Flood control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
Is there a way to put some kind of flood control on the journals?

A few members here literally post one a minute until they flood the whole list. If anyone wants to read their friends journals, we have to dig through endless lists of someone's "I changed my socks." "I changed my socks again." "I think I will wear no socks."

Considering the sever problems Interference has had, this is especially wasteful of space. :down:

indeed

this is not cool

she should stop doing this

and i bet no one reads it

We actually currently have no RULES concerning this type of thing in Journals. They are to be used for personal journals as a first priority... other's reading them comes second. Please keep in mind that journals are NOT intended to serve as forum threads and that different rules apply.

And if someone is going to make us look at reams of really bad entries they should expect someone to finally comment and not start badmouthing folk. :|

I really think you folks miss the intention of the Journals.

Journals are not about quality, nor are they about amusing/entertaining others.

I could as easily remove all of the journal stats all together, and then the only way you'd be able to find someone's journal waas via their profile or a post they have made. Journals and the stats are an added feature for each member.

I didn't mean anything insulting, or even anything such as you are implying, Elvis.

Actually, I'm not even sure WHAT I (or anyone said) that you didn't like. Especially given the consensus my post received.

I think we all know what the point of the journals is. I like reading everyone's journal. And I, nor anyone, can really do that when a few people are literally monopolizing the feature.

We know they're not the same as threads. But you don't allow multiple threads on one topic, you merge them. You don't allow a spin-off of a closed thread. Was my suggestion really that different?

It's a great feature and I love that you have offered it here on Interference. We all do. I know we all appreciate the freedom that we're given with them. I was seriously thinking of the server space. I recall the journals having to be off-line for several days because of the overload. That was only a month ago. But certainly, what the server can take is no business of mine.

I apologize for having caused any offense or problems with my post. I didn't really think I was suggesting something that offensive.

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:
If anyone wants to read their friends journals, we have to dig through endless lists of someone's "I changed my socks." "I changed my socks again." "I think I will wear no socks."

hahahaha. the journals have always been about nonsense.

now you want them moderated? Ugh. I agree with Elvis on this one.

no one said anything about moderating them.

we just wanted to call attention/possibly do something about isabelle_guns' obsessive copy and paste bullshit that is clogging up the entire list of recent entries.

Wow... nice attitude.

I believe she explained legitimately why she did that, as she did not have access to a computer/net/interference. Just because she doesn't use it exactly as you do, does not mean she is using the feature wrong.

Infact, I am quite excited that people are using the Journals for real journalling, instead of some other random "bullshit" or for personal conversations, which they are not intended for.

if they are not for people to read in the first place, why do they exist?

oh and another question about my journal which i might as well post here

the dancer in my avatar isnt in my journal

its still the duck

:(

You have to post again for it to change in the journal... I believe.

And yes.. journals are to be read... but they arent like threads. I've explained their intent.

presently the journals page lists more than 5 days worth of entries. why is this not sufficient? just read the journals every 5 days and you wont miss a beat of anyones typed life. or bookmark youre favourites.

it seems to me that a mountain is being made to be a molehill.

furthermore, i sound like i am 89 years old by using such phrasology.

not to me

does it really bounce for you?

weird ..........

Elvis said:
Infact, I am quite excited that people are using the Journals for real journalling, instead of some other random "bullshit" or for personal conversations, which they are not intended for.

elvis

can you tell me what your definition of "real journalling" is, please?

bonosgirl84 said:

elvis

can you tell me what your definition of "real journalling" is, please?

It's not about what journals are for, its about what they are not for -- that is what i have a issue with.

Journals should be used for:

a record of events, observations, personal activities, reflections, feelings, etc --- sort of like a diary, and/or in some cases a weblog.

Personal attacks, slander, idle conversation, etc are not what they should be used for.

Does that answer your question?

Back
Top Bottom