costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoney!

ONE love, blood, life
Elvis said:
Unfortunately this site costs $ to run, and atleast at this point everything can't be 'free'.

Does all the funding come from Premium memberships? You must get SOME money or server space from Totaltickets.com?

Beyond server space and domain hosting, what other costs are there...and how does that compare with the number of people donating via premium memberships? What is the break-even point for interference.com (in terms of premium memberships)?

I realize this thread might not be the forum for this, but I think opening some of the features up for non-premiums is a pretty good idea! Nevermind the fact that it seems that no one ever seems to ask these questions!

I'd like to address topics/questions of this nature, now and in the future:

------------------
Prior to the introduction of Premium Membership I openly disclosed a lot of financial information regarding Interference.com. This was done in order to communicate the dire need to raise money to continue to operate the site.

At this point (since the original disclosures) I will no longer discuss the financial status, expenses, hosting arrangements, server specifics. other hardware specifics, network specifics, advertising contracts (selling or purchasing), methods used, intellectual property, etc etc etc.... unless I feel that doing so may somehow contribute vitally with something I am trying to communicate to the forum/site membership.

Interference.com is a privately held web site, not a public corporation. The information you are asking for, frankly, is none of your business, nor your concern, as you are not a shareholder, nor a partner. Even as paying member of this site, you would not be entitled to this private information.
------------------

That said....
The site is currently breaking even on a yearly basis, however, it's still in the red after a decade's worth of expenses.

All staff is currently on a volunteer basis, and that includes my time as well.

Elvis said:

The site is currently breaking even on a yearly basis, however, it's still in the red after a decade's worth of expenses.

All staff is currently on a volunteer basis, and that includes my time as well.

Thank you!

I truly hope that when things are caught up, the longtime volunteer staffers get some reparation for their dedication!

That being said...if this were my site, I would feel a moral or "civic" obligation to keep the people who have donated for many years informed. I would never want them to feel cheated after I had asked for donations to keep the COMMUNITY running. After all, this is a COMMUNITY you have developed! I feel it is a matter of trust!

Last edited:
Just a small clarification...

Premium Memberships are not a donation. Prior to the inception of Premium Memberships, aside from out of my pocket $, we did ask for donations, and yes, we still do have the 'donate' buttons --- however, no one ever uses them anymore, and eventually I'll probably jsut remove them one of these days.

I forsee a closed thread win over answered questions!

Elvis said:
Just a small clarification...

Premium Memberships are not a donation. Prior to the inception of Premium Memberships, aside from out of my pocket $, we did ask for donations, and yes, we still do have the 'donate' buttons --- however, no one ever uses them anymore, and eventually I'll probably jsut remove them one of these days.

So now it is a business? And you report revenue because of potential taxes or something a business would do?

:confused:

entrepreneur :up:

And for more clarification for the membership of Interference...this is from the FAQs....might want to update them if it is no longer a "donation"! :up:

Do I have to pay for membership through Interference? I used to be able to do all the cool things with my account, and now I can't! What gives?!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to the extreme costs it took for Elvis to keep the site running, he felt it was only fair to ask for people to help donate. It's a measly $12 (US) a year, or $2 (US) a month. With the money, you'll be able to do all the things you used to be able to do, such as send private messages and view others' profiles. Of course, you can always decide to try it out first, or not send money at all. You'll still be able to post, don't worry. :)

And to make things easier, you might want to say $12 PER YEAR or $2 monthly. It reads as if it is "fuzzy" math! :lol:

Last edited:
Knowing the answers to zoney's questions would settle a lot of topics that mofo and I frequently debate. :up:

zoney, at this point I wouldnt call interference a business (atleast not a profitable one)... although, yes, i keep track of expenses/income, and yes... it's all reported taxes.

no problem. I dont really mind answering general questions.

I'm a fairly private person, so I do mind when invasive questions are asked, or when people demand answers as if I'm a publicly elected official, or a public corporation.

Back
Top Bottom