fights on here doesn't mean that they need to leave. This is what they want to do. I think the mods are fair and respectable and I truly commend them for that especially Sicy. She really does not deserve to get shit on.

I was a member of another board and quite frankly it was the most poorly run site I have ever been on. People insulting each other, talking about other member's families, people being banned but coming back under an alter, etc. etc. Do you really want that to happen here? I certainly don't! I believe if you don't like the rules that are posted here then you are welcome to leave at anytime. No one is forcing you to stay. This is a U2 community where we talk about U2, other things and (sometimes people) make friendships. This is not a site where people have free rein to insult the mods and be disrespectful of other members.

I like the way this whole site is run but some people definitely need to chill out and take a break. If people have issues with each other take it to pm or email each other. The name calling is out of control lately esp with what has happened to the band's family member.

Oh and btw just because you've been here for a year doesn't mean that you know everything. A bunch of people have been here longer than you just so you know. :wink:

Last edited:
I think I have been here long enough to say that the Mods do a GREAT JOB!!! And I personally THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!:bow: :wink: You all deserve a thank you on all your hard work dealing with very unique individuals..

Great posts Indra and Mrs. Springsteen. :up: I think you summed up what would be my points. I will add that I have problem with it when it turns to name calling. I dont mind debating or having different opinions or even arguing and/or sarcasm. But when someone resorts to calling me or anyone else some type of derogatory name they have crossed the line. Its against the board rules and its very disrespectful. Just because you are hiding behind a moniter you shouldnt feel like you can get away with that type of behavior. If most people did it to me in person, they would not get away with it. So if someone does that to me or anyone else here, its against the rules and I will be happy to use the report this post function and I have in the past.

I havent always agreed with everything Elvis or the mods have done here either. But overall, when you consider the hits this site has and number of members on this board, they do an excellent job. This is the best U2 board out there and thats why there are so many members and why it has lasted so long. If they were as arbitrary and ridiculous as some in this thread have made them out to be this board would have gone under years ago.

Last edited:
Partyslammer said:

Frankly, the Interference forums are moving closer and closer to a very close-minded, overly sensitive bunch that borders on fascism.

If you could maybe post links to some examples of when Interference mods have imposed fascism, I'd appreciate that. I'm having a very difficult time even beginning to understand your point because all the bannings and thread closures I've experienced in the past year were right on point.

Oh, and another :up: for Indra.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i think we all, myself included, sometimes take this place a wee bit too seriously.

it is, after all, just an internet message board.

So I shouldn't name my first-born child "Interference?????" :ohmy:

Crap.

:wink:

there are many times i disagree with things that the mods do. does it mean they do a bad job? no. sometimes i just personally would have done something differently, and i have no problem voicing my opinion to them in a diplomatic manner. accepting any type of leadership position, whether it's voluntary or not, brings accountability. as long as the questioning is done maturely, it shouldn't be a problem. this thread seems a little on the insulting side, though.

It's difficult to comprehend there are people out there who can't appreciate the magnitude between a "right" and a "privilege" - Indra touches upon the fact that participation at interference is in actuality a privilige...graciously granted by Elvis.

Furthermore, people need to understand that in a community, any community, a gathering of people with different ideals and cultural mores, balance and homeostasis must be strived for, or else the general community must suffer. The very purpose of setting up interference.com is (I assume) to establish a thriving U2 flavored community, and quite obviously, any action/person responsible for negatively affecting the general balance of our community needs to be addressed.

It is not anybody's exclusive and god given right to exist or communicate here at intereference, and failure to understand these hallowed tenets will but naturally result in a warning/dismissal/suspension/outright ban (relative to the damage caused to the community balance)

these are extremely basic and elementary truisms that I have covered, it would do everybody well to gently recall them whenever posting/reading any said message. Learn to appreciate not only the overall benefit you obviously derive from this site, but also that it exists, and that it's very existance is a privilige that you have been granted.

The 'mods' here at interference, like all 'mods' in place in all aspects of society, do have a thankless job. Vastly different to 'mods' in the world outiside (cops, politicians, teachers et al), there is no finanical gain in this for them. Any 'power trip' you believe is in play, can easily be countered by avoiding this place. So logically where is the actual gain?

community.

we're all here naturally as an extention of our attraction to this community. it needs to be maintained, protected and harvested so that you, dear complainer, can continue to come here and feel comfortable enough to vent your frustrations. The poke in the eye, is that the more this community flourishes, the greater your comfort level in feeling secure in your position here at interference - obviously enough so that you feel comfortable in voicing out your example of an incident of injustice.

tch - the irony of it all.

Sure, we'll just leave all the threads open so people can personally attack each other, disgrace the band, and then the forum can turn to shit. :up:

BrownEyedBoy said:
...Can I just add that I see no reason for threads being closed? Really, sometimes a lot of discussion is lost just because of hasty thread closing.

:reject:

The decision to close a thread isn't hasty. In fact, some thread closures are even discussed by the moderators before they happen. We do our best to be fair while trying to keep the forum running smoothly. For you to call our some of our actions hasty is insulting.

No worries.

I think I've left this thread open long enough. Oh GASP another closed thread.. :ohmy:

If anyone else feels the need to complain about the moderators/moderation here you can direct your complaints to those mods specifically, myself, or Elvis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom