Gender on the module

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
This could be seen as trivial, I suppose, but I think having gender listed alongside location and all that good stuff on the left would be a good thing. Countless times I've been in a situation where I'd like to address someone or say something gender specific but I have nothing to go on unless "guy" or "gal" is in the name somewhere. Aardvark747 thought I was a woman, for one :huh:

Does anyone have any feelings on this, or is most everyone just indifferent to it? I can't see anyone being opposed, but if no one really gives a rat's ass I guess it's not that big of a deal.

It's kind of fun to guess gender via the posts. After a time, you get a pretty good inkling. There are a couple I haven't been able to figure out.:reject: I like the guessing and the humbling of being totally wrong. It makes you rethink your own prejudgments. Besides, sometimes I think there can be the danger of an unintended bias of a reader toward a poster because of gender.

It's fun to guess, but not so fun when people go on and on thinking you're a man when you're not. Before I made an avatar of a female gymnast, most people besides my friends assumed I'm a guy :huh: I think it's fine being in profiles, but it might be helpful on posts too, if it's not too hard to setup.

Some people still think I'm a greying bearded guy. :rolleyes:

could be worse I guess. Actually, I don't think I have my gender even noted in my profile. Fun to keep 'em guessing. :wink:

maybe gender and age would be interesting?

sometimes i wonder if people think i'm a 30 year old man. but i doubt anyone does.

so :shrug:. i suppose it could be made an optional thing?

I'd support Inmyplace13's idea.

I can understand Bonossaint's concerns about prejudices over gender but if it were optional like youtooellen suggests then this would help people who have concerns over this.

And whilst I agree it is fun to guess in your head but then your 'guesses' can become entrenched in your head as 'fact' and it might creep into your posts which could lead to some people being slightly offended. If that makes sense.

And, yeah, most of my preconceptions about posters are based primarily on not so much what they write but, ironically, what they choose as their advator!

Sorry it took me so long to find this thread inmyplace!

inmyplace13 said:
I have nothing to go on unless "guy" or "gal" is in the name somewhere.

Well, I'm Bonochick at the Ryan Adams board also, and someone there thought I was a guy. :crack: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom