Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #121
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
I actually agree with that last point and I have considered re-opening the spot the difference thread as I dont feel its as much of a 'game thread' as some of the other just post a word or letter game.. those games annoy me.
Yeah, I actually thought that the spot the difference thread was cool...better than just the word game threads.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 07-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:10 PM
I don't see why people would be so pissed about a completely seperate Games Forum? No offence but are they really going to say "How DARE they give us our own forum to do this when I want to put it in the middle of a forum full of musical discussion?!"

Surely it makes sense to keep them all tidied up in one area, and in my opinion it would make the place look tidier!

Old 07-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:10 AM
I'm just wondering--What are the arguments against putting the games in a separate game forum? Why would people be mad about that? Perhaps it's been explained before, but if someone could explain that again, that would be great. As someone who supports a games only forum, I'd like to better understand why there would be opposition to it.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #124
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Personally, I feel we have too many forums as it is. There are already 3 subforums in LS. Making a seperate forum for games/chat would be difficult to moderate as people would constantly be arguing whether or not the thread is a 'chat' or 'game' thread and where it actually belongs, as threads derail all the time and turn into simple chatting back and forth. I can see that lots of times it may be a fine line to which forum it belongs in. Plus I feel like LS would end up being a ghost town with not many topics left to be posted there. Also, some have said that having all the game/chat threads in one forum would take away the 'fun' or something to that effect.

Also.. I cant see moving every single game thread from every forum, all into one forum. So the forum would be mixed up with music games, food games, word games, U2 games, etc. ?

I dont know maybe we need a new poll or something.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
I'm just wondering--What are the arguments against putting the games in a separate game forum? Why would people be mad about that? Perhaps it's been explained before, but if someone could explain that again, that would be great. As someone who supports a games only forum, I'd like to better understand why there would be opposition to it.
'Cause I don't wanna have to scroll through a bunch of food, and other chat threads to get to the music game threads, damn it! Scrolling is hard.

I'd rather see a seperate forum for them than to shut them down totally, but I still can't quite figure what will be in LS without all the chat stuff. I don't really participate in most of the chat/game threads, except in B&C, so where they reside really has no direct bearing on me. I do actually like the music games in B&C though.

Why? Well it's kinda like when the "Bono on Jesus" thread was moved from FYM to the Goal is the Soul...once it got moved to that other forum, it has a different feel, not really one that's welcoming unless you are a believer. The music game/list threads can be interesting because they are frequented by those actually interested in music, not just general chat (which is fine, but isn't all that interesting to me). I fear being put into a games/chat only forum would kill off any interesting posts, because then they would only be frequented by people interested in games not music.

I know that several have posted "what's so interesting about posting the name of a group or musician that begins with the letter G?" comments...well, I know I have thought of say, Peter Gabriel, and it triggers "hey, I love that guy, I think I'll listen to some of his stuff!" and so I do. And that has as much value to me as the "The Decemberists are going to be on Conan tonight" (which was a thread I liked and posted in). And then the name game might trigger me to look into the Style Council next, so the value can continue.

Oh, and one more thing... I'll live no matter what the decision on this is. I have opinions on it, so I'm posting, but if it doesn't go the way I'd like I won't be pissed off at any of you. (How's that for sucking up? )

* edited because I still can't spell shrug the first time out.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well, at least it doesn't sound like anyone would get "mad" about it, per se. I can definitely understand the downsides, though.

Maybe it's still worth a try for a while, like the singles/dating forum. If it doesn't work, things can change back and we're all wiser for it. Perhaps if a subforum is made in LS for games, then we could get rid of the celebrity forum and let people talk about that in LS general again, like it used to be. I realize people are worried about what will be left in LS if the games are gone. To me, I think the games kinda killed the other discussions that used to happen in there. Maybe LS would be revitalized by moving the games, rather than become a graveyard. I can only speak for myself, but when the forum became games/chat oriented, I stopped reading it and posting in it as often.

