Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #136
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Maybe, Melon, people post in the "500" threads because they like the community and have fun, and not because they're postwhoring.

The way you and some other people are approaching this issue makes it out like LS is some sacred, wondrous forum that was once the discussion board equivalent of the Sistine Chapel and has been turned into a Wal-Mart. I've been posting here for going on four years, and I don't remember LS EVER being without some silly or pointless threads.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:32 AM
It's certainly not a case of the Sistine Chapel becoming a Wal-Mart, but the overall feel of the forum has certainly changed, and many would say, degraded, as a result of the growing number of chat/game threads. And not just LS, but other forums as well.

And I'm curious as to where the name 'X-Crowd' came from.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #138
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
It's certainly not a case of the Sistine Chapel becoming a Wal-Mart, but the overall feel of the forum has certainly changed, and many would say, degraded, as a result of the growing number of chat/game threads. And not just LS, but other forums as well.

And I'm curious as to where the name 'X-Crowd' came from.
I agree with you to an extent, HG. The feel of the forum has certainly changed. But I think it has to do with an overall lack of respect, attention-seeking, and simple ignorance that does it, not game/chat threads in and of themselves.

We can't pretend that we somehow have a "right" to a forum that exists in a pristine, supremely intelligent form 24/7. There will always be some silliness, some pointlessness, as I said. Ultimately we're all free to go elsewhere, as some folks have, including myself from time to time.

I agree with closing down threads that have become completely pointless, threads that degenerate into rudeness, unkindness, etc. But post-whoring isn't against the rules, and it doesn't really hurt anyone; furthermore, what seems like "postwhoring" to one person may simply be a lot of posts in one thread to another. Who's going to uphold that kind of standard? The mods here don't have time and shouldn't have to. God forbid we start asking the mods to differentiate between "chatting," "playing a game," and "postwhoring." They'd lose their minds. It shouldn't be expected of them.

People here at Interference should, I think, expect a respectful environment free of harassment and cruelty. But I don't think anyone can expect to never be annoyed.

I'm not at liberty to speak about the "X crowd," I don't think.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

what i meant was that the games threads are killing the (look out! value judgement!) interesting posts in bang & clatter, making it LESS of a place for music discussion.

this makes me sad.
Why? Why does what I like make you sad? Is it that you now think I'm stupid because I like some of the music game threads?

I have had as many discussions in Now Playing or song title threads as I have in other music threads, because the people in there are interested in discussing what they are listening to. Usually I can find some song to comment on or discuss in one of the chain threads, whereas I might find none of the single band threads interesting at all in a particular timeframe. I think what you get out of any thread in that forum is what you are willing to put into it.

I can be as inspired by reading the title of a long forgotten song as I am by a complete album review. Just depends on my mood at the time.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Yeah, I actually thought that the spot the difference thread was cool...better than just the word game threads.
see it's a shame that good game threads are being closed because other game threads (the lame name game threads) were created first

i still havent seen a valid reason why a forum for games/chat threads couldnt be created. the only reason against it i have seen has been there are too many forums already. well i think it was about time some of the forums got consolidated anyway.

EYKIW is basically a forum of name games/appreciation threads/and 90's vs current U2 threads. It's turning into a wasteland itself. I don't see why we need a forum just to discuss the lyrics, or the faith, or U2 books. Every Artist is a Cannibal..., The Goal is Soul, and It's a musical Journey are all dead forums anyway, maybe if they all just got consolidated into the general U2 forum EYKIW it would create more discussion for these topics as well as revitalize EYKIW.

Also, I also still don't understand why Three Chords and the Truth and EBTTRT were split into 2 seperate forums. I think they should definitely be merged back together.

So these few changes would make plenty of room for a forum for games and chats galore and everybody would be happy.

Oh you could also delete Pleba too.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I would actually disagree here. If people want to write a series of strange threads in LS, then that's fine. But, frankly, I'm tired of LS being nothing more than a forum for post whores.

Melon
What does it hurt you? Honestly. What the fuck do you care what other people do? That's what I don't get.

I expected better from you.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

Really? Just because you don't like the forum doesn't mean it needs to be deleted. Don't go in there!

We all post whore and don't say ya'll don't. Some of you guys like to talk and chat in the threads too. How about we erase the sports thread or the zoo station thread and keep the tour forum threads and that's it? That forum is a nightmare with people bickering left and right. I go to pleba so I don't have to deal with such nastiness that occurs in the other threads.

Some of the threads have turned into an all out war against people. It's kind of sad really.

I'm kind of disgusted really that it's become like this.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978

Really? Just because you don't like the forum doesn't mean it needs to be deleted. Don't go in there!
that was a joke, i guess i should have put a after it
Old 07-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

Old 07-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Maybe, Melon, people post in the "500" threads because they like the community and have fun, and not because they're postwhoring.

The way you and some other people are approaching this issue makes it out like LS is some sacred, wondrous forum that was once the discussion board equivalent of the Sistine Chapel and has been turned into a Wal-Mart. I've been posting here for going on four years, and I don't remember LS EVER being without some silly or pointless threads.
While we're at it, why don't we merge PLEBA with EYKIW? It's all about U2, isn't it?

The problem with LS is that it has definitely developed a PLEBA-like dynamic. I'm not going to say that's good or bad. That's up to people to decide. I like how you presume that these game threads are defiling a "sacred" forum. Your words, not mine.

Basically, I don't know why people are objecting to making a separate forum. We have a separate forum for music lovers and TV/film lovers. Why not merge those two into LS? Because we've identified specific topics that, while relevant to the LS dynamic, there's enough "chatter" to warrant a subforum.

So we have a large group of people who like to run up 500 posts of anything and nothing, so why *not* create a game forum? Because we have "too many forums"? I don't buy that, really. That hasn't stopped us from creating more forums before, and one more forum isn't going to bust the MySQL. And if people get tired of the games eventually? Well, just as easily as these forums can be created, they can be deleted too.

Just as the "X crowd" can be accused of snobbery, I think it's snobbery to presume that everyone is interested in reading what amounts to a bunch of public PMs, while other threads end up on the second page perhaps prematurely.

Anyway, I don't want this to be interpreted as a "fight." I, frankly, find this subject to be too trivial to hold grudges or to hate anyone over it. I just think we should seriously consider a separate subforum so that everyone can be happy. I really cannot see why those who love the game and chat threads would object to having their own subforum.

Melon
Old 07-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
X
Old 07-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Well said as usual, melon.

I gotta say, I think a subforum is worth a trial run.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Why? Why does what I like make you sad? Is it that you now think I'm stupid because I like some of the music game threads?
oh come on, indra. you know full well that i did not call you, or anyone else stupid. please don't make assumptions about what i think.

it makes me sad for the same reasons that it makes me sad to hear that someone likes britney spears' music. why listen to something so empty and vacuous when you could be enjoying something so much more relevant and substantive? and don't think i don't know that this makes me sound like an elitist snob, or that it ascribes more importance to LS or B&C than there really ought to be. i am all about fun threads, but even the threads that i think are fun have more going for them than describing or posting the names of foods.
Quote:
I have had as many discussions in Now Playing or song title threads as I have in other music threads, because the people in there are interested in discussing what they are listening to.
so have i, i completely agree with you here. and you'll see that i haven't stopped posting in the 'now playing' thread. like i said before, i enjoy seeing what people are listening to, and if it generates discussion - even better. this is what i posted earlier in this thread:
Quote:
the thing that really irks me is seeing someone post a new song literally every minute (which is something i have seen in the last little while). now if the songs that person is listening to are in fact, one minute long, then i'll shut up. but i'm pretty sure that's not the case. so that leads me to believe that someone is blatantly spamming the thread, defeating the purpose of the thread and the bang & clatter forum - which is for music DISCUSSION. obviously if a person is posting song titles as fast as flood control will allow, he/she is not interested in discussing anything, and is just using the thread to postwhore. so yeah, i have a problem with that.
i guess all i'm really saying is that, for the short time that i've been registered, i've enjoyed coming here. i haven't had a problem with scrolling past and ignoring threads that don't interest me. but i'm now finding that there are more and more of these threads, and most of them are game threads. sure, i could start threads that i might find interesting, only to have them drop into oblivion where i and no one else will find them, due to the sheer number of game threads. and if those threads keep multiplying as they have been of late, there will just be more threads to ignore. taken to its logical conclusion, i'll have to ignore LS and B&C . and then, i'll just have to find somewhere else altogther to post.

and on that last point, please hold your applause until i have exited this thread. thanks.

holy crap. that was long-winded!

ah well, in honour of cujo.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #149
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
I gotta say, I think a subforum is worth a trial run.
To be perfectly honest, it would be a lot of work and I dont feel like doing it because I dont think it would solve anything or make anyone any more or less happy. So we create a subforum, move a million threads there and not just from LS but from all over this forum since there are game/chat threads in multiple forums. And then if it doesnt work? Have to move all the threads back, into each specific forum that they belong to. I just feel like it would be a waste of time, energy, and throbbing headaches to please a few people. Because either way, there will be people that wont be happy.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:32 PM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
And then if it doesnt work? Have to move all the threads back, into each specific forum that they belong to.
Why would you have to do that? Just delete them completely, at that point, or dump them all in the Lemonade Stand Archive. And I'm sure that, if it came up to that, the usual suspects who are creating the threads now would resurrect them themselves in the appropriate forum accordingly.

Just a thought. I know that the decision to create a subforum or not is fully up to you guys, not me.

Melon