Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:24 AM
Get the games out of Bang and Clatter

As a frequent poster in Bang and Clatter, I have made a few observations lately. Two things are happening in the forum that I feel are hurting it.

1. People are posting incessantly in various 'theme' game threads, such as "song title chain," "band name game," chains about covers songs, and various offshoots.

2. Lots of threads about the same band are being created in duplicate, and threads are being merged or really needing to be merged.

My theory is that all of the game threads are bumping the true 'music discussion' threads off the front page at a pretty quick rate. Thus we end up with 500 different threads for The Killers in about a month's time.

So here's my suggestion. Can we get the game threads out of Bang and Clatter? Perhaps move them to a separate forum for this kind of thing? (Maybe you could even move the chat chain threads out of LS to this forum too.)

A fair number of us are in Bang and Clatter all the time to really talk about music, not just play tons of games and up our post counts. A lot of threads about cool bands are getting bumped into oblivion by these game threads, and I think that's unfortunate considering it is a music discussion forum, not a forum about band names or song titles. And for what it's worth, quite a few people posting in those chain threads hardly ever post in the rest of the forum. It doesn't seem they are there to talk about music with the rest of us.

I would say, however, that the one exception to this would be the 'now listening' thread. I think that thread generates a lot of genuine music discussion. Although I could do without reading five consecutive pages of songs by the same person all the time.

I'm eager to hear what Elvis and the mods think about this, or some kind of compromise.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 05:24 AM
I think this is a really good idea. There really are a lot of 'game' threads in Bang and Clatter, and in many other sections of the forum. Maybe it would be beneficial to actually make some kind of 'game' section of Interference where people can enjoy themselves with these kinds of threads.

HeartlandGirl makes some extremely valid points with everything else she brought up about Bang and Clatter. Hopefully these points will be reviewed and considered.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:24 AM
The games should all go to LS proper.

Melon
Old 02-20-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Re: Get the games out of Bang and Clatter

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
I'm eager to hear what Elvis and the mods think about this, or some kind of compromise.
Presley or Costello?

But seriously, while you do raise some valid points, I think the division between 'theme' game threads and music discussion threads can be quite thin at times. But trying to limit those theme threads a bit (or a bit more active merging of them) couldn't hurt I suppose.

C ya!

Marty
Old 02-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Usually there are two "game" threds in B&C, occasionally a couple more. I don't see any harm in just leaving them there....and I've had as much conversation sparked by songs or bands brought up there as in the "Now listening" threads. Currently only the Song Titles "game" is on the first page. There is a thread about songs with themes, but that's sparking as much discussion as anything.

The perfect way to spark conversation about bands is to start threads about them. Of course, if one starts a thread about a band no one else has ever heard of, it drops pretty fast (which is why I don't start any threads about bands I like).

Furthermore, the people who start the more general interest "who do you like?" threads tend to get jumped on by people who have already seen several of these threads before. Perhaps these are also considered "game" threads? That doesn't encourage people new to either Interference or B&C to continue to post. I'm actually more apt to post in a more general "who do you like", "your five favorite bands", "your top songs ever" than start a thread about Gersey that most likely no one else is going to look at and is going to die quickly.

I just think there are so many forums that to split it up further is just more confusing. Besides, I'd hate to see B&C become as deadly serious and some of the U2 only forums....

Just my view.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

i post on another board where there were insane numbers of game threads (at least twice as many as there are here). it got nuts and the admin added a seperate forum for the games, so i don't have to deal with them (i'm a nerdy moderator of the place's b&c-type space, which is where all the games were, and it was driving me nuts).

i post in the ones here when i'm really bored, but i wouldn't mind seeing them go away. anything that makes room for more band-related (and even if they're band-related threads that get maybe 1 or two posts maximum, that's still better than 3 "song title", "band name" and whatever else threads) is good.

personally, i'd like to see less threads about the killers before anything else, but that's just me.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored

personally, i'd like to see less threads about the killers before anything else, but that's just me.
I could put up a bunch of Art of Fighting, Gersey, Hex, Crystal Set, Bhagavad Guitars, Jack Frost, Margot Smith, JLK, Pugwash, Miss V, Fake, The Refo:mation, The Well, Noctorum, The Penny Drops, David Lane, Turkeyneck Lasso, and Warp Factor 9 threads for ya.

You all would probably be begging for the return of The Killers threads pretty soon....
Old 02-20-2005, 10:35 PM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:24 PM
Maybe it's time to finally make IO the official playground of Interference. Because, after all, even bloody U2 topics are in there now. I say put all games and continuation threads in there and disable post counts. See how popular they all really are.
We only need one playground here anyway.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Maybe it's time to finally make IO the official playground of Interference. Because, after all, even bloody U2 topics are in there now. I say put all games and continuation threads in there and disable post counts. See how popular they all really are.
Oooh! If they went to IO I might start a cheese song thread (replace one word in the title of a song with either the word cheese or the name of a type of cheese. Unfortunately it's usually only really fun in chat when everyone is either drunk or stoned... go figure.).
Old 02-20-2005, 11:11 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:24 AM
I like the idea of putting them somewhere that post counts are disabled.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:14 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I could put up a bunch of Art of Fighting, Gersey, Hex, Crystal Set, Bhagavad Guitars, Jack Frost, Margot Smith, JLK, Pugwash, Miss V, Fake, The Refo:mation, The Well, Noctorum, The Penny Drops, David Lane, Turkeyneck Lasso, and Warp Factor 9 threads for ya.

You all would probably be begging for the return of The Killers threads pretty soon....
no, i certainly wouldn't. because even if i didn't read all your threads, i'd read some of them, and it would still be 30 million threads about 30 millino bands, which is ALWAYS better than 30 millino threads about 1 band (*cough* maybe this is why i never go into the u2 parts of this board... )
Old 02-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
I like the idea of putting them somewhere that post counts are disabled.

seriously. i don't need my count climbing any higher when bordem takes over and i join in listing random bands that start with the letter "s" or whatever...
Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored

(*cough* maybe this is why i never go into the u2 parts of this board... )
Smart girl! Some of those people are scary!

I'm thinking of starting an "orphan" band thread, for those bands (like the ones I listed) which aren't likely to get many (hell, any) replies. Then we can all chat about our favorite bands and they won't get all loney and rejected because no one loves them.... Maybe tomorrow....
Old 02-20-2005, 11:39 PM   #14
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
oh, angie no.

right now io is already like a loved one on life support.

moving all of those threads there would be like pulling the plug.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:51 AM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 06:24 AM
^^I think that was her point