There are no easy solutions, obviously, but I thank the mods for taking the suggestions into consideration.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:30 PM   #127
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:10 AM
wink simon sez go play in traffic

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Yeah, I actually thought that the spot the difference thread was cool...better than just the word game threads.
What is currently frustrating me is the "I think its cool, so we won't take the hardlined stance that it is a game thread, and we have too many."

I started a game thread ("simon sez") and it wasn't even given the CHANCE to be cool. It was closed even before it could be cool.

IF you (mods) are going to say "no more game threads" - THEN have no more game threads...despite what your opinion of a thread may be.

This would be the only fair thing to do.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:45 PM   #128
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:10 AM
I didnt really consider that one a 'game' thread. I dont see that thread carrying on for 500 replies then then 500 replies then etc. At least it is creative and requires some thought.

Like I said .. no one is EVER GOING TO BE HAPPY so this thread should just be closed
Old 07-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

Like I said .. no one is EVER GOING TO BE HAPPY so this thread should just be closed
Actually... this is my current favorite thread.

I know, I know, I'm a sick puppy....
Old 07-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

That would make for my first locked thread...

But seriously, I think there has been some important discussion in here. There is no way to please everyone, but at least people have been able to come in here and feel that their suggestions are heard and being taken into consideration. I'd like for it to stay open a while longer. Even if there is no good compromise, maybe this thread will let people express what options they prefer, and the mods can try to make the most people happy.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:56 PM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I fear being put into a games/chat only forum would kill off any interesting posts, because then they would only be frequented by people interested in games not music.
THIS, i believe, is the reason for the original post.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

THIS, i believe, is the reason for the original post.
No, I'm pretty sure Heartland Girl wants musical games threads out of B&C. I want them to remain in there. Big difference.

Now I know some will say "well, the people who post in B&C game threads don't post in the rest of B&C." That may be true, but it's entirely possible that many of the people posting in the game threads are getting their feet wet in the forum or are intimidated by those who only want serious discussions on music.
Actually I had some decent discussions (on music) in the band name game/song title games spurred by the various names with people.

I guess I still can't quite get past the idea that if you want different threads than what are currently in B&C start them and keep them going. If others like them too, they will stay on the first or second page.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:31 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
No, I'm pretty sure Heartland Girl wants musical games threads out of B&C.
what i meant was that the games threads are killing the (look out! value judgement!) interesting posts in bang & clatter, making it LESS of a place for music discussion.

Quote:
I want them to remain in there. Big difference.
this makes me sad.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 AM   #134
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

As far as B&C is concerned...I have put a lot of time into creating the Band Index to help out there. I realize people still aren't happy with how B&C is, but just remember that the mods have worked to try to at least improve the situation that so many people complain about. It's not like we've done nothing...and I realize that we haven't been accused of that, but, as Sicy said, it really is a no-win situation. We're just trying to make it as good as we can to please as many people as we can.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 07-15-2005, 11:00 AM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax
The only way a separate forum will work is if we all agree that LS is going to be PURELY for SPECIFIC threads about SPECIFIC subjects. That means that Randoooom/Testje/Octagon Bar threads all go to the new forum, as well as the "Alan Jamison" threads, the deathy/basstrap/"X"-crowd-style threads, the game threads, and probably even the Interferencer picture thread. Don't try to convince me that the "X"-crowd threads are anything more than glorified chat threads, either. They're not stunning, insightful, postmodern works of art. They're chat threads. Nothing wrong with that. But don't try to make it more than what it is. The Octagon Bar, too, is a chat thread, despite the fact that we make intermittent attempts to sustain a "bar" theme. Again, nothing wrong with that.
I would actually disagree here. If people want to write a series of strange threads in LS, then that's fine. But, frankly, I'm tired of LS being nothing more than a forum for post whores.

Trust me. The "'X' crowd" would see a bunch of lock icons if they ever tried to pull the stunts that I see in LS, so there is a difference.

Perhaps the Octagon Bar can be its own forum, and that can be where all the various 500 post threads can go. It would frankly make more cohesive sense than to try and lump it all in one gigantic thread that no one can remotely comprehend after the first 20 pages.

Melon