Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:51 PM
you rock, bc.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:51 PM
You know, I think the index is helping. Gets people thinking about all the different bands out there.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #49
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I've been seeing some semi-older threads come back to life, so I'm glad that people do seem to be using it.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 03-08-2005, 12:18 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Old 03-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

it's great. i love it. i want to marry it and have its babies.

if i see a new killers/interpol/wilco thread, though, i'll divorce it at the drop of a hat.

i won't put up a fuss about paying child support, or anything. i promise.

Old 05-28-2005, 01:06 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

it's not just bang & clatter anymore...

is it just me or are these games wreaking havoc all over this forum? i'll admit, i don't mind the song title chain one so much, and at the beginning the band name game was kinda fun, but now it's just madness...

the song title chain, the band name game, the 80's band name game, the describe you game, the U2 song game, the U2 abbreviation game, the food name game ( ) - what's next? the world religions name game in FYM??!?!

i find it ridiculous that there are some people that come here solely to play these games and don't really contribute a lot to the whole community. i mean if you want to play games, aren't there other sites for that???

sorry, i guess i don't have any suggestions for a solution, short of creating a separate forum for games and people can go in there and postwhore 'til their hearts content. it's just, IMO, the whole situation with the games has gotten worse since the original posting by HG.

[/rant]
Old 05-28-2005, 07:40 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 PM
I dunno. I don't know what can be done about them. I'm personally annoyed by them and have been for a very long time. Maybe a new subforum, so we don't have to see these threads anymore?

Melon
Old 05-28-2005, 05:31 PM   #54
She's the One

Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

i find it ridiculous that there are some people that come here solely to play these games and don't really contribute a lot to the whole community.
This bugs me too. I mean, I'll postwhore if I have to, but at least I'm a fan of the band. The people that only post in the game threads are annoying indeed.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #55
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Old 06-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:51 PM
Liz, you are a superstar.

And I take back what I originally said about the Now Listening thread being a catalyst for relevant music discussion. That thread has also been taken over--one of the last times it reached 500 posts, the same person had around 250 of them. What a waste! Who wants to read that? There's no way to keep up with what people are listening to or talk about it when the thread recycles so quickly. Not that there's anything to talk about when one or two people are posting a new post every time for 'Now I'm listening to Beautiful Day. Now Stuck. Now Elevation. Now Walk On. Now Kite.' Just say you're listening to the album and go post somewhere else for a while!

That being said, I only complain because I love Bang and Clatter. I owe a lot of friends and a lot of CD purchases to that crazy little forum. I just want it to be the haven for music fans that it's meant to be.

And if the mods would like help monitoring the five new Coldplay or Oasis threads that are appearing daily, let me know. I'm in Bang and Clatter all the time, and I would love to offer my services as a mod for that area. I would also be happy to help with the band index and trying to get people to use it. Just trying to put my money where my mouth is and see if there's anything I can do to help.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #57
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Old 06-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
And I take back what I originally said about the Now Listening thread being a catalyst for relevant music discussion. That thread has also been taken over--one of the last times it reached 500 posts, the same person had around 250 of them. What a waste! Who wants to read that? There's no way to keep up with what people are listening to or talk about it when the thread recycles so quickly. Not that there's anything to talk about when one or two people are posting a new post every time for 'Now I'm listening to Beautiful Day. Now Stuck. Now Elevation. Now Walk On. Now Kite.' Just say you're listening to the album and go post somewhere else for a while!

Good god, it's one lousy thread, what's the big deal? It's really easy to skip if you don't want to read it.

I'm astonished that people like to bitch so much about a one little thread. If someone wants to post every single song they listen to all day what harm does that do? Nothing prevents anyone from starting discussion threads about various bands, musical genres, or any other aspect of music or the music industry. So if you want to see these types of threads start them.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #59
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
i wasn't going to say anything at first but i have to. i really don't appreciate what you're insinuating here. does it really bother you that much that i post in there a lot? there are tons of threads that reach 500 posts just as quickly. what does it matter if the thread is there? there's never more than one active "now playing" thread at a time, so it takes up just ONE line on your screen. just scroll past it.

if one or two people are posting what they're playing, then there's still plenty of room to discuss a song. what're you going to say next? that you can't discuss in the thread because you don't like the songs people post?

Quote:
And if the mods would like help monitoring the five new Coldplay or Oasis threads that are appearing daily, let me know. I'm in Bang and Clatter all the time, and I would love to offer my services as a mod for that area. I would also be happy to help with the band index and trying to get people to use it. Just trying to put my money where my mouth is and see if there's anything I can do to help.
i really honestly can't believe this. you post a complaint like this about a mod (who mods that forum, no less) and then you actually volunteer yourself to help mod? if we need any more mods it will be posted and/or people will be contacted privately. i was offended enough by the first part of your post, but this just put it right over the top.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:15 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:51 PM
Really, there's nothing to be offended about. My point was this, and perhaps I didn't state it clearly enough.

It's obvious from this thread that there are people who don't like the 'chat' threads and the 'game' threads. I just wanted to add that the Now Listening thread has changed from a thread I was able to read and keep up with daily to a thread with so many posts that it's impossible to keep up with now. There are several people who have gotten really excited about that thread and started posting in it a lot. Many of these people post there and not the rest of Bang and Clatter. All I am saying is that the barrage of posts has changed the complexion of the thread. A lot of the people who used to post in it and discuss music all the time no longer post there. It's not a change I'm happy with, so I thought I'd mention that here in the suggestion forum.

That is not to say that all my suggestions are great. I'm just adding support to what some other people around here are saying, too. A lot of the chat and game threads seem to be killing genuine discussion by being so huge and unmanageable compared to what they once were. They also bump the more discussion-oriented threads off the front page into oblivion. I start quite a few of them, so I know how quickly they fall away. I'm happy to bump them, but maybe fewer novelty threads would result in less bumping.

I am more than aware that the Now Listening thread is only one line on the page, and it had already occurred to me to skip it when I read Bang and Clatter. What I am talking about is the way that the whole spirit of the thread has changed. And no, I'm not going to start saying that I can't discuss music in the thread because I don't like the songs people are listening to. That's ridiculous. Again, it is the fact that the thread moves so quickly now and doesn't have as much variety that lends it to being less likely to spark discussion.

I'm sorry if I've offended you by offering to help out with the band index or the subforum in general. It wasn't meant to be a slam against any of the mods who work there. That forum has been a lot busier since the U2 album came out, and I know that BC has said she doesn't have as much Internet access as before. I was just trying to help out, not displace any of the current mods or usurp their power to make the forum into what I want it to be.

This is a forum for suggestions. I tried to state mine in a way that explained why I wish certain things were different around here. I'm sorry that I mentioned the person who posted 250 times out of 500, but that was meant to show the lack of diversity in the thread, not to personally attack anyone. It hasn't just always been one person anyway.