Editing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
Any chance that the editing time of 60 minutes can be extended? I sometimes read a post I had written the day before and notice that I hadn't written it very clearly, which really bugs me, and I want to edit it, but can't. Most bulletin boards I've posted on allow weeks or years to edit posts, I think it'd be great if we could extend the time here. Why is it only 60 minutes, anyway?

I believe the time limit to edit posts is there to prevent people from editing/deleting their posts which causes the rest of the thread to not make any sense anymore

Yes it was decided by Elvis months ago to change the time to 60 min. as we had people going back to edit their posts days later, to either delete bad things they said ( to try to get out of getting in trouble :p ) or totally editing their posts so that the rest of the thread makes no sense.

I would just suggest reading your post very carefully before you hit submit.

i would, so long as i was a mod in that forum! sometimes people have forgotten (or couldn't if they're not premium) to add a poll to their thread in eykiw, so i go and create one and merge it with their thread. i've never had anyone request me to edit their post though. :wave:

Salome said:
if it doesn't mess up the rest of the thread - definately
yeah, forgot to mention that. if someone's wanting to edit for clarity's sake, or some embarrassing typo, i'll edit. but if you made a post and now regret it, sorry. although how that could happen in any of the forums i mod is beyond me. it's not like i'm modding fym or anything. :wink:

Depending on the reasons, I wouldnt have a problem editing someone's post for them. Typos, maybe want to take something out ... fine, as long as it doesnt effect the rest of the thread and/or the mods see it as ok to edit.

years to edit a post??

its gotta be one hell of a post to be relevant for years, and if thats the case i dont think you'd want to edit it

yeah, for one forum i go to, i don't think there's any time limit on editing. BUT i will say that it isn't that great of a thing, because most people who edit after an hour (like the time limit here), are editing their post to contain only a "." or something - cuz they regret posting what they did. it's rare that anyone discovers two weeks later that their post was incoherent or contained a typo.

i think i've even seen a forum that when you edit, it shows your old post and then the new one! it's insane, but would come in handy for those who try to go back and edit their mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom