Get the games out of Bang and Clatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sicy said:
Wow for some of you that 'dislike' this board so much you sure are adamant about changing things.

About the game and chat threads.. personally I feel that if they were all in one forum, it would kind of defeat the purpose. I cant imagine people playing a music game thread in IO or a forum just for those kinds of threads :der: Each forum has a subject and serves a purpose.. and the game and chat threads pretty much fit into those specific forums. Plus I do believe we've had this discussion before about making a forum just for threads like these and I dont think it went over very well.

As for your first comment.... lol... I noticed the same thing.

And.. you're right... we've already discussed this previously and we decided against it for the reasons you already mentioned.

Getting back to the original topic, I think it would be great if we could keep "Bang and Clatter" as more of a serious music forum.

Seeing the general scope of LS, we could move the musical game threads to LS. I must admit that I'm generally annoyed by all these monstrously large threads that really have no point, but since LS is meant to be kind of an "anything goes" forum, perhaps those game threads would have a better home there.

Melon

LS is already cluttered with long threads - describe, randoooom, testje, and that bar is 4 already, are a few more really going to hurt?

oh, and if i don't use the :bump: smiley, and something falls to page 5 faster than a boulder to the bottom of the ocean, i can atleast delude myself into thinking that people just missed it. i bump and it gets ignored again, then i have no choice but to think that people around here really don't give a shit about my favorite bands.

last thing - it's not that i hate this place, i just hate some of the people :wink: (and if someone reading this thinks i hate them, relax- it's probably not you, and if it is...why really care anyway? chances are you hate me too).

IWasBored said:
last thing - it's not that i hate this place, i just hate some of the people :wink:
it's indeed difficult to hate webspace yes
about as difficult as ti is easy to hate wankers

IWasBored said:
i bump and it gets ignored again, then i have no choice but to think that people around here really don't give a shit about my favorite bands.

i'm not saying this to rile you up, IWB. i've always respected and liked you as a poster, but that statement seems to be taking it just a bit too personally.

i looked at one of the threads you're talking about. the one you said took twelve hours to sink to page two. i saw that it was about some pretty agressive bands - which are not really my thing - so i read your review, chuckled to myself at the excessive use of the word "fuck" and then moved on.

it wasn't that i didn't "give a shit."

i just didn't have anything to contribute. simple as that.

bonosgirl84 said:

I think that's often the case for many people.

IWasBored said:
last thing - it's not that i hate this place, i just hate some of the people :wink: (and if someone reading this thinks i hate them, relax- it's probably not you, and if it is...why really care anyway? chances are you hate me too).

Ack!! That sounds like every job I've ever had...I enjoyed the job, I just hated the people! :mad: :rolleyes:

Sicy said:
Ok help me out here.. I only see maybe 2 game threads in B&C right now and I dont really see any threads that need to be merged? :confused:

The number of games and game-type threads varies from time to time. Sometimes there's one on the front page. I remember once when there were four or five, including two versions of the same game. Right now there are three.

The merging problems also come and go. Mofo and I were talking about it--it's not so much that there are three threads about The Killers all on the front page, it's that there is a new Killers (or whatever band) thread every week, it seems. Even one of the mods started a new 'music list' thread when we already had one just a page or two back. I guess for those of us who spend the majority of our interference time in B and C, we notice a lot more when threads about the same topics or bands get started over and over. But a lot of the oldbies are good about finding those threads and trying to keep all the discussion about a particular band or album all in one spot for easy reference. For example, rather than separate threads to discuss the release date of the new Tori Amos album, her book, the album coming out, the tour, and so on, those of us who are fans of hers have kept all such discussion in the same thread, even when it meant going back a few pages to find the Tori thread. Keeps things a lot easier to follow.

And I got your PM, Sicy. There was no need to worry, but thanks for letting me know anyway. :)

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:

i'm not saying this to rile you up, IWB. i've always respected and liked you as a poster, but that statement seems to be taking it just a bit too personally.

i looked at one of the threads you're talking about. the one you said took twelve hours to sink to page two. i saw that it was about some pretty agressive bands - which are not really my thing - so i read your review, chuckled to myself at the excessive use of the word "fuck" and then moved on.

it's understandable that a lot of people aren't going to care about hardcore music here, it's a u2 board.

yeah, i do tend to take it a little too personally. hell, i know when my threads don't go completly ignored, that's what the number of times read statistic is there for. so 7 or 8 people (not counting the times i had to go back and edit the overly atrocious spelling mistakes) did look at it.

what i do take personally is that i get the impression that 90% of the time people don't bother with my threads because i generally am talking about either more aggressive stuff, or that people have read some of my threads in the past or scrolled past my "now listening" posts and have a general idea of what i listen to, which they're willing to write off completly as being something they're not into. from that last thread in particular, i was hoping someone might check out the dirty water (which is far less abrasive, i really don't expect anyone around here to fall in love with ramallah or anything!) links and tell me that i have shitty taste in music or it's cool or whatever.

but it's a message board and i should probably be shot for taking anything personally/seriously.

haha, did i really use "fuck" that much?

Last edited:
Anyone ever thought of doing a band index for B&C? It could be stickied at the top of the page and people could see if someone had already posted a thread on a particular artist before.

I know, it would probably be a nightmare for the poor soul who tried to do it, but if you have a masochist on staff....:wink:

B&C is heaven compared to LS. That place is 90% bogged down with various game/chat threads. It makes it very hard to navigate, which is why I tend to do a search before ever starting a thread there.

indra said:
Anyone ever thought of doing a band index for B&C? It could be stickied at the top of the page and people could see if someone had already posted a thread on a particular artist before.

I know, it would probably be a nightmare for the poor soul who tried to do it, but if you have a masochist on staff....:wink:

:hmm:

You know, I think the index is helping. Gets people thinking about all the different bands out there.

I've been seeing some semi-older threads come back to life, so I'm glad that people do seem to be using it. :)

it's great. i love it. i want to marry it and have its babies.

if i see a new killers/interpol/wilco thread, though, i'll divorce it at the drop of a hat.

i won't put up a fuss about paying child support, or anything. i promise.

:p

it's not just bang & clatter anymore...

is it just me or are these games wreaking havoc all over this forum? i'll admit, i don't mind the song title chain one so much, and at the beginning the band name game was kinda fun, but now it's just madness...

the song title chain, the band name game, the 80's band name game, the describe you game, the U2 song game, the U2 abbreviation game, the food name game ( :eyebrow: ) - what's next? the world religions name game in FYM??!?! :crazy:

i find it ridiculous that there are some people that come here solely to play these games and don't really contribute a lot to the whole community. i mean if you want to play games, aren't there other sites for that???

sorry, i guess i don't have any suggestions for a solution, short of creating a separate forum for games and people can go in there and postwhore 'til their hearts content. :shrug: it's just, IMO, the whole situation with the games has gotten worse since the original posting by HG.

[/rant]

I dunno. I don't know what can be done about them. I'm personally annoyed by them and have been for a very long time. Maybe a new subforum, so we don't have to see these threads anymore? :huh:

Melon

Last edited:
lmjhitman said:

i find it ridiculous that there are some people that come here solely to play these games and don't really contribute a lot to the whole community.

This bugs me too. I mean, I'll postwhore if I have to, but at least I'm a fan of the band. The people that only post in the game threads are annoying indeed.

Liz, you are a superstar. :up:

And I take back what I originally said about the Now Listening thread being a catalyst for relevant music discussion. That thread has also been taken over--one of the last times it reached 500 posts, the same person had around 250 of them. What a waste! Who wants to read that? There's no way to keep up with what people are listening to or talk about it when the thread recycles so quickly. Not that there's anything to talk about when one or two people are posting a new post every time for 'Now I'm listening to Beautiful Day. Now Stuck. Now Elevation. Now Walk On. Now Kite.' Just say you're listening to the album and go post somewhere else for a while!

That being said, I only complain because I love Bang and Clatter. I owe a lot of friends and a lot of CD purchases to that crazy little forum. I just want it to be the haven for music fans that it's meant to be.

And if the mods would like help monitoring the five new Coldplay or Oasis threads that are appearing daily, let me know. I'm in Bang and Clatter all the time, and I would love to offer my services as a mod for that area. I would also be happy to help with the band index and trying to get people to use it. Just trying to put my money where my mouth is and see if there's anything I can do to help.

Last edited:
HeartlandGirl said:
And I take back what I originally said about the Now Listening thread being a catalyst for relevant music discussion. That thread has also been taken over--one of the last times it reached 500 posts, the same person had around 250 of them. What a waste! Who wants to read that? There's no way to keep up with what people are listening to or talk about it when the thread recycles so quickly. Not that there's anything to talk about when one or two people are posting a new post every time for 'Now I'm listening to Beautiful Day. Now Stuck. Now Elevation. Now Walk On. Now Kite.' Just say you're listening to the album and go post somewhere else for a while!

Good god, it's one lousy thread, what's the big deal? :huh: It's really easy to skip if you don't want to read it.

I'm astonished that people like to bitch so much about a one little thread. If someone wants to post every single song they listen to all day what harm does that do? Nothing prevents anyone from starting discussion threads about various bands, musical genres, or any other aspect of music or the music industry. So if you want to see these types of threads start them. :shrug:

HeartlandGirl said:
i wasn't going to say anything at first but i have to. i really don't appreciate what you're insinuating here. does it really bother you that much that i post in there a lot? there are tons of threads that reach 500 posts just as quickly. what does it matter if the thread is there? there's never more than one active "now playing" thread at a time, so it takes up just ONE line on your screen. just scroll past it.

if one or two people are posting what they're playing, then there's still plenty of room to discuss a song. what're you going to say next? that you can't discuss in the thread because you don't like the songs people post?

HeartlandGirl said:
And if the mods would like help monitoring the five new Coldplay or Oasis threads that are appearing daily, let me know. I'm in Bang and Clatter all the time, and I would love to offer my services as a mod for that area. I would also be happy to help with the band index and trying to get people to use it. Just trying to put my money where my mouth is and see if there's anything I can do to help.
i really honestly can't believe this. you post a complaint like this about a mod (who mods that forum, no less) and then you actually volunteer yourself to help mod? if we need any more mods it will be posted and/or people will be contacted privately. i was offended enough by the first part of your post, but this just put it right over the top.

Really, there's nothing to be offended about. My point was this, and perhaps I didn't state it clearly enough.

It's obvious from this thread that there are people who don't like the 'chat' threads and the 'game' threads. I just wanted to add that the Now Listening thread has changed from a thread I was able to read and keep up with daily to a thread with so many posts that it's impossible to keep up with now. There are several people who have gotten really excited about that thread and started posting in it a lot. Many of these people post there and not the rest of Bang and Clatter. All I am saying is that the barrage of posts has changed the complexion of the thread. A lot of the people who used to post in it and discuss music all the time no longer post there. It's not a change I'm happy with, so I thought I'd mention that here in the suggestion forum.

That is not to say that all my suggestions are great. I'm just adding support to what some other people around here are saying, too. A lot of the chat and game threads seem to be killing genuine discussion by being so huge and unmanageable compared to what they once were. They also bump the more discussion-oriented threads off the front page into oblivion. I start quite a few of them, so I know how quickly they fall away. I'm happy to bump them, but maybe fewer novelty threads would result in less bumping.

I am more than aware that the Now Listening thread is only one line on the page, and it had already occurred to me to skip it when I read Bang and Clatter. What I am talking about is the way that the whole spirit of the thread has changed. And no, I'm not going to start saying that I can't discuss music in the thread because I don't like the songs people are listening to. That's ridiculous. Again, it is the fact that the thread moves so quickly now and doesn't have as much variety that lends it to being less likely to spark discussion.

I'm sorry if I've offended you by offering to help out with the band index or the subforum in general. It wasn't meant to be a slam against any of the mods who work there. That forum has been a lot busier since the U2 album came out, and I know that BC has said she doesn't have as much Internet access as before. I was just trying to help out, not displace any of the current mods or usurp their power to make the forum into what I want it to be.

This is a forum for suggestions. I tried to state mine in a way that explained why I wish certain things were different around here. I'm sorry that I mentioned the person who posted 250 times out of 500, but that was meant to show the lack of diversity in the thread, not to personally attack anyone. It hasn't just always been one person anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom