Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman
thank you khanada
you're welcome

Old 07-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #108
War Child

Local Time: 08:27 AM
oops...my bad. i'm guilty of starting a new "name game" thread in B&C. i guess the game threads never bothered me and i wasn't aware that people got annoyed with them. i'll remember this in the future...
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #109
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by xtihn
oops...my bad. i'm guilty of starting a new "name game" thread in B&C. i guess the game threads never bothered me and i wasn't aware that people got annoyed with them. i'll remember this in the future...
it's okay.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:32 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
you honestly don't think these threads have gotten out of hand? if we hadn't closed the ones we had in LS (now this is assuming they'd all stayed active), we'd have close to ten chat and game threads in LS. this is just my opinion but that is excessive.
No, as you asked, I don't believe the game and chat threads have gotten out of hand.

Quote:

i'm not putting value of one thread over another one. we are saying "no new chat or game threads, please contribute to existing ones." we do the same thing if there are too many coldplay threads in B&C. i don't see how this is any different. does this mean someone's coldplay thread isn't of value if we close it and ask them to post in another one already going? no, it just means we can't have 50 threads about one thing.
I ignore the Coldplay threads. I ignore the game threads. I ignore the chat threads. Two threads discussing the new Coldplay album is different to two game threads where one might be centred around 80s music and the other on 90s music.

Quote:

it seems having a subforum for these kinds of threads isn't going to happen, so we've got to control the number of them for the time being until they die out or whatever, i guess. i personally don't see why there has to be 500 different game threads, i understand there's a different theme to each one yes, but i don't understand why everyone thinks they've just gotta make a new thread for their idea instead of contributing to an existing one.
My view on this is internet forums are like a party. There will be some people dancing, some people in deep and meaningful discussion, some people playing games, some people being silly, and a bunch of drunks. To effectively say to people "No, you cant get the Monopoly game out as the Pictionary game is already in play" isn't the most sociable way. Nor are the drunks making better use of the party than people talking (or vice versa). This site is a sociable site. If it was a U2 only forum there wouldn't be half the amount of sections on is as there is presently. Its all chatter.

Quote:

and there never has been freedom of speech on this forum. we're pretty lax, but you can get in trouble for saying things. that's obviously not freedom of speech. but we're a private entity. this is elvis's forum and i'm just here to help run it as he sees fit.
Point taken. This is not the first time I have forgotten that approach to this particular site.

I have said my peace and thats all I could hope for.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:27 PM
^ I agree with you beli.

I've got "ignore" threads I don't like down pat. It's a very useful skill.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:49 AM   #112
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

the problem we run into is that while you and i can just ignore a new game thread that pops up, some people can't. i'm not singling anyone out or saying that's wrong of them, it's just a difference of opinion.

unfortunately if everything were as simple as "ignore what offends you/you don't like/etc." we wouldn't have to have most of the rules in place that we do. again, to those of you that ARE complaining, i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just saying it's a difference of opinion.

the mods are discussing this to see what we should do about this. should we not put any limits on game threads or should we limit them? and if we do limit them, there will be sticky threads posted in the appropriate forums so people will know instead of just coming to find their thread closed and not knowing why unless they happen to come across another thread explaining why.

so hopefully this will all be resolved soon. i can't guarantee everyone will be happy, but we'll try our best.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:20 AM   #113
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

If we made a game/chat forum and moved all the threads there, people will be pissed.

If we say screw it and leave everything how it is.. and let people start as many game/chat threads as they want, people will be pissed.

If we limit the number of game/chat threads allowed and close new ones, people will be pissed.

Honestly, for real, I have no idea what to do. No matter WHAT happens, there will be people that will be pissed.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:30 AM   #114
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Just my $0.02 USD... (approximately 0.013 pounds sterling or 0.0184 Euro)

I'm not opposed, necessarily, to a separate forum. But the problem is that some people will decide that their threads somehow transcend the "game/chat" label, decide to post them in LS proper, have the mods move them, and then the OPs will get angry/offended. It is a no-win situation for the mods, as Sicy mentioned.

The only way a separate forum will work is if we all agree that LS is going to be PURELY for SPECIFIC threads about SPECIFIC subjects. That means that Randoooom/Testje/Octagon Bar threads all go to the new forum, as well as the "Alan Jamison" threads, the deathy/basstrap/"X"-crowd-style threads, the game threads, and probably even the Interferencer picture thread. Don't try to convince me that the "X"-crowd threads are anything more than glorified chat threads, either. They're not stunning, insightful, postmodern works of art. They're chat threads. Nothing wrong with that. But don't try to make it more than what it is. The Octagon Bar, too, is a chat thread, despite the fact that we make intermittent attempts to sustain a "bar" theme. Again, nothing wrong with that.

What I humbly suggest is that we go to a new LS subforum, on the condition that each of us is man or woman enough to own up to the fact that we create and participate in pointless threads.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:07 AM   #115
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

^ I can agree with just about everything you've said.. though I dont feel the photo thread should be in a chat forum.

The thing is, if all these threads were moved to a new forum, what exactly would be left in Lemonade Stand? Birthday threads? I just dont see making yet another forum in Lemonade Stand. It wouldnt leave much left in the main LS since we now have a TV/Celebrity forum, Music forum and sports forum.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #116
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
The thing is, if all these threads were moved to a new forum, what exactly would be left in Lemonade Stand? Birthday threads? I just dont see making yet another forum in Lemonade Stand. It wouldnt leave much left in the main LS since we now have a TV/Celebrity forum, Music forum and sports forum.
good point. in fact, i think this is what we ran into in the past when this was brought up before. when there's too many subforums then there's no place for just general chit-chat.

on one hand, a subforum seems like the best idea, but on the other it's not a good idea at all for that very reason.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 AM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:27 AM
a lot of the game threads are really silly and aren't really games, they're post-whoring. posting the name of a food item that starts with the same letter that ended the food item in the preceding post. c'mon, hardly a game and as much fun as sticking your tongue in the toaster. maybe i'm just a little annoyed that a proper game, "spot the difference" was closed this morning for a reason that escapes me other than "too many games". gah, it was harmless and a proper game!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #118
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I actually agree with that last point and I have considered re-opening the spot the difference thread as I dont feel its as much of a 'game thread' as some of the other just post a word or letter game.. those games annoy me.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #119
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ewen
a lot of the game threads are really silly and aren't really games, they're post-whoring.
That's why I think a lot of people like them/use them, just to up their post count. Not that there is anything wrong with that necessarily, but still
Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #120
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
^ I can agree with just about everything you've said.. though I dont feel the photo thread should be in a chat forum.

Yeah, that's the only problem with it, I guess.

Well, people do use LS as a sort of Q&A forum (see the many "I need help with my computer"/"what kind of camera should I buy"/etc. threads), plus there's clothes, hobbies, food and drink, travel, website reviews, jokes...a lot of subjects not covered by ZS, B&C, or Put 'Em... that could still go in LS proper yet aren't enough to justify their own forum.

Join Amnesty.
Closed Thread