delete post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I wanted to edit my post, but accidentally hit "reply" and edited a quote of myself. So then I wanted to edit that and simply delete the post altogether (and edit the original one like I meant). I check the box and hit the button like it says to do, but it keeps saying I don't have permission.
Are we not supposed to be able to delete our own posts? If so, why is it even available?

:scratch:

Members cannot delete their own posts. The box is there for moderators.

Some of our posts should be deleted, the forum would be better off without them. ;) Like say somebody made a rude post, and changed their mind and wanted to get rid of it. Even if they edit out everything but a ., people still know they posted something and wonder what it was, and may assume it was worse than it was. If the entire post was gone, nobody would ever know. Of course, there should be a time limit on it.

On the other hand, I hate another board I'm on that lets anyone change or delete their own posts indefinitely. Rude people go way back and eliminate the evidence of what they did months ago. I do think if you do it you should have to live with it, but at least let us have an hour to change our minds?

RocknRollKitty said:
I do think if you do it you should have to live with it, but at least let us have an hour to change our minds?

I agree. I was soooo confused b/c I kept trying to delete the stupid post and it said I didn't have permission, so then I thought maybe I'd been logged out, but that wasn't it, so then I thought maybe I was forgetting to check the box before clicking the button....it's not a big deal, just seems like there's no point in having the option there, even w/ a little blurb of instructions, when it's really not available. Can you make it available for the same amount of time you can edit a post? B/c you have what like an hour to edit a post....so the arguement that people will post something rude and then quick delete the post doesn't hold up b/c I've seen people do this just by editing the post.

Yeah, and when they edit the post, or leave nothing but a dot, you know it was something rude anyway, so if it were deleted it would be better because then no one would assume what terrible thing they must have said.

Or if you're like me and just make simple, stupid mistakes and would like to just delete the post rather than wasting space or harassing a mod to delete it for you....

Just an FYI...

There could be many reasons posts are edited. I do edit mine for misspellings (as I have vision problems). I am thankful that option is there for me 'cause I need it and might have accidentally made a big boo-boo :ohmy:

p.s. And, sometimes, I just want to add something, such as this:

"October,
the trees are stripped bare
of all they wear...
What do I care.

October...."

Happy OCTOBER to U2! One of my favorite U2 records! :applaud:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom