Deleting posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
I am going to use Lilly as an example (and I know she will get all pissed at me), but I can't find the other examples (couched tooo far in a thread or I can't remember what thread I saw it in before). I don't think the mods realize this, and I have seen it doen a few times.

Lilly said:
yah i was...i was talking about the one-armed man who stands outside the movie rental place and tells you if your movie selection sucks.

but then i decided i presented it poorly and went to delete it.

GENERAL USERS (non mods/admins) CANNOT DELETE THIER POSTS (if they felt like they said something stupid or wanted to "present it" better.

We can "edit" up to 1/2 hour or whatever the time is, but we cannot DELETE. And, if you edit it more than 30 seconds after you post it...a little thing comes up at the bottom the post saying "edited by....." (I know this well :wink: ). Deleting a post is a special MOD thing.

Here's how I know. I posted something, then went to the edit feature as soon as it posted(the only place that has the "delete" optionis the edit button). Here is what you see:

Delete Post
Delete? To delete this post, check the box to the left and then click the button to the right.
Note: deleting this post will result in the deletion of the entire thread if this post is the first post in the thread.

and then this is what the screen says after you hit the "delete" button:

vBulletin Message
You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You must be a Premium member to access this page or forum. To find out more Click Here.

You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Logged in user: zonelistener [logout]

So....my question is (and you will probably have to discuss this in the Mod forum or something, but, is it right for Mods to use this delete function in the forums that they are not officially mods in? And if so, WHY?

Last edited:
It may be just me, but I wouldn't have thought it's really a big issue. I mean it's not like any of the mods is likely to abuse their mod-ley powers to delete a post of great significance or anything. Who really cares if Mod X decides to delete a post because they think it's irrelevant or something?

Like I said, maybe it's just me and others will disagree, but it doesn't strike me as *that* important. :)

I think I have seen abuse of power. I am not saying Lilly did it in this situation, and that's why I felt is was easier to use this one as an example. :shrug:

I have seen problems (and PM'd who I thought I should PM) with problems in the past.

Again, Lilly followed up the quoted post saying something like "anyone can do it." I, on MANY occasions, would have liked to go back and delete stuff I said...retract, if you will. But, all I can do is "edit."

All I am saying is that it is NOT something everyone can do. If I want something deleted, I have to as (and hope) a mod will delete a post...or leave a post like the next one I post.....:wink:

if you have a problem with something a mod is doing, it'd probably be best to take it up with that mod in particular. i personally don't think anyone should be able to delete their own posts, but maybe only posts in the forum they moderate (for those worst-case scenarios).

Zoney,
If you feel a mod is 'abusing their power' please discuss it with that particular mod or pm Elvis.

I dont really think its fair to be calling out mods and/or problems you have with them in a public forum.

If anyone disagrees, please feel free to pm me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